IGNORED

New Clubs - MX-25, Apex Edge, other

Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking to buy new steel shafted irons. I do not change clubs often (two sets in 23 years). Currently taking lessons (changing my swing quite a bit… or at least it feels that way) and want a club that will fit me now and if/when I lower the handicap.

Consistently hit the MX-23’s thin (hit the MX-17’s and the MP’s thin as well). Hit the MX-25’s and liked them. Why the difference? I have an older version Apex Edge 5 iron; like how it sets up, like the feedback. How do the newer versions compare?

As inconsistent as my swing is, it is difficult to determine whether model A feels better than model B because it suits me better or I happen to put some better swings on it. I am starting to think it does not matter what I buy.

I do not like thick toplines or bulky looking clubs. Will not buy Titleist or Cobra (have a grudge against Footjoy so I do not buy anything within The Acushnet Company). Have hit about everything into a net, but want to get to the range with a few.

Any comments/suggestions?

Consistently hit the MX-23’s thin (hit the MX-17’s and the MP’s thin as well). Hit the MX-25’s and liked them. Why the difference? I have an older version Apex Edge 5 iron; like how it sets up, like the feedback. How do the newer versions compare?

As inconsistent as my swing is, it is difficult to determine whether model A feels better than model B because it suits me better or I happen to put some better swings on it. I am starting to think it does not matter what I buy.

Any comments/suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I recently tried a bunch of different clubs also. I have played MX 23s in the past and did not find the MX25s that different. Did they have the same shaft in them? I found the flighted rifle shafts to be a much better performer in the MX 25s. When I decided on graphite I went with Wilson CI6's. If your swing is that inconsistent are you planning on practicing at least once a week? Anyway the sole of the club if you were hitting of a mat might explain the difference also. MX 25s have a beveled sole ( one of their best features I believe) but so do the 23's.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The 23's and 25's did have the same shaft.

I hit them at different places but it was on a mat each time. I hit other clubs (Taylor Made Rac OS, and a few others) decently when I tried the 23's. I just figured the 23's and the other Mizuno's were not a good fit for me, so I was surprised 25's felt so nice the other day.

I generally take a wedge or 5 iron to the field about five times a week for a few shots while walking the hound. It is getting a little cold for that right now, though. I also get out to the range at least twice a month and do slow motion drills in the house.

By the way, why do the Hogan's not get much love?

The 23's and 25's did have the same shaft.

I don't think their parent company has made them a high priority (Callaway I think). Limited marketing plus they haven't been changing their lineup much recently which really limits the amount of Buzz. The Apex edges did get a good tout in golf magazine last year.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe you should wait a while before getting new clubs. Not because you don't deserve them, or because your current clubs aren't doing the job, but rather because, as you said, you are going through some significant swing changes. Judging by the rate at which you go through sets of clubs, I'm guessing that you will have this next set for a significant amount of time. Major swing changes could end up dictating a change in the type of clubs you need, and the specs of those clubs.
If you swing changes aren't that major, and won't affect things such as your lie angle, then go ahead and pick up a new set.

To comment on why Hogan's don't get much love...... my perception of Hogan has been that they have either made very high end, incredibly difficult to hit blades, or very crappy sets aimed at the average golfer. When they came out with some nicer cavity backs a few years ago, they didn't really catch on. I'm guessing that there is a stigma around the brand, and the parent company hasn't bothered to try and fix the image of the company.

Clubs
Titleist 983E 9.5 degrees (stiff Fujikura 757)
Titleist 904F 13.0 degrees (stiff Graffaloy Blue)
Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood (steel)
Mizuno MP-37 3-9 (DG S300)Cleveland Form Forged 48 degree Cleveland RTG 56 degreeCleveland RTG 60 degreeScotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 35"Titleist ProV1Ping...

And one last thing - can somebody give me some rep power so I can stop being a newbie and actually create some posts? I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks
-Ian

Clubs
Mizuno MP-37 3-9 (DG S300)Cleveland Form Forged 48 degree Cleveland RTG 56 degreeCleveland RTG 60 degreeScotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 35"Titleist ProV1Ping...

I just got the MX 25's and I absolutely love them. I tried everything from the Titleist 755's to the Callaways X20's. Nothing felt or performed better than these. I also was fitted for regular shafts for the first time and it has really helped me get the ball up high. So happy with my purchase. The weather on the other hand is killing me.

