• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peskypole46

Driving range prices?

6 posts in this topic

At my local golf course it costs around $2 for a bucket of balls to hit at the driving range. Members pay as well as non-members. What is the price range of driving ranges that others have seen? Is it normal for members of the club to pay as well as non-members or are their buckets "free"?

It varies from place to place around here... At the local muni range it's $3 for a small, $5 for a medium and $10 for a large (if I had to guess 50, 100, and 200 balls respectively).  The course where I practice a lot is $10/hour normally, which is pretty standard at the nicer courses around here.  However, at my course I pay $29/mo. which gives me unlimited range access as well as being able to play for $15 (right now it's anytime, during other times of the year it is restricted).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The further away you are from a city center, the cheaper it gets, usually. Unless you're at a high end resort or club.

In NYC, a typical bucket, 60ish balls, can cost up to $25, maybe $30, say in Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. Usually it's around $10.

I think it's just as expensive internationally, say in Japan. In the UK, many course ranges, you BYOB, no charge, but they're smaller.

Depending on the club membership, range balls may be free, usually they are..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here in southern NH it's somewhere around $5 for a small, $8 for a medium and $10 for a larger.  Most places don't go above $10 for a large.  Sizes are normally 50, 75 and 100 balls.

At the driving range it's 7.50 for a bucket, and 15 for a basket with 2.5x as many.

At the course I go to for the driving range it's 7.50 for the bucket.

I have paid $5 a bucket though at a nice course, seems odd.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Ready golf except in match play. Match play is different. 
    • Yep! I have both a FJ jacket and pants in rainwear that I bought years ago. I don't use them very often so they've lasted a long time. But, they're heavy and hot! They were made before GoreTex and other waterproof, breathable fabrics. My advice? Get the absolute best you can afford! They will last you a long time, they will keep you comfortable, they will be light, and they won't impede your swing very much.
    • Thanks for all the responses. I think this boils down to the context of the situation. I had two of the foursome busting chops about hitting out of order on previous holes. Then the first time it was mildly inconvenient for them to wait, the holed out just as i hit the green. Mind you.  This wasnt an "adventure" hole.. I hit the green on stroke 5 because of a flub shot that went about 10 ft. And an errant approach that left me about 10 yards short of the green. In any other case I agree that its perfectly fine to hit when ready, but not if you complain about hitting out of order. I guess to paint the picture, one whipped a club on the 3rd hole due to sculling a shout out of the bunker.. on another hole had one of them walking towards green right in front of my approach.. he nicely moved about 3 yards to the right as i asked him to move. As karma would have it, i hit the shot straight at him and nearly hit him.. these were friends of mine.. so a lesson learned to play golf with different friends..
    • Picked one up and checked it out in a store the other day. First thing I noticed about it was how heavy it was. Reminded me of when I went out for the HS golf team, and the coach had a Driver with a solid steel head on it. He advised us that we were NOT to hit drives with it! It was for warm up only. Being as heavy as it is, I think the main benefit to it might be that it slows your transition from backswing to downswing. There's a whole lot of guys who could use that!
    • OK, this kind of clears things up for me. I thought you might have been trying to take close ups of clubheads impacting golf balls. In that case you'd need something numbering in the several thousands of fps! If all you need is to look at swings I'd say anything the budget allows should suffice. Consider the 960fps system mentioned. If a golf swing takes about I second, at a playback rate of 30fps, that gives you a swing video of 32 seconds in length. Plenty long enough to see the golfer's bodily motions. Considering how small the clubhead will appear when videoing the entire golfer, I don't know that fps is the main consideration. It could be pixel count and the quality of the lenses. This reminds me of my "audiophile" days when cassette tapes were all the rage. I had a BIC deck that could record at 7 1/2 ips (inches per second), and an Audiovox car player that could play back at that speed. The sound quality was amazing! You were putting the same amount of info into twice as much space! There was so much more room!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (33 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (45 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (51 years old)