Sign in to follow this  
alockrem

Golf Balls - Who's telling the truth?

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 posts in this topic Last Reply

You will not regret adding the Bridgestones. Some are even going for more than the Pro V1's on Ebay. Thats where I buy all my balls. I cannot justify the price at the proshop. I just picked up 50 Pro V1's for $52.00 including shipping. All are in almost new shape. Sure they have some markers on them..but oh well. One thing you will find with hitting the Pro V1's is that after the first hole..your going to have some marks on then.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Q3 - I was exaggerating. I'm sorry if you spent time searching your inventory for a matching quote.

The NXT Tour will spin a bit - unlike the So/Lo - and isn't nearly as pricey as the ProV1. I like them, but I have a tough time with urethane balls like the ProV. They spin too much and I have a tough time controlling it.

DT Solo's are junk balls. If you want a forgiving ball with lots of feel start hitting the Pro V1. I switch off an on between the Pro V1 and the Bridgestone B330S. Bridgestone is longer off the T, but the Pro V1 has more feel around the greens. I am a 4 handicapper...so take it for what its worth

I guess for some of us, a "junk" ball works better...maybe my swing is junk so it's a good match

. I have better results with DT Solo's and NXT's than I do with Pro V1's. Not sure yet why that's the case but I've tested the theory enough to know it's true. It's actually a really good thing since the Pro V1's are more expensive.

Golfchief . . . I believe your league may be imposing a 'one ball rule' but that is at its disgression and this rule is not an official rule of golf. Here is a clarification . . .

Your right my league is full of hard core golfers, most play in other leagues and are tired of golfers using a (putting ball, usually brand new) three foot gimmies and guys changing balls in the middle of the fairway because they have to hit over water If they fine a rule in the book thats what we play. If I only played once a week at my course my handicap is 3-4, however I usually play 6 days a week and some courses I've never played. my scores range 73-84 and if the course is open we play rain,snow,wind or sunshine.

Ty - Thank you for the link. Based on that chart I have the correct balls in mind to test.

golfchief - I am very jealous of your life. 6 days a week is amazing.

The Ball Type I play at the moment is the "Precept Uri Tri Extra Spin" it is not the newest Ball on the market but i really do like the High Spinrate and the very nice and soft feel of this ball. The only thing that i had to get used to was the deeper sound when you Putt it... But that doesnt really matter to me and the Price (8€) is better then ProV1 and his high priced friends.

www.golftestusa.com/balls_fall2002.html

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • Not so much from the perspective of "classic courses", but a lot of places could benefit from getting rid of trees. ... Simple fact is a lot of us just aren't that good.  Lately, it seems that the ash borer has had more to do with tree removal at my area courses than any concept of design. Community GC in Dayton even more wide open than it was before. Truly fairway optional.   
    • I am comfortably in the fairway if I hit my normal fade and I am hitting 3 on the tee if I sliced my first drive. I line up on the right side of the tee as far as allowed and do not aim left but align myself to where I want the ball to end up.
    • I am in agreement with @saevel25 on this one. Design intent is important, and I wish that more courses out there would be "restored" to their original intent. In most cases the addition of trees just eliminated more angles to the green, while also making the holes play more penal for the average golfer than originally intended. I play a lot of tree lined courses, so I am not against the trees...just not a fan of them changing the intent of the design with them. 
    • Interesting that you mention this, because I just saw a couple of tweets about this pop up in my timeline. For example: I think tree removal is almost uniformly a good thing. Most classic courses were designed to be wider than they are today. Trees have narrowed it, making the course more difficult and not play as intended. In that picture above, you have the best angle to the green blocked out by those trees. The other, more important thing to me, is that classic courses doing tree removal sets an example for other courses. I've played many courses that are not nearly as nice as a "classic course" that have wild, unmanageable trees. A lot of those trees overhang the fairway, making the fairway narrower and the hole more difficult. A lot of these trees have low branches that make recoveries, and sometimes finding your ball, impossible. Most courses were not meant to have trees like that and have just been left unmanaged. If Shinnecock taking out trees filters down, I'm all for it. It makes courses easier, which is a good thing. I'm sure some people scoff at trees coming down and making courses easier. Remember that most golf is played by people who aren't very good. Making courses easier makes the game more fun for those people, and they're more likely to come back. As an example of this, my home course recently took out about a dozen trees. These trees only came into play off the tee for average players. Removing the trees made the tee shots look easier and play easier for average players. They also opened up sight lines for better players to take more aggressive (and risky) tee shots. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures to show of this, but it was a great decision by the course. The course plays just as hard for good players, but slightly easier for average players. I have heard no one complain about this. Sure, there's a time and place for trees. And recoveries from the trees can be really fun. But the vast majority of courses have not figured out that balance and are just letting their trees run wild.
    • @DogGolf92 take any advice from me with a grain of salt... For me, it has a lot to do with angle of attack, not trying to kill the ball, and where I want to club to make contact with the turf.  I don't hit either club exactly like an iron, but I also don't "sweep" it as many people describe the feel. Hopefully, someone a bit better will give you some solid advice, but try making adjustments at a slower swing speed until you find something that seems to work consistently (if you haven't already tried this).
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. bs1865
      bs1865
      (43 years old)
    2. DrMJG
      DrMJG
      (66 years old)
    3. Mikejanish
      Mikejanish
      (25 years old)
    4. Stu
      Stu
      (45 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...