IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

A couple of Driver swings.

Need to tilt my head down more to look at the ball out of my centre vision.

Need to get butt of club closer to my thighs at address - 1 hand width away.

Both things I was advised to do in an Evolvr lesson, just plain forgot to do them when recording this.

Need to get a better video to send in to evolvr as the mat i'm hitting off puts the ball a good 1.5" above my feet, plus the height of the tee which means i'm standing up taller at address and choking down a little on the club...

The usual result with the driver is either a pull slice, push slice or a pop up. Usually all heel hits, and when I say heel hits, I mean if it was an iron it'd have been a shank.

My back foot actually lifts off the ground in the DTL swing - not sure if that's because my weight is forward or the gravel...

DTL

Face on

And a couple of misses.

The back of my left hand is almost facing the sky at impact so the club face is wide open - push slice. These were either very low on the club face or as close as you can get to the heel without missing altogether...

Still can't hit the ball... Misses are  (big) push slices with the face wide open or shanks.

Am I right in thinking that this hand path is all wrong? (marked positions are where the butt of the club is - green is backswing, yellow is downswing) - I think the downswing path should be inside of the backswing path all the way until impact at least... but it goes outside of the backswing path half way down. - This is taken from the video below.

There's a couple of swings in the DTL video - I'd be very interested in which swing people think is the better swing - in the first I let my weight go to the right and try to get my hands up over my head (a la 2 plane /leadbetter) and then drop the club into the slot - I don't get anywhere near head height...

The second is a centred pivot swing.

DTL

FO - Centred pivot only

Cheers.

Left arm gets very flexed and things look very narrow into the followthrough.  This is a good left arm for pitching, not for the longer clubs

Think this drill or feel may help.

Stand up with the hands in front of your stomach, then push the hips forward, feel weight on your left foot.  Can push the hips more forward than this pic.

Then rotate to the finish without hinging the club up.  Knees and thighs are together, right heel is released off the ground. Feel more pressure point #1 to keep the arms wider.  Make sure that left elbow doesn't flex behind you.  This will help your stretch into the followthrough.

Then when you get the feel for it, you can start smashing shots making the followthrough look like this.  Swing hard but keep the arms stretched into the followthrough.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Mike. I'll give that a try.

Could separating the elbows into the follow through be causing the shanks?

It seems like the shanks are when I swing more in to out, and the push slices come because I'm pulling the arms apart... or am I pulling the arms apart because I think I'm going to shank it...

Originally Posted by keeps21

Could separating the elbows into the follow through be causing the shanks?

It seems like the shanks are when I swing more in to out, and the push slices come because I'm pulling the arms apart... or am I pulling the arms apart because I think I'm going to shank it...

Separating the elbows too much, too soon is never a good thing for full shots Regarding the shanks, I'll just say I think you'll see much better results by not allowing the left elbow to flex behind you.

Mike McLoughlin

Separating the elbows too much, too soon is never a good thing for full shots a2_wink.gif Regarding the shanks, I'll just say I think you'll see much better results by not allowing the left elbow to flex behind you.

Makes sense. The only shot I could hit in the direction I was aiming was a sawn off punch shot. :-)

An attempt at the Mac drill. Straighter arms into the followthrough - I go a little further into the followthrough than Mac - need more control.

All shots were closer to the heel than the centre of the clubface, but no shanks

Nice work, here's the next piece to consider.  Really take a look at the difference in the two pics.  Like I said a couple posts ago, " Knees and thighs are together, right heel is released off the ground."  Take a video of yourself doing the drill, just to make sure you're getting in these positions.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

I'm friends with my Driver again. Went to the range and ironed out our differences.

No video so I don't know what I WAS doing that fixed it, but what I was TRYING to do was get my right elbow into my right hip (get into the delivery position) on the downswing, getting to a full follow through (banking right foot and keeping going to up on the toe) and pushing up off the floor.

Limited flight range balls were flying 180ish and running out and up the hill at the end of the range at 210 yards (I'm not a big hitter as you can tell from the speed of my swings in this thread so I'm very happy with that). Consistently starting straight with a 10 yard or so fade, more importantly they would all have been playable on the course. Actually looking forward to my next round now.

• 2 weeks later...

DTL

FO

Getting my hands where I want them at the top - just need to stop the club crossing the line and stop the little drop that flattens my downswing out.

Note : youtube is taking a while to process them...

Controlling Key #4 - diagonal sweet spot path better.

At A4 - higher hands, hands more in front of the body and club shaft laid off.

There's a few swings in each vid.

DTL

FO

Notes:  I was feeling a little chicken wingy in a couple of these swings...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't lost alignment at A4 yet - think it's almost ingrained!

Working on a better position at A6 (hands closer to right thigh from front on view.) I did it well in the past but lost it. Also working on better extension into the follow through.

DTL

FO

• 1 year later...

Having not play for 18 months or so I'm getting back into golf again. Will have an update as soon as my phone tripod mount arrives (should get 120fps with my Galaxy S5 so the videos should be much clearer).

I'm trying to put in at least half an hour practice a day with video (can't see ballflight).

This is just an update (for myself as much as anyone else) to regroup my thoughts and videos.

This is a playlist of my (7) lessons showing where I got to with Evolvr a couple of summers ago.

I've also got a playlist of all of my uploaded swings here.

(oldest to most recent) - a timeline of how my swing has looked / changed.

Will have an update in the next few days.