IGNORED

polara golf balls

Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by golfhacker2011

Sean - Your description of what happens on the second shot is incorrect.   The ball never exaggerates a slice or hook no matter how the ball is positioned.   If the ball is not aligned in its optimum orientation to prevent slices and hooks, it just behaves like a normal golf ball. In all cases I find the ball is 1-2 club lengths longer off irons so instead of playing a 5 iron I play a 7 iron with the Polara.  Without going into the physics of how it works (I have a PhD in Chemical Engineering and a strong science background, so I understand the aerodynamics and mechanical dynamics of what is going on here), the best way to describe it is the ball prevents the curvature of flight seen with slice and hook shots.  I have played a lot of rounds with this ball and can tell you it has never gone in the wrong direction unless I pulled or pushed it that way (pulls and pushes are straight shots, hooks and slices have curvature due to the accelerating force of the mis-directed lift vector).  I am a 28 handicapper and I now hit nearly every fairway with this ball.  Yes, I even take a one Mulligan per 9 holes and I even offer gimme's to people on 2 ft putts - these are not part of the USGA Rules but they are part of the fabric of golf.  For recreational golfers like me the Polara ball makes the game a lot of fun.  It does not remove all of the challenge, just one of the biggest frustrations.  I can now crush the ball on drives and not worry about slicing.    For Pros, the ball is nonconforming (and should remain so).  Funny thing is, now the USGA and PGA are even saying that the Polara ball is alright for recreational golfers because it will help get more people into golf.  And that is good for all of us.   If you want to be a purist and play by the rules, have at it.  Nobody is going to stop you and I admire people like you have been able to develop their golf skills to such a high level.  But for the rest of us, please don't discourage us by telling us we are cheating or ruining the game - because we are not.  The game of golf is just that - a game, meant to be enjoyed.  And btw, the rules and equipment have changed so much over the years that I am not even sure what a golf purist is any more.  Look at the 1744 Rules and ask yourself "how did we get here?"  The Polara ball did conform to the rules of golf until the USGA created a rule specifically to outlaw the Polara ball and for doing so, they had to pay Polara $1.4M in an out of court settlement.  Drivers today with all the adjustable weighting systems, materials, biases, etc - how can a purist even look at these?  And besides, they don't correct 75% of a slice like the Polara does ($400 partial slice solution vs $2 complete slice & hook solution - wow)

Thursday is garbage day.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by golfhacker2011

Sean - Your description of what happens on the second shot is incorrect.   The ball never exaggerates a slice or hook no matter how the ball is positioned.   If the ball is not aligned in its optimum orientation to prevent slices and hooks, it just behaves like a normal golf ball. In all cases I find the ball is 1-2 club lengths longer off irons so instead of playing a 5 iron I play a 7 iron with the Polara.  Without going into the physics of how it works (I have a PhD in Chemical Engineering and a strong science background, so I understand the aerodynamics and mechanical dynamics of what is going on here), the best way to describe it is the ball prevents the curvature of flight seen with slice and hook shots.  I have played a lot of rounds with this ball and can tell you it has never gone in the wrong direction unless I pulled or pushed it that way (pulls and pushes are straight shots, hooks and slices have curvature due to the accelerating force of the mis-directed lift vector).  I am a 28 handicapper and I now hit nearly every fairway with this ball.  Yes, I even take a one Mulligan per 9 holes and I even offer gimme's to people on 2 ft putts - these are not part of the USGA Rules but they are part of the fabric of golf.  For recreational golfers like me the Polara ball makes the game a lot of fun.  It does not remove all of the challenge, just one of the biggest frustrations.  I can now crush the ball on drives and not worry about slicing.    For Pros, the ball is nonconforming (and should remain so).  Funny thing is, now the USGA and PGA are even saying that the Polara ball is alright for recreational golfers because it will help get more people into golf.  And that is good for all of us.   If you want to be a purist and play by the rules, have at it.  Nobody is going to stop you and I admire people like you have been able to develop their golf skills to such a high level.  But for the rest of us, please don't discourage us by telling us we are cheating or ruining the game - because we are not.  The game of golf is just that - a game, meant to be enjoyed.  And btw, the rules and equipment have changed so much over the years that I am not even sure what a golf purist is any more.  Look at the 1744 Rules and ask yourself "how did we get here?"  The Polara ball did conform to the rules of golf until the USGA created a rule specifically to outlaw the Polara ball and for doing so, they had to pay Polara $1.4M in an out of court settlement.  Drivers today with all the adjustable weighting systems, materials, biases, etc - how can a purist even look at these?  And besides, they don't correct 75% of a slice like the Polara does ($400 partial slice solution vs $2 complete slice & hook solution - wow)

I guess that is fine if you don't actually care to get better and I really really hope you never ever ever ever ever ever ever compete in a competition with those balls. Its fun if all you want to do is play a few rounds of golf a year.

