IGNORED

How Many Majors Will Rory Win?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many majors will Rory McIlroy win in his career?

• 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-13
    • 15-18
    • 19+

Well, based on his comments in this article , he's going to struggle to win Open Championships and other majors played in foul weather. Guy not only admits that he's a bad wind player, but also seems not at all keen on getting better.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I didn't see anything wrong in what he said. Assuming this article is based off the post round interview he gave (I only skimmed through it), he only said that his game isn't suited to windy weather and that he isn't going to change his style of play on the off chance that there is windy weather.

He did seem a bit sour though and I would say that's because he played in the worst of the weather for the first 3 rounds and was feeling let down by the golfing gods

Originally Posted by Alex B

Well, based on his comments in this article, he's going to struggle to win Open Championships and other majors played in foul weather. Guy not only admits that he's a bad wind player, but also seems not at all keen on getting better.

Quote:

"I'm not a fan of golf tournaments that the outcome is predicted so much by the weather. It's not my sort of golf," he said.

"I'm disappointed with the way I finished obviously, but I'll just have to wait until next year to try and make a good run at this tournament.

"I'm looking forward to getting back to America, playing in Akron, and obviously the PGA and the Irish Open is a big one for us, as well. It's a week that I sort of enjoy."

Good thing Bubba didn't say something like this.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

Fair point.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by turtleback

I take your point but Bubba's quotes weren't selective, taken from a longer interview - those selected quotes that have gone round the world were representative of the whole thing.

I'm not sure those 'wind as a lottery' quotes, though - I didn't hear him say that, but he did say 'We visit a links course once a year and I'm not going to change my whole game just for one tournament'. Guess that means he won't be playing the Scottish Open, then...

It's a fair point - one shouldn't do that change for one tournament thing: if in doubt, ask Martin Kaymer how his 'Masters Swing' thing is working out! Another point: Rory seems to have forgotten how well he actually played for 3 1/2 of the four rounds at St Andrews last year, in the wind. What seemed to uspet him was the delay; he didn't understand why play had been suspended for the gale and it was exactly the same when he went back to his ball later. Perhaps he has never been told that it was because balls were being blown around on the greens at the Point and that it had nothing to do with the overall strength of the breeze. He also played pretty well on Thursday and Friday this year, imho. On Saturday he was out during the worst of it - and scored better than most of the field - and on Sunday he seemed to lose patience.

Maybe he'll never win a British Open - and maybe he'll grow into it. Bobby Jones famously walked off the course on his first visit to St Andrews but returned to win there twice. Tiger Woods was nearly blown into the Firth of Forth at Muirfield with that 81 and returned to win twice at St Andrews and a third time at Ainsdale.

Anyway, I had a really nice round on the West Course at Wentworth yesterday. My first ever. Managed to break 100!

My understanding from the commentary is that Rory has a high ball flight and I can see why that would not be suited to high winds.

I actually find it refreshing that unlike Harrington, McIlroy is not going to get bogged down in over thinking the game.

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!