IGNORED

In your opinion, Has Tiger helped or not helped the entire Golf movement?

ipark1303
Note:Β This thread is 6288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Jeff didn't mention it, but this thread was our "forum topic of the week" in this past week's (published today) podcast.

I would like to thank you and the whole sandtrap staff for selecting my thread as the "forum topic of the week" and for mentioning it (including my username) on the last podcast transmission!! What a honor!

I am still a newbie so I apologize if this thread is not showing a poll... I will make sure to learn and improve so that in the future more and more users will participate in my topic discussions. The podcast is a great idea and service. I will make sure to follow new future episodes and to spread the word out to new users and golfers as it really deserves a lot of attention! I would like to take the chance to clarify one thing, though. When I first started this thread, I did not put my opinion on purpose and it was not a "chicken out" case. I chose not to put my personal opinion in order to leave the arguments as much objective and impartial as possible. I, myself, am an "ultra convinced" Tiger fan and I do believe that he has done so many things for the game of Golf... more than any other athletes have done for their respective sports (i.e. Michael Jordan and basketball) To leave the initial post without my personal opinion was a planned and careful choice... sorry for being so oversensitive.. but I guess it's the effect of the podcast's sudden, unexpected but more than welcomed few seconds of fame!
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

• Administrator
I would like to thank you and the whole sandtrap staff for selecting my thread as the "forum topic of the week" and for mentioning it (including my username) on the last podcast transmission!! What a honor!

Thanks. Don't mind Jeff making fun of your username... :)

Rather than "listen" only to the podcast, you can participate, too, you know? http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1646

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. Don't mind Jeff making fun of your username... :)

Nooo! Really?!?!?! That's way too cool!!!!

Thanks for the tip.... I will try to download and setup skype! Are you going to tell us in advance what topic we are going to talk? (just to prepare a bit... you know... sometimes emotion makes you say crazy things... and I definitely don't want to ruin your transmission....
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

Tiger is the best thing that has happened to golf. If he hadnt of arrived then i would not be writing on this thread. When i was bout 10 there was no tiger woods and when i played golf it seemed boring to say the least.

4-5 years later went wood had the amazing 1999 and 2000 season i took up golf again and it seemed fun. Now i cant wait till i next get onto the course.

Tiger is my hero
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Tiger is the best thing that has happened to golf. If he hadnt of arrived then i would not be writing on this thread. When i was bout 10 there was no tiger woods and when i played golf it seemed boring to say the least.

(This is as good a topic as any for my first post)

Woods likewise got me into the game. It was Summer 2004, I was about to start my last year of undergraduate college, and my roommate had just been given the EA Sports Tiger Woods video game. It looked like fun, I played the video game a bit. A few months later, a friend of mine took me to the range and I've been hooked ever since.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

(This is as good a topic as any for my first post)

Thank you for posting and sharing your experience!

I have actually a lot of friends that don't know what is golf, but they know who is Tiger Woods!
In My Bag:
Driver:
3 Wood:

First of all, let me state that I love watching the guy and have nothing but sincere admiration for his talent and work ethic....

However, I think the tour is at the start of a trend that will only escalate. The International bowing out, due to the lack of a sponsor is something that I'm afraid may become more and more prevalent.

According to published reports, "if" Tiger would have committed to playing 3 out of six years (with this year being one of the three), the sponsors would have come on-board. But because of his wife's pregnancy, he wouldn't commit to this (which is entirely understandable).

In an interview, Jack Vickers stated, "On the one hand, the Tour's asking for a new five- or six-year commitment and you've got a one-man show out there right now that is the big difference," Vickers said. "And I've tried to get an expression, 'So let's be honest with each other. Just tell me, if it's no, it's no. But I'd like to know if out of six years, you'd play a couple years, even three years. I'd be happy as a lark.' But I can't get any commitment.

"That's his business and I'm not knocking that. That's his affair and I've got to live with that," Vickers added.

I would bet the ranch that he's said something quite stronger than that in private.

With the money that the tour is demanding sponsors pony up, Finchem is constantly going to be hearing "Can we get Tiger?" from current and potential sponsors.

