IGNORED

Hello, New to Golf here...

DARE SUPPORTER
Note: This thread is 4851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

As stated, I'm new to golf.

I have only played probably 4-5 times total and that was over 6 yrs ago. Alot of my friends and co-workers talk alot about golf and it has finally hit me where I decided to start. Talking to my friends they suggested me not to splurge being so new, and instead invest in some used club to get me started. Well I did, I picked up a set of Cleveland Tour Action Irons and a Nike SQ Driver for cheap.

Do you all think that type of clubs will be ok to start with?

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Thanks.

First, welcome to golf and the board!

Next... are your irons the Cleveland TA6s?  Those are some nice irons.  And I love my Nike SQ driver.

As for whether they're good starting clubs... they're certainly forgiving enough.  You might decide a year or two from now that the TA6s are too forgiving, but that's hardly the worst problem to have!

However, there are some other issues with starting clubs.  Are they comfortable at address?  Set up to a golf ball.  Are you standing comfortably?  If all you have to do is grip down on it a bit, that's not bad.  If you feel like you're too far over, the clubs might be too short.

Also, do you know what shafts are in them?  If they're TA6s, I'm guessing you have a flex comparable to R300 (possibly R300 itself).  If there's a sticker about 2/3 up the shaft, it probably has a designation like that.  As a beginner, that's probably OK, unless you're super athletic and coming from another sport where you swing things quickly (if you were an elite baseball or hockey player, for example).

If they're comfortable at address and have a reasonable shaft flex, they're fine to start with.

By the way, which irons did you get?  I don't mean the name (you told us that already), but which numbers and letters are in there?  Most sets are 3-P (3, 4, 5, ... 9, Pitching Wedge) or 4-A (4, 5, ... 8, 9, Pitching Wedge,  A/G/D/U wedge).

Also, if you're going to start playing with some regularity, pick a ball to play for now.  There are some great starting balls that are really inexpensive.  Noodles are popular, as are some of Top Flite's offerings.  Dunlop and Slazenger aren't bad either.  Pick one that seems fun, try it for a dozen, and if you like it, stick with it.  But pick based on what works for you, not what works for your favorite professional (or for anyone other than you.

When I was beginning, I wanted to play Slazengers because I knew that's what James Bond played.  Nevermind I was basing this off a fictional character with a single digit handicap and a scene from a movie in the 60s.

Two things to consider as you're getting started.  You don't need to answer these now.  Just think of them before you buy more clubs, so you don't end up with a club you don't need.

- What kind of putter do you like?  Try your friends' putters (don't do this during a round).  Try some in a store.   Look at some online.  Ultimately, you'll want a putter, and some people keep putters forever.  Up until about a year ago, Tiger had been using the same putter since at least the late 90s.  There are guys on Tour - who can have pretty much any putter they want, fit for them, for free - who keep the same one forever.    But there are soooo many styles out there to choose from.

- What do you want your set make up to be?  A good way to go about deciding this, at least at first, is to figure out which clubs you like hitting.

Golf is nice in that you get to choose what equipment you play with, to a very fine amount of detail.  You'll sometimes hear about professionals having odd combinations.  Sometimes, this is a one-time thing, for a specific course and strategy plan (Phil Mickelson's 2-driver approach at The Masters a few years back).  Other times, it is a wide strategy thing, and catches on, such as when Tom Kite began using three wedges instead of two.

Well, I've talked your eyes off at this point.  Let me know if you have other questions, or if I can help you in some other way.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ones I have are actually the TA5's, the sticker on the shaft says Cleveland Golf True Temper (Made is The good ole USA).

I have the 3-PW.

The set I bought actually came with some very old fairways woods (3, 4, 5) (the heads are actually wood), I will probably be replacing those shortly as Im not a fan of them.

My putter that came with everything I bought is an older callaway, I played around with it on the putting green at the driving range yesterday and it was a nice fit, I will probably look around a get a newer one soon.

As far as fit goes with the irons, I hit approx. 100-100 balls at the range yesterday first time using these irons and thy felt good and I didnt notice a size problem, I felt comfortable in stance.

Also thanks for all the info and input, I greatly appreciate it being so new to this sport.

• 1 month later...

Well everyone this is now June and I have been playing like crazy since my first post and Im addicted. I love this game.

The Cleveland TA5 are now retired from my bag, I picked up another used set of Taylormade 320's and am having much better success, I really like these irons. I originally had an older calloway putter but now I just bought a new Cleveland Putter and am a big fan of it, im going to re-grip it with a little larger grip. I also picked up a titleist vokey 50* and 56* and have been having huge succes with my chip shots.

Just wanted to give a little up to date news.

Note: This thread is 4851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!