I'm interested in the fact that you would join a golf forum though if that is your motive. That to me says, hey I like golf quite a bit and I want to improve. But then at the same time you go and use a cheater ball which won't help you at all.

YOU are in fact cheating because you are breaking the rules of golf. I wouldn't say you are ruining the game unless you play against other people for prizes but still cheating you are. And it sucks for you because if you join a tournament, unless you cheat with your cheater ball, you will be playing to a lower handicap which you will have no chance of shooting with a normal ball because you cheat during practice. I'm not saying you do this but the second you compete at any level you will run into this problem until you follow the rules and get on the same playing field as everyone else.

Technology has its place in sports I think, and that's why there are lots of rules pertaining to what is allowed. You seem to think the many rules are just junk. Some things just make the sport too much easier. Cork bats, tar on your football gloves, STEROIDS.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jshots

I guess that is fine if you don't actually care to get better and I really really hope you never ever ever ever ever ever ever compete in a competition with those balls. Its fun if all you want to do is play a few rounds of golf a year.

I'm interested in the fact that you would join a golf forum though if that is your motive. That to me says, hey I like golf quite a bit and I want to improve. But then at the same time you go and use a cheater ball which won't help you at all.

YOU are in fact cheating because you are breaking the rules of golf. I wouldn't say you are ruining the game unless you play against other people for prizes but still cheating you are. And it sucks for you because if you join a tournament, unless you cheat with your cheater ball, you will be playing to a lower handicap which you will have no chance of shooting with a normal ball because you cheat during practice. I'm not saying you do this but the second you compete at any level you will run into this problem until you follow the rules and get on the same playing field as everyone else.

Technology has its place in sports I think, and that's why there are lots of rules pertaining to what is allowed. You seem to think the many rules are just junk. Some things just make the sport too much easier. Cork bats, tar on your football gloves, STEROIDS.

"Talking bee-ah! How do we know this isnt some kind of holographic, 
motion-picture-capture Hollywood wizardry? They could be using laser 
beams! Robotics! Ventriloquism! Clones! For all we know, he could 
be on steroids!"

Layton T. Montgomery: Bee Movie 2007

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I played the Polara for the first time last week and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am 61 and need the excercise. I've played golf for over 50 years now and have quit 3 times out of frustration because of the uncontrolled slice. I have spent thousands on lessons with 5'8" 150lb pros who have absolutely no idea how to work with someone built like me. (See Stadler's comments)  I bought USGA approved slice reducing drivers and use USGA approved slice reducing balls with no benefit. This one works. (Remember, they lost the law suit against this ball)  Off the tee, you allign the arrow with your target. You still have to make good contact, but if you do, it goes straight. Everywhere else you play it as it lays without any detriment I could see. It does not appear to affect top or back spin, or putting. It does reduce lift when alligned with the arrow.

This ball has sparked discussion about a two level USGA system, with a new recreational golf category for people like me. I doubt it will go anywhere because USGA works for the pros and the manufacturers, who make all that money off lessons and lost golf balls. USGA has commented, however, that they can see how it might increase the enjoyment of those like me and actually increase participation, so maybe......

I do not bet on golf, do not play in tournaments and do not compete with anyone out there. I do not give a hoot about a handicap. I frequently don't keep score and use the foot wedge to improve impossible lies. This ball keeps me out of the woods and water on tee shots and keeps me playing at a pace that will not slow down those behind me. In one round, it has improved my set-up and targeting, simply because it goes exactly where you aim it.(I checked this using my regular ball)  I have never learned anything from trying impossible shots. I cannot apply a slight draw or fade consistently with any club and never could. I still love being out there and getting the workout. My friends will enjoy seeing me having more fun, and will enjoy playing with me more.

