IGNORED

Ernie Els. The real story.

hypergolf
Note: This thread is 6256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"Their" clubs was in reference to Mizuno. Sorry about the passive language.

However, the majority of Titleist iron users are better players, as Titleist sells more of their forged, or close to forged, models, than those cavity-back giant monstrosities. Callaway, in comparison, has the market cornered on those types of clubs, and, overall, sells more irons a year than Titleist.

As for who makes better equipment, I definitely think Titleist does, but I have never liked Callaway equipment. Cosmetically attractive, but not the same quality as other makers, in my opinion. Coincidentally, or maybe not, none of the Tour's big names had deals with them. Now that they have Els and Lefty on the bag, and their woods and some of their irons are getting better reviews, perhaps Callaway is making dramatic improvements, or at least in perception. However, I have never met a club pro or a store salesman that was pushing a single digit player to buy Callaway irons.

But for people who can work a ball, as in draw or fade, on demand, and those who are above-average for the amateur world, Titleist makes great products with their woods and irons like their 695s. I had a set of Lefty's 731s for a while, and enjoyed those, too.

That is not being a snob so much as being honest.

At any rate, what really matters is that Els received more money from Callaway than he could have hoped to receive from Titleist, and he can pretty much play anything and be just as good.

"Their" clubs was in reference to Mizuno. Sorry about the passive language.

Do you people not read golf magazine and digest. I dont like Callaway clubs, I will probably never play them, just like i dont play Nike clubs, Callaway golf has come to the forefront of equipment this year and thats based on reviews of average golfers who have used them. They cleaned house in the hotlist, and i believe it. Ernie Els and mickelson have no affect on reviews of clubs, to say that is rediculous. Then Nike clubs would be getting the best reviews because the best player uses them. And to say Titleist clubs should only be used by better players to me just sounds idiotic. The snob comment was accurate, "I use titleist irons, therefore im a better player than you. And you shouldnt use these clubs because there not specified to your exact handicap. I agree there are some clubs a 30 handicap player shouldnt play but all golf companies make those. To say that titleist has game improvement clubs is a stretch. But I gaurantee, a 20 handicap replaces his generic driver that comes with the set he bought for $180, he is going to vastly improve his driving. The same goes for irons.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Take it down a notch. You are using faulty logic saying, "I am better because I play X."

I am above average, and because I am above average, I choose to play forged clubs that are the modern day equivalent of blades, not the other way around. Not true blades in the Hogan Apex or Wilson Staff since of the past, but fairly close. If I had a 15 handicap, I would not be touching these sorts of irons.

As I said, Callaway has been getting great reviews. And, AGAIN, nobody is saying what Mickelson plays does not have an effect on sales, merely that it does not really come into play with better amateur golfers. Nobody who has is scoring in the mid 70s, consistently, is going to buy a club because Ernie Els uses it. They are trying to improve their game, and if what Els and Mickelson use works for them, then more power to them.

Clubswiger21 I think you have maybe mistaken what I'm was trying to say.
I think Titleist are GREAT clubs and I can only hope that one day I can have the ball striking ablitiy to figure out what this great feel I keep hearing about is.
I personnal am not there yet.
I love my callaways. There great for ME.
But what i do feel is That there is some snobbery about Titleist clubs.
Its like your not a real golfer if you don't play them.
Thats why everyone feels that Els just went for the $$$$
"cause why would he leave the great Titleist for forgiving Callaway crap blah blah" Unless it was for the cash right???
For some reason I don't think Erine Els will be playing Big bertha 06's(he is playing X-forged by the way)
One of the reasons why I put a handicap # to person who probably shouldn't play Titleist is that Titleist doesn't even recommend persons with less then a 15 hp play there irons!
http://www.titleist.com/images/produ...6IronGuide.pdf
Once again though this is just my opinion

In the Bag

FT-3 10* Draw
Big Bertha 04 3 wood 15*
Heavenwood Hybrid 2H 17* Big Bertha 06 irons 3-SW White Hot XG #1 Putter Fusion Tour Staff Bag Hx Tour BallI'm a bit of a junky

He is still using titleist irons so i doubt there was a conflict involved.

He is only using the Titleist irons because they havent worked with him yet for the Callaway irons.

Pretty sure Ernie is using the X-Forged - or so these pics seem to suggest. From the Tournament right after he switched.

In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

• Administrator
Do you people not read golf magazine and digest. I dont like Callaway clubs, I will probably never play them, just like i dont play Nike clubs, Callaway golf has come to the forefront of equipment this year and thats based on reviews of average golfers who have used them. They cleaned house in the hotlist, and i believe it.

You do realize that Titleist - among other companies - specifically is not included in the "hotlist" testing? Not saying they'd have won - but the "hotlists" are what they are. I don't find much value in them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty sure Ernie is using the X-Forged - or so these pics seem to suggest. From the Tournament right after he switched.

