IGNORED

The 1 most inportant tip you can give

Juancd75
Note: This thread is 6291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all. if you were asked for one tip and one tip only, what would be the most important tip you can give someone just starting? whether it be a swing tip or a how to be courteous on the course or anything else.
Just curious as to what everyone wpuld choose to be the 1 most inmportant tip they can pass along.

Regards!!!!!!

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

Hey all. if you were asked for one tip and one tip only, what would be the most important tip you can give someone just starting? whether it be a swing tip or a how to be courteous on the course or anything else.

Shop around for a teaching pro who has a variety of students. Make sure you and he (or she) get along great. Take lessons and tips from this teacher - and only the teacher! I've only been playing a year and I play executive courses to around bogey-average, far better than when I wasn't taking lessons and just went to hit the ball however I thought seemed right. In seven lessons (plus some serious practice), I went from shooting 80 for 9 holes in June to shooting low-to-mid 50s for 9 holes in December. Two of my friends play to scratch and refuse to give me tips (other than the tip about finding a pro, above). Yet my friends who shoot in the 130s want to tell me that my swing isn't long enough or that I must be hitting it wrong since my PW doesn't send it as far as Tiger's. Which reminds me of a tip you should take: weigh each tip given to you, don't just accept it. That having been said, know your distances. One advantage I have from playing par-3 courses is that I have a decent idea where my average 7-Iron lands (125 yards). A friend of mine hits his 7-Iron when he's 175 yards out, on account that he heard that Davis Love III hits his from that distance (I'm not claiming that the measurement is accurate in either direction). So I guess that's three. Maybe I've taken a wrong tip by accepting one of the above? More experienced players, please let me know.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

practice.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Remember, Golf is a GAME! Have Fun!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

"Soft", gentle grip. In fact, don't grip the club at all. Just hold it. Soft arms. No tension. Nice, easy complete swing through the ball.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Dont even think of satrting golf! Play a game where you can blame someone else mainly team sports!
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Dont even think of satrting golf! Play a game where you can blame someone else mainly team sports!

LOL! i like this one!

I definately have A HUGE problem when it comes to grip and swinging nice and easy. I usually perform my customary "death grip" where all my veins are popping out of my forearms and then proceed to want to annihilate the ball with my swing. I have realized that when i do address the ball and simply swing to "make contact", i hit the most beautiful shots. I just, for whatever reason, more often than not want to crush the ball. I cant seem to remember "nice and easy". Then again i am A.D.D. so by the time i address all i can register is "ball" "club" "HIT IT!!!!" My instructor always laughs. i must admit, it is pretty funny to setup, swing like a mad man and totally miss the ball!

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

U know, come to think of it.... we never did find out what that one thing was!!!!!!! what a sham! I even saw part 2 and never did know what the heck he meant by that!!!! LOL

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Dont hit the ball!!!! Just swing the club and the ball should get in its way. The amount of people who try to kill the ball. The faster you swing does not mean the further it goes. You have to make contact with the sweet spot of the club.

Have more to add and will do it in small sections as you guys need some entertainment.
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

in my case that is easier said than done.

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

in my case that is easier said than done.

Absolutely true, but knowing that you don't have to put energy into something counterproductive has to help.

Now, my wondering is, does anyone on Tour use regular flex? Or are their swing speeds all fast AND propel the ball far. But perhaps that's a topic for another thread.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

practice.

I'd agree with this quote, with a caveat: Make sure that your practice has a purpose. Don't just go to the range and beat balls and call it 'practice'. Everyone knows of things that they need to work on in their swing - so dedicate a good chunk of your practice time to working on those things. And if for some reason you don't have anything to work on, really try to create realistic situations when you are hitting balls. Pick a target, and envision a shot that you would encounter on a course. Say, "Ok, I'm going to hit a draw off of the third tree from the right, and have it draw about ten yards back to that target." The more specific you are, the more you will focus and have meaningful practice.

And, as far as contributing something original, I would say the most important tip is to check your alignment. Lay down some clubs and check to see where you are aimed. If your alignment is off, there are a lot of problems that can creep up because your body is trying to compensate for the incorrect alignment. -Ian

Clubs
Titleist 983E 9.5 degrees (stiff Fujikura 757)
Titleist 904F 13.0 degrees (stiff Graffaloy Blue)
Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood (steel)
Mizuno MP-37 3-9 (DG S300)Cleveland Form Forged 48 degree Cleveland RTG 56 degreeCleveland RTG 60 degreeScotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 35"Titleist ProV1Ping...

I must agree with the practice with a purpose ideal. But you know, my old instructor made me switch to stiff flex and i have to tell ya, i dont feel comfortable. it seems like i have to "try" harder with the club. I'm wondering if im a regular flex guy instead of stiff. i want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but i just dont feel comfortable.
Maybe its mental.

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

I must agree with the practice with a purpose ideal. But you know, my old instructor made me switch to stiff flex and i have to tell ya, i dont feel comfortable. it seems like i have to "try" harder with the club. I'm wondering if im a regular flex guy instead of stiff. i want to give her the benefit of the doubt, but i just dont feel comfortable.

Was this by inspection or by measurement? If you got fit for your clubs, I'd guess that it'd be right, assuming you were doing your normal swings during the measurement.

The pro with whom I work noticed a certain flight pattern on certain clubs of mine, and sure enough, those were stiff shafted, whereas the normal (within my own margin of error, low enough on the range) flight pattern was caused by regular shafted. So, he had me switch the stiff shafts for regular... would be expensive, except I had bought them used at a store with a 90 day 100% money back guarantee on used clubs, so I just traded them for the same club with a regular shaft :) [just trying to indicate that it might be mental and have a real purpose]

-- Michael | My swing! 

No i didnt get fit for my clubs. I had originally purchased regular flex shaft based on the fact i never really played and thought the was the "norm" for a beginner. I actually got a good deal on a set of graphite shaft regular flex clubs but 3 lessons in, the instructor said that based on my swing, i needed stiff. she said i swung with a lot of force and was too strong for the regular flex. Those were her words. so i sold that set and got my current set (in my signature). I just dont feel comfortable. It makes no sense to me. if i swing with force and lots of strength (which is why she suggested stiff shafts), why should i slow down my swing? at that point wouldnt i need to switch back to regular flex?
might sound like a stupid question, but what can i say? maybe im a stupid kind of guy. LOL.

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Note: This thread is 6291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!