Anyone of you tight sphinctered, arrogant nits out there that say I can't do it this way should buy a sleeve of these and insert it in the apperature of your choice. Maybe they can help you stop shanking your attitude.

• Upvote 2

Whatever gets you out on the course paying greens fees is is fine by the USGA as long as you're not entering tournaments with that ball. Don't forget to tee it forward and fix your divots!!

Originally Posted by dmin4

Anyone of you . . .

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

i was talking to a buddy of mine and he said he was thinking of buying some Polara golf balls.  after reviewing them i see a lot of golfers in other forums are either pissed about them or do not care.  just thought i would ask and see what you guys and gals thought.

Jshots you can think anything you want about this ball,the fact of the matter is that it only really affects 18 shots per round,Unless youre readjusting your ball every shot,I am the father of a 18 year old disabled young man and do not get the chance to get out to the course a lot-If ive gone 5-7 times in 1 season ive done good!!The first 3 times i played this year were with titelist balls and i shot 110,115,118,slicing the ball horribly off the tee the last round i played with polaras and was able to shoot 95,with most of my second shots coming from my own fairway,for a recreational golfer such as myself its much more fun playing from the fairway,than from the rough or woods or the next fairway.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Whatever gets you out on the course paying greens fees is is fine by the USGA as long as you're not entering tournaments with that ball. Don't forget to tee it forward and fix your divots!!

+1

Golf should be a game to be enjoyed so as long as you're not competing against others you should play as you see fit, whether that's using Polara balls or not, giving yourself free drops from bad lies or not, re-taking fluffed tee shots without penalty etc.

For me I enjoy the "challenge" of golf. I play balls as they lie or if I have to take a penalty I will (even if it's only me on the course!) because I want to improve my game and get as good as I can be sticking to all the rules. When I go out with one of my buddies however he's only just starting out and likes to just wander around hitting the ball and putting down; it serves no purpose to penalise him for bad shots as he doesn't even record his scores anyway. The same goes for my grandfather; he plays for the enjoyment and fitness aspect of the game rather than scoring and improving his swing, therefore I don't care what rules he wants to stick to or not stick to, I can still play my "serious" game alongside his "fun" game.

In fact I may actually see if I can find some Polara balls for him here in the UK.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

First post here and believe it or not I have just bought a doz of the xd polara's just to try.  I hit the ball fairly straight or sometimes with a slight pull.  Avg distance of driving is around 230-240 yds carry.  Just getting back into the game after a very very long layoff.  But my game is finally starting to come around.  Putting and driving I can do decently.  Anyways as for these balls.  I wouldn't waste your money or time on these.  I easily out hit them with just about any other decent ball I may have on the tee at the time.  Precept, Callaway and Titelist.  I noticed a pronounced tendancy for the these balls(polara's) to kind of have a knuckle ball effect to them at times.  Almost like the core gets knocked out of kilter.  They reach apogee and then will sink about 10 or 15 feet and continue on.  Anyways that's my take on them.  Not as long as a decent golf ball either.  Just not that great imho.  Although like I said I hit the ball pretty straight anyways or sometimes with a slight pull.  thanks

PS  I also play "scotch" golf.

Originally Posted by tjzjtmack

Jshots you can think anything you want about this ball,the fact of the matter is that it only really affects 18 shots per round,Unless youre readjusting your ball every shot,I am the father of a 18 year old disabled young man and do not get the chance to get out to the course a lot-If ive gone 5-7 times in 1 season ive done good!!The first 3 times i played this year were with titelist balls and i shot 110,115,118,slicing the ball horribly off the tee the last round i played with polaras and was able to shoot 95,with most of my second shots coming from my own fairway,for a recreational golfer such as myself its much more fun playing from the fairway,than from the rough or woods or the next fairway.

Yeah maybe my first post was a little harsh. Of course I want the things you get out of this ball. At the same time I want to be on a level field with everyone else. I won't use one because it's going to put me behind in a tournament when I can't use one.

