IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

Also, would a steeper shoulder turn help to make the tilt of my right arm at the top of the backswing (shown below) more vertical, or ideally, the opposite way, as per Jim Hardy below?

Yeah you can do this drill as well to see what the "steeper shoulders" would look and feel like.  Might also be good to feel a steeper hip turn or a higher right hip to get the steeper shoulders.  Look at Jim's hip slant.  Sometimes guys that just try to get the shoulders steeper end up moving the head down.  I haven't looked through this entire thread so I'm just going off the last few posts

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah you can do this drill as well to see what the "steeper shoulders" would look and feel like.  Might also be good to feel a steeper hip turn or a higher right hip to get the steeper shoulders.  Look at Jim's hip slant.  Sometimes guys that just try to get the shoulders steeper end up moving the head down.  I haven't looked through this entire thread so I'm just going off the last few posts

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Thanks Mike. I'll give those drills a try.

Quick question and a comment.

The question : Am I keeping my right elbow too close to my side? I struggle to get the hands any higher keeping it as close as I do - I find if I lift it off my ribcage more I can get the hands up further.

And the comment : Although this will be difficult to diagnose without video... I find that when I try to get my hands higher I start to cut across the ball out-to-in, I think this is down to not getting my hands in enough making me come over the top. The higher I get my hands the less in I seem to get them

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting closer to where I want to be. Video below.

I'd like to see my hands get higher still and to get the 'cup' in my left wrist flattened at least a little at the top.

Right elbow position is better - staying in front of the shirt seam (which my jumper shows quite well) I could let my right arm float off my body a little which I think would help get my hands higher but I don't want to get disconnected.

The 'feel' that I'm using is that my elbows stay together and all my right arm does is hinge towards my head.

From my POV it looks like I'm taking the club back way outside of the ball (is that even possible), but obviously I'm not - I'm taking it back more along the lines of how it should be done, rather than whipping it straight back to the inside as per the previous vids.

My posture at address is more rounded too - feeling more 'posterior' - I just need to remember to keep doing it.

Thanks Mike for allowing me to pick your brain! I now feel as if I know what I'm trying to do re the right arm position.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new video showing me actually hitting a ball.

I've got a full length glass door behind me so I'm using that as a mirror - in case you were wondering why I keep looking to the left of the screen.

DTL

Caddy view

My observations:

• Upper centre moves behind the ball, I stop turning my shoulders down.
  • I don't tuck my hips under in the follow through
  • I have no power, it's as if I just flop back onto the ball - it doesn't look like I really use my hips on the downswing...

The last swing on caddy view I'd been feeling like I was rolling my right foot up onto my toe rather than banking it over, so tried to keep it down longer but ended up just swinging with my arms.

Overall, I'm not too disappointed with where I'm at at the minute.

Also, for anyone at Evolvr... are these at a sufficient quality - there's no chance of me getting anew camera anytime soon - that using Evolvr would be worthwhile?

Cheers

Also, I'm over correcting on the takeaway. Rather than whipping the club head straight back to the inside as per my previous vids, i'm picking it up far too steeply, the clubhead appears to even go outside of the ball!

Originally Posted by keeps21

Also, for anyone at Evolvr... are these at a sufficient quality - there's no chance of me getting anew camera anytime soon - that using Evolvr would be worthwhile?

Cheers

Yep these would work great.  Really nice practice, looking good

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yep these would work great.  Really nice practice, looking good

Thanks Mike.

As you saw on facebook I've signed up for Evolvr and uploaded these 2 vids. Can't wait for some feedback :-)

Well your swing path is not inside out. But Outside in.

There is your fade / slice coming from.

It somehow looks your not getting after it, as if your holding back on the downswing.

I think you can fix this with keeping your right arm straight on the backswing and make

sure the first movement on the downswing is with hips. this way you get the club back in the right direction.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Had my first lesson from Evolvr earlier in the week in which James asked me to work on a higher handle and slightly weaker grip at set up as well as a more aggressive lower body, quicker tempo and to try to make the transition more fluid. So here is an attempt at that. DTL
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LA6ngv8Wo8[/VIDEO] Caddy View
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/NmIUF-cwBzE[/VIDEO]

• 2 weeks later...

The focus of my 2nd lesson was elbows and rates. I.e. Getting the hands down to the delivery position as I slide my hips to the left.

Almost there... Need to get my elbows closer together.

Caddy view

DTL

A good animated gif for reference here - http://stephenhoult.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hogan.gif - Hogan showing how he starts the downswing and where his right elbow gets to. This is taken from a youtube video.

Tried uploading it, and also embedding it using the url above but TST doesn't seem to like it.

Need to stop pulling my elbows apart and rolling my forearms when initiating the backswing as it's causing me to get too flat. Here I was trying to feel what I see in the Hogan image above and not being too successful...

Possibly too much hip slide.

Caddy View

DTL

Changing the picture... albeit slowly.

• I'm noticing more and more that my head drops back just before impact.
  • Arm position at p4 looks decent on the posterior view (not too far behind me),
  • Right arm position (elbow closer to body) at p6 looks better too from the posterior view - looks better than it does from front on.

Resulting in a more in to out swing rather than over the top as per some recent vids.

You see the miss that plagued my last round with the first proper swing DTL. Thinned at 45 degrees to the right. the 2nd swing may even be a shank - if not then very close.

DTL

Front On

Posterior

DTL

Better at A2, club head is passing through the hands rather than being whipped inside - need to ingrain this as if I don't think about it I whip it inside my hands.

Better posture - hands closer to thighs (1 hand width between hands and thighs - was too far away in previous videos more like 2 hand widths). Head angled more down, looking at ball from centre vision.

Face on - A6 looks decent. Also maintaining flying wedge well into follow through.

Must stop initiating the swing by rolling my left arm - this pushesthe elbows apart and brings the club head inside at A2.

Head moves back slightly at top of swing, then goes forward a little then drops back to address position at impact and then falls back a little further. Not entirely sure why, but it probably causes the fat / thin shots I often hit.