From 1981 to 1993, no player won more than 4 tournaments per year. In 1994, Nick Price won 6 (including 2 Majors) and everyone thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. With so many good players during that period I felt that we would never see anyone dominate the tour like Palmer, Nicklaus or Watson in their primes. The tour enjoyed steady growth up until "the Tiger era" started in fall of 96. After that, one guy seemingly got all the wins but definitely got 75% of the press. Because of him, Finchem was able to "strong arm" sponsors and TV Networks for 2 straight contracts, which benefited all the players. Now I'm afraid it's going to come back and bite them.

While I feel it may be bad for the tour, I don't begrudge Tiger any of his "power". The fault ultimately lies with the media making him bigger than the game itself. It's my opinion that he needs to be a little more Arnold Palmer and less Jack Nicklaus in his approach to where he plays. He needs to visit venues that he hasn't been to before or for some time.

And I can't believe he's not playing in the Nissan after they gave him spots as a kid.

In the bag

Driver 905R, 9.5 Aldila NV65S
3 Wood 960 F2, 13.0 Aldila NV65S
5 Wood 975F, 18.5 Proforce 65SHybrid 503H, 22 deg. DG Γ’ S3004 Γ’ PW 735 CM, DG Γ’ S300SW Volkey 256.10, DG Γ’ S300LW Volkey 260.4, DG Γ’ S300Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5 Ball Pro-V1x or Pro-V1...

I think that golf now needs a new emerging light to come through the ranks. Like in tennis Nadal has come through and now Federer cannot beat the guy on clay. (At least were not tennis fans where federer wins everything apart from clay) This would be good for the game to see Tiger and another guy at the top of the leader board battling on a sunday afternoon.

I can see golf has kind of gone the way F1 went with michael schumacher. The sport got boring for a few years while he won everything, but when Alonso came along it was a battle at the top and Alonso won in the end. THat is what golf needs, like back when Mickleson was in his prime and could maybe beat Tiger every now and then. The media attention was then on a Wood V Mickleson match up not just on Tiger.

We do need a battle at the top a few weeks of the year and i though that Segio would bring that or even Donald but that hasnt happened and they have fallen back into the chasing pack.

(P.S you got to be a good golfer to wear trousers/pants (for you yanks) like that

Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

I think that golf now needs a new emerging light to come through the ranks. Like in tennis Nadal has come through and now Federer cannot beat the guy on clay. (At least were not tennis fans where federer wins everything apart from clay) This would be good for the game to see Tiger and another guy at the top of the leader board battling on a sunday afternoon.

Well, if college doesn't work out for me, I'll see what I can do about being such a person ;) Seriously, people complain about Tiger's playing frequency... and there will probably be a problem keeping the purses as high as they are without either another star or more Tiger. But, on the other hand, someone could come along and dominate those tournaments. Or there could be a variety of players who, together, become big players. We discussed Jeff Quinney on another thread; maybe he'll come along in a few years and be a big player. He's got the charisma. Meanwhile, Camilo Villegas and Bubba Watson could be crowd gatherers. Or if Tim O'Neal makes it to the big leagues, I think he'll draw fans. And then there's Tadd, but his career on the PGA Tour is 4-8 years off. I'm not saying that any of the above will dominate the game the way Tiger does. I am saying that they seem to have charisma and could provide interesting duels without seeming too far removed from us mortals.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

(P.S you got to be a good golfer to wear trousers/pants (for you yanks) like that

LOL, not me, I picked it out as an Avatar because of the pants!

In the bag

Driver 905R, 9.5 Aldila NV65S
3 Wood 960 F2, 13.0 Aldila NV65S
5 Wood 975F, 18.5 Proforce 65SHybrid 503H, 22 deg. DG Γ’ S3004 Γ’ PW 735 CM, DG Γ’ S300SW Volkey 256.10, DG Γ’ S300LW Volkey 260.4, DG Γ’ S300Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5 Ball Pro-V1x or Pro-V1...

Not sure if you will of heard of him but Oliver Fisher won his card for the European tour last year and this season he has not missed a cut. I never saw Tiger in his early days on tour but he reminds me of a younger version of Tiger.

He is a very good player and doesnt have that flair that seems to hang with players that never progress. Like sergio. Now he has signed for Nike so ill expect him to make a big appearance in a major in the next for years. Make a note of the name and remember it was mee that told you bout him. (although if you bet some dosh in him and he dont win dont come knocking at my door)
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425

Note:Β This thread is 6288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!