If you are only playing occasional golf and not competing against others that aren't using the ball, then it is a good thing.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dmin4

I played the Polara for the first time last week and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I am 61 and need the excercise. I've played golf for over 50 years now and have quit 3 times out of frustration because of the uncontrolled slice. I have spent thousands on lessons with 5'8" 150lb pros who have absolutely no idea how to work with someone built like me. (See Stadler's comments)  I bought USGA approved slice reducing drivers and use USGA approved slice reducing balls with no benefit. This one works. (Remember, they lost the law suit against this ball)  Off the tee, you allign the arrow with your target. You still have to make good contact, but if you do, it goes straight. Everywhere else you play it as it lays without any detriment I could see. It does not appear to affect top or back spin, or putting. It does reduce lift when alligned with the arrow.

This ball has sparked discussion about a two level USGA system, with a new recreational golf category for people like me. I doubt it will go anywhere because USGA works for the pros and the manufacturers, who make all that money off lessons and lost golf balls. USGA has commented, however, that they can see how it might increase the enjoyment of those like me and actually increase participation, so maybe......

I do not bet on golf, do not play in tournaments and do not compete with anyone out there. I do not give a hoot about a handicap. I frequently don't keep score and use the foot wedge to improve impossible lies. This ball keeps me out of the woods and water on tee shots and keeps me playing at a pace that will not slow down those behind me. In one round, it has improved my set-up and targeting, simply because it goes exactly where you aim it.(I checked this using my regular ball)  I have never learned anything from trying impossible shots. I cannot apply a slight draw or fade consistently with any club and never could. I still love being out there and getting the workout. My friends will enjoy seeing me having more fun, and will enjoy playing with me more.

Anyone of you tight sphinctered, arrogant nits out there that say I can't do it this way should buy a sleeve of these and insert it in the apperature of your choice. Maybe they can help you stop shanking your attitude.

Hear, hear. I stink at golf and got to the point where I was tired of embarrassing myself in front of strangers...I've never soiled myself but I bet it's a lot less humiliating than playing 18 holes at a new golf course!

I played a round today using these balls and broke 100. Golf is supposed to be you and against you, so if I can leave the course at the end of the day with a smile on my face then great. I love being out on the course and anything that makes it easier for me is fantastic. As for cheating, oh give me a break. I hate to say but most of the people I play with probably cheat on their taxes or business expenses and somehow that's ok. But god forbid a 50 year old uses a little white ball that has a few more dimples...ooooh the golf police are going to bust me...

Hi All,

Polara self-correcting golf balls work by counter-acting the side spin that creates the hook or slice.

This is done by an asymetrical dimple design.

When properly aligned to target using the arrow marking on the ball this sets the dimple pattern in the proper position to work on the side-spin.

If you do not align the dimples properly using the arrow marking, the ball will fly just like any normal golf ball.

This asymetrical dimple design does work. It has been proven in independent tests.

It will not affect your putting.

Amen brother. Get to the range and do some work. I would be in favor of the balls though because I think it will speed up play. I also think that if you can't break 100, you shouldn't be on the course, you should be at the range. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Right on post. I have been playing for 55 years. When I was in my 20's I routinely shot in the mid to high 80's. Yet in my whole life I have never broken 80. Not once. The frustration of that caused me to quit the game for years at a time. Now I am a hacker who routinely hits in the high 90's.My game is still crap. So why on earth if I can get a ball that does not put me in the desert or the ocean as much... why on earth shouldn't I use that ball? Since I too don't bet on my game or play tournaments, who other than me really gives a damn about my game? If you care so much about my game that you want to dictate what ball I hit, then your sphincter IS too tight.

• 4 months later...

I have tried them twice now. They help if you have a slice or hook. You still have hit them flush tho. In other words they won't correct a shank or chunk. Draw back, because they correct by using forward spin on the ball you'll lose alot of distance. Sometimes it will even have topspin. So your ball can dive into the ground. My suggestion is to use distance balls=less side spin plus cheaper

• 11 months later...

I play 9 holes a week and fight a bad hook . Tried these balls and hit 90% of fairways . I don't play in tournaments , don't bet during the round . You know what , golf is now FUN . I'm in the fairway . The purists and USGA can go fly . If the "ruling bodies " were smart , they would realize that the idea is to get MORE people playing . More recreational players are LEAVING the game. Let the pros abide by the guidelines . Move a leave in the bunker ., putters too long , can't ground your club in a bunker , write down the wrong score , etc etc   Most of the phonies who protest here are the same "purists" who play at private clubs and perpetually lie about their handicaps , but I forgot , they play with a ball with the approved dimple design. Get over yourselves .

Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!