L4Vx Diamana Red
Burner 15° R
#5 3DX DC
Raptures 4-U Wedge z-z65 Shafts
SM Oil Can Vokey 56° Black Series i #1 b330

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe you should wait a while before getting new clubs... because, as you said, you are going through some significant swing changes. Judging by the rate at which you go through sets of clubs, I'm guessing that you will have this next set for a significant amount of time...

Good advice. I hope to get my swing in good enough shape to buy the new sticks sometime this spring, but I am in no rush. I plan the get advice from the pro who is changing/improving? my swing as to when I might be ready. You are correct, I will probably have 'em at least ten years. I want to narrow down my choices to about three so I can take them to the range. So far I have only hit into nets, except for some RAC OS's. Hit nice shots with them and they seemed very forgiving, but they just did not feel that great, although, again, that may be just because of my inconsistant ball striking. I am curious as to other opinions comparing the MX-25's and the Apex Edge's.

I haven't hit either set, but I think both club manufacturers. I have Mizunos, and love them. But, I almost bought a set of Hogans. Is either set forged? Are they both forged? I love forged clubs, but there are some maintenance issues with them (ie getting lofts and lies checked every year or so).... just food for thought.

Clubs

The Hogans and Mizunos are both forged, though I do not care about the manufacturing process.

Looks-wise, I like how they set-up. They do not look like a big block of metal on the end of a shaft, though that type of club may be better for me right now.

Feel-wise, I am still too inconsistant to make a good judgement.

I was hoping to get some comments from folks who have hit 'em both a few times.

Just spoke with a Callaway rep. at a local Golf Expo and he explained they do not advertise the Hogan clubs much because the response (or lack thereof) does not justifiy it.

I do not care about the advertising, but I would like to put my hands on the Apex Edge. They only had the FTX and a few wedges at the expo.

I had some Hogan Apex pro forged and they have an excellent set up and I probably would have loved them a couple years ago when I was a 5 handicap but now I will tell you that they are not very forgiving. My suggestion would be to go towards a cast set for a few years with dynamic gold steel shafts. This will give you an oppurtunity to get used to your new swing without worrying about the a hard to hit iron. Just a suggestion

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

My suggestion would be to go towards a cast set for a few years with dynamic gold steel shafts.

The MX-25 and the Apex Edge are both cavity backs. Are you saying that a cast club made to the same dimensions as a forged club will be easier to hit. I do not want turn this in to a cast/forged thread, but I find that hard to believe.

I've been playing a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro IIs since high school (about seven and a half years). Would you guys say that the Pro IIs are comparable to the MP-60s in terms of performance and feel? Also, I'm looking to buy a newer set of irons that are a bit easier to hit consistently, especially in the longer irons. Would the MX-23/25s be a good choice?

905R 9.5* | Steelhead Plus 15.5*, 18*
MX-25 3-PW | T-Zoid Pro II 3-PW
Vokey SM TC 60.04
Special SI Anser II

I have been playing the Mx-25 for about 3 months now...used to play the titleist 735cm......pretty good feedback/feel....very high trajectory....dispersion pattern pretty tight....not crazy about the stock shaft dynalite superlight S300 (may change to DG S300 or project rifle flighted 6.0)....hope this helps....

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

I have been playing the Mx-25 for about 3 months now...used to play the titleist 735cm......pretty good feedback/feel....very high trajectory....dispersion pattern pretty tight....not crazy about the stock shaft dynalite superlight S300 (may change to DG S300 or project rifle flighted 6.0)....hope this helps....

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll have to go check them out soon.

905R 9.5* | Steelhead Plus 15.5*, 18*
MX-25 3-PW | T-Zoid Pro II 3-PW
Vokey SM TC 60.04
Special SI Anser II

Tennis, ping-pong, shuffleboard.......
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

The MX-25 heads are already "flighted" based on the variable location of the mass so I don't know that getting flighted shafts is the best idea. I got my MX-25's with the Dynamic Gold SL shafts because I did not want the higher trajectory provided by the Dynalite SL but did want the light weight. The DGSL shafts are great!

Scott
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

Note: This thread is 6038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!