Sign in to follow this  
newtogolf

Callaway facing large losses during golf downturn

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 posts / 974 viewsLast Reply

Seems Callaway is struggling to be profitable and minimize losses.  According to 2nd quarter numbers, they expect to post a loss of $55M on $270M in sales which is pretty significant.

While Callaway might be considered the leaders in the GI/SGI iron market they are far behind in drivers and golf balls, the two most profitable sectors of the industry.  I wonder if they will develop an adjustable driver or return back to the iMix technology in an attempt to increase market share.  I don't see how they can compete with Titleist in the golfball sector, might be time to give up on that part of the business.

Here's the full article if you're interested;

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/Golf-equipment-giant-Callaway-tries-to-stop-sales-skid-063011

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure they are not the only struggling golf company.  I think their drivers are good. I should have never sold my ft-5.

Originally Posted by shades9323

I'm sure they are not the only struggling golf company.  I think their drivers are good. I should have never sold my ft-5.

I only hear mainly bad stories about their drivers ( cracking, heads snapping )

Haven't heard anything bad about their irons though

I agree, I love my FT-9 with iMix, and just ordered an iMix FT-IZ driver head for $65.  I was disappointed when they discontinued the iMix, especially since Titleist and TM have made shaft swapping easier in the 910D and R11.

Originally Posted by shades9323

Just switched to the Callaway i(S) after 25 years of faithful Titleist use.  It's a better ball, plain and simple.  Less driver spin an uptick in iron distance and great feel, it's also a bit more durable.  To be fair I haven't a 2011 pro V1  I still had boxes left over from last year.  I have two boxes of this years Titleist but plan on trading them for Callaway's shortly.

Went through 2 FT Tour drivers both snapped right at the hosel and gave up up on it.

Going into fourth year with HyperX Tour driver and XTour 3W. Both still going strong.

For balls, I use the TopFlite Gamer.v2, also part of the Callaway family.

Note: This thread is 3197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Popular Now

• @iacas Yes, March was paid in Feb, but they did not bill April yet since the club closed. They just sent April’s bill and want people to mail in a check to their office in CA. I don’t use checks and am not going out just to buy a stamp to mail this in. The club has laid off everyone except one person to maintain the course. Re: congregating - it is both members and non-members. Seems like some members are inviting their friends from other courses to play, and the usual groups (mostly younger players) are still playing as a group as if things are normal. A friend lives by a tee box and she said last weekend was so busy, there were groups back to back from 8am to 7pm. She could tell many were not from our club. She saw people playing barefoot, a teenager playing naked, some goofing around, some beating the life out of the tee boxes, etc. The bathrooms are closed so people were just using whatever bushes they saw fit. She played yesterday alone on a par5 and a ball flew in her direction out of nowhere. A few minutes later a few guys, in flip flops, came in sight holding just a few clubs and a 6-pack.  Turned out they were playing the hole backwards and didn’t think that would be an issue... I agree that it is not possible to police the course and prevent members from playing (many live in the golf community). But to open the door for anybody to come in is a different story.  @NM Golf Yes anyone can play Tanoan if  you have a member bring you in. But it’s not like you can just walk in, pay and play.  And they limit the same guest to only 3 or 6 games/year, at least for the last 3 years I was there. But of course, anyone who can get into Tanoan can just walk on, but we rarely see that.  Perhaps you can come by and see if you can get in to play!  @Mr22putt Thanks, I am bored but doing well. I have been in home isolation because my husband works at a hospital and I don’t know what he is going to bring home, so I don’t want to risk spreading anything if I go out.  And I certainly don’t want to pick up anything and pass it on to him. He cannot afford to be sick. I have been practicing in my backyard but have lost my swing/feel. I keep hitting the ball outside my yard and I fear someone may get hurt from my errant shots... I hope you are doing well yourself! I have no problem paying parts of my dues if they are maintaining the course. But they let everyone go except one maintenance guy. It is not possible for one person to maintain a 27-hole course.  I can quit my club and play elsewhere, but there isn’t even a person to contact since everyone is gone. @SteveH At least your club is still maintaining/improving the course. I wouldn’t mind paying my dues if that’s what my club is doing! They even want to charge the F&B minimum when the clubhouse is closed. I just looked at my bill - they are tagging on a trail fee too.
    • I wanted to see a video of a guy hitting a baked potato with his Epic Flash. Count me as being disappointed.
    • Finished day-5. This is very similar to a drill my coach has given me. He calls it L to L, but the concepts are very similar. He never included the left wrist flexion, he always presented it a wrist rotation, I like/understand flexion better.
    • Some things I'm not seeing about Day 5: I'm not seeing many people checking to make sure the toe is down slightly at A6 before they hit the ball. Check that. I'm not seeing many people pausing (or pausing for more than a fraction of a second) on the downswing. PAUSE, so you can re-focus on what comes next. I'm not seeing many people with their hips properly forward. Make sure you're landing on your left leg during the downswing and getting your hips forward. I'm not seeing many people really giving consideration to their finish position. Check the checkpoints in the follow-through.
    • Sorry for cutting off the very beginning.  I was editing in my phone and managed to cut off my position at address.  I was very conscious NOT to look back at my takeaway, so that's good.    
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Ballgame59
      Ballgame59
      (52 years old)
    2. brucebrennan
      brucebrennan
      (38 years old)
    3. David Mitchell
      David Mitchell
      (49 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...