IGNORED

Journal - My quest to the 80's - (Continued from the WALL 93-96) thread

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMO, "play" less and practice more. By play less, I mean 18 holes, keeping score and counting all shots. I don't like pounding balls on the range so when I was trying to get from where you are now to lower scores, I utilized a par 3 course and a 9 hole university course at a local private college. Timed right, I could hit multiple balls from any distance without bothering anyone. I also rarely chipped or putted when doing this unless no one was around. Would spend a couple of days just on the short game. Actually "playing" 18 would come after the above routine and would give me an idea of what to work on the following week.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

That's kinda where I'm at with my game right now.  I DO spend a lot of time at the range, but I'm fortunate in that my Grandfather owns a local par 3 course, so I can play there for free whenever I want.  I spend a lot of practice rounds there.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

My grip before was a conventional strong grip, interlocking pink and pointer finger.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

I don't mind hitting on the range but I think I will be changing my routine there.  I will be hitting a lot more high iron shots and focusing on 8 iron and up.  Chris and I are also taking a lesson on the course with the course pro with a focus on short game.

So we played yesterday.  Chris and I both had great rounds.  Chris caught fire on the first 9.  He shot a 40.  He loves the baseball grip.  I was thinking about course management and the one place that I was wondering about was if the need for a drivers on par 4's is that much of an advantage to get in position to get on in 2.  On Chris's first 9 I thought it was a solid point.  Then on the back 9 I shot really well without my driver where the par 4's are harder to get on in 2 due to the distance.  I will be looking for advice from the pro on Wednesday to see where we can pick up the most strokes in our games and focus on that instead of just buying a driver.  I did hit Chris's driver on the last hole which is the longest par 5 in New Jersey.  I forgot how go it feels to crack a good drive.  Regardless, we both shot well for us.

I also think we are going to need a GPS moving forward when playing other courses.  We take for granted knowing this course so well.  Most of the time we don't even think about the distance, we just know which club to take the shot with.  That's not a good habit.  A GPS will also show us in detail how far a ball carries in the air with each club.  A stat we are not solid on but we need to learn for those lake clearing shots.

Ian - 87 (46 and 41)

Chris - 87 (40 and 47) -

shot 94 at 6am on Saturday morning.

The 87 was a great round for both of us.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

Not sure what you mean by the same that started at 134 and wants to shoot 80.  Was there a poster that wanted to? I might have 2 years ago posted that when I first started but I don't recall.

Nah that's not you XburbXXX, that must've been another thread on here.

went to the course tonight.  i ended up only playing 9 holes because i was frustrated with my swing.  i got up and down quite well and hit my putts so i shot a 43 but instead of playing 18 i went to the range.  i really thought i had a break out moment when i started focusing on keeping my right elbow really tight and in to my hip into the back swing.  it shortened the pullback of the swing but i was striking well and hitting straight.  then all of a sudden today my contact was off and when i would hit, it would start slice/fading.  it wasnt a full on slice.  i went to the range and started reverse engineering again.  there is a certain swing that is natural and has no thought and when i use it, i know it will be a good shot.  the problem is when something creeps into that swing and then i have to figure out what i am doing wrong.  i came to the conclusion tonight that i should still keep my right elbow inside my body towards my toes and not let it flare out behind me like a baseball swing.  i still wasnt making my normal contact but i was hitting it on a better line.  im looking forward to the wednesday lesson to see if the pro notices anything major that i am not seeing.

the thing that was most important was noticing how many strokes i can save when my putting and chipping is on.  i wish my striking was better because maybe i could have inched into the 30's.

When hitting it good...go to the range..when hitting it bad...play golf

Groove it at the range when it is going good.....

You may want to consider a shag bag , at least a clear plastic tube  and build a bag of shag balls,  for variety go to a park/ baseball field and pitch it around, over chain link fences, to the base, high flops low stingers.  Helps keep your costs down and short game is where it is at.....make games up and see if you can best your last attempt...I am sure you are keeping track of your practice and new skills...Hit shots at the bottom of the grip, at the top, step off the distances....

Take care not to divot up the field maybe spread some seed and dirt mix...

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

went out to play tonight to see if i could find where my swing was lost.  the plan was to start on the range and not come off and play until i felt "on".  i slowed everything down and after thinking a lot about it, i think i was using to much of my arms.  when i swing with a slower tempo, i can feel my body swing rather than my arms.  this helped me a ton and im about 90% back in the saddle for now.  one thing that i do is right down all the little things in my swing that work for me and then review them.  one thing that i was not doing that worked for me was to start a shoulder turn back with about a split second delay before the hands follow.  i am not sure if this is right or wrong but it does do something for me that makes sure my arms are not being used and that they are just on the hinge which is my torso.  hopefully this sticks.

Chris and I are both taking a lesson today from the course Pro.  I also got a skycaddie from my girlfriend for my birthday so that should shave 10-15 strokes off my game.  just kidding

Originally Posted by xburbx

Chris and I are both taking a lesson today from the course Pro.  I also got a skycaddie from my girlfriend for my birthday so that should shave 10-15 strokes off my game.  just kidding

hey you've no reason to kid about that...i've heard that tinting the windows on a honda civic yields about another 75 horsepower lol

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Oh yea, the vtec kicked in but not until the higher RPM's.  So we forgot to get the skycaddie working today, but we played decent today.  Chris and I both shot a 42 on the front.  Then the back got the better of me but Chris hung on.  I took too many hazards and missed chips I should have.  I also came up on the green in places I didnt want to.

Ian - Front 42 Back 49

Chris - Front 42 Back 47 (89 for those that are math challenged)

The lesson with the pro was an eye opener.  I was nervous about taking a lesson because I didnt know if the pro would try to change my entire swing or work within my swing.  He was great.  He worked within my swing and gave some great tips.  His background in the golf world is strong and he knows what he is doing.   The things he picked up on were things I could have watched my swing 1000 times with on video and not seen.  My alignment was the major adjustment tonight.  It was off by just a bit but my shoulders were slightly open when I addressed the ball.  That was the biggest thing today.  I am in the mindset of all ears and taking the advice no matter how awkward it makes my swing.  The good thing was it didnt have any impact other than straightening my ball.

I just want to add this to the journal

Baseball (10 finger grip) - I spoke about this before and so did Ian, I've adapted to it now for about two weeks roughly 4-5 rounds 7-8 range sessions and it really has helped with ball striking consistency and distance. I previously had a normal overlap grip.

I think it feels natural to me, possibly coming from a baseball background. I think that what is different is my left thumb does not get in the way of the club, I believe that in my backswing I had a habit of adjusting my thumbs which restricted my club.

FWIW it has taken a few strokes off my game and more importantly gives me less to think about in my backswing and more confidence overall.

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!