Not that your photo is doctored, but it sure looks like it is. I closely watched The Nissan Open.. which is the tournament i believe he switched for, Brandel Shambley stated on the post game, Ernie Els was using a Callaway driver but still playing Titleist irons for that tournament. If his information was false then maybe he should find a new job. That was then, going on what you say alone it sounds like he is playing or going to be playing the x-forged I havent looked into the matter so i dont know. Lane, Im on the same page as you as far as Titleist clubs are concerned thats why i said the snob comment was accurate. True, you cant base your bag on what the hotlist says, but Callaway is quickly getting a reputation for club production and quality. Clubs are like clothing, if you dont like the reputation your clubs carry you're not going to put them in your bag.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Apparently Ernie Els has been in and out of the Callaway testing centre near his home in Surrey since around Christmas time, testing equipment out.

According to his website, he'll be using a set of Callaway's this week at Bay Hill.

http://www.ernieels.com/search.aspx?i_MediaEntryID=617
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I think this whole thread is really simple. Callaway was willing to pay a lot more money and they make great golf equipment. Titleist, from what I hear, has been trimming their PGA tour staff and probably weren't willing to offer more money or even extend Els' deal. Lucas Glover just switched from Titleist to Nike because of the same reason. Along with Titleist, Cleveland reduced their staff and Mizuno has never really paid a lot of money to tour players.

If someone wants to play Titleist, Cleveland, Mizuno, etc they will just play them regardless of which PGA tour member uses them. Nike and Callaway especially make a lot of money on name recognition... selling clubs to the players who are most likely to be influenced by what hat they see on TV.

Also I imagine Ernie will be playing 14 Callaway clubs. They're just fitting him with all of them now. And as far as the hot list, I really like what golf digest has done but you can't read everything into that. They were real big on the callaway opti fit cart this year and basically said that was the reason they were the editor's choice in so many categories.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Titleist makes their lion's share on balls, so they really don't care who they have with their name on their bag.

So true. They only care about who they pay to play their balls. That one commercial, with Vijay in it, has 5 or more of the top 15 players in it. That was not cheap!

Bag: Mizuno Twister
Driver: Taylormade R7 460 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood: Sonartec SS 2.5 14 Stiff
7 Wood: Sonartec SS 2.5 21 Stiff
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19 StiffIrons: Mizuno MX 19 4-PW Do not use the gap wedgeWedges: Mizuno MP T 5308 and 5810Putter Yes CallieI can also choose between a 4 or 5 wood or MD...

I think maybe its a lot easier for you to say you can hit anything with a 7 handicap.

I agree here 100%. I play Mizuno MX19's 1st and foremost because they are the most forgiving irons I have ever hit. 2nd I heard that Mizuno's quality control cannot be beat. 3rd They are a great looking set of beginners clubs. Just a awesome club for the price.

You will not see me with a set of blades period. I just do not enjoy pain that much. With the 40 degree weather I sometimes play in you better be a great ball striker if you are playing any type of muscle back or small faced, thin top line cavity back. I do not understand players who are 15 handicap and think they should be playing MP 32's or even 60's for that matter. Just makes the game so much harder and less enjoyable. Anyway this is getting off topic I think, so I will end it here.

Bag: Mizuno Twister
Driver: Taylormade R7 460 9.5 Stiff
3 Wood: Sonartec SS 2.5 14 Stiff
7 Wood: Sonartec SS 2.5 21 Stiff
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19 StiffIrons: Mizuno MX 19 4-PW Do not use the gap wedgeWedges: Mizuno MP T 5308 and 5810Putter Yes CallieI can also choose between a 4 or 5 wood or MD...

It is really quite simple. Els had one year left on his deal with Titleist, and his agent understood that he could get more money from Callaway, just like Phil did.

You couldn't be further from the truth about the lower handicap irons or Titleist not worrying about big named players.

Mizuno irons, including the MP60's, MP32's and the Mp67's are played by many different calibered players. .......And as far as Titleist... They're crapping themselves over all the big name player losses.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

I agree here 100%. I play Mizuno MX19's 1st and foremost because they are the most forgiving irons I have ever hit. 2nd I heard that Mizuno's quality control cannot be beat. 3rd They are a great looking set of beginners clubs. Just a awesome club for the price.

When you decide or have the time to work towards breaking away from the higher handicap and bringing some playability into your game, you're going to have to consider going towards more of a players club (MP60,MP32,MP67), etc...

It's just been my experience that we should try to make the game easier, if we can. But if you hit a maximum forgiveness iron wrong and it goes just about as far as it should, with lit'l penalty, then how will you ever know if you've begun to strike the ball correctly? I'm no pro, but it just makes sense to me???? I've been wrong before.
In The Bag

Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

It really is simple. Titleist's cash cow is through their balls! That's where the majority of their marketing is spent and that is where they need most leverage in terms of tour player pull. It costs a lot less for Titleist to pay a good player to play their ball than it does their whole equipment. It's simple good old fashion economics by Titleist.
Equipment

Driver: Titleist 983E (Grafalloy Prolite 35)
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner Bubble (Royal Precision steel rifle)
Irons: Callaway x14 (Royal Precision steel rifle) Putter: Ping Zing 5Ball: Titleist Pro V1

It really is simple. Titleist's cash cow is through their balls! That's where the majority of their marketing is spent and that is where they need most leverage in terms of tour player pull. It costs a lot less for Titleist to pay a good player to play their ball than it does their whole equipment. It's simple good old fashion economics by Titleist.

Sure.... It's more like cheap assed last resorts!

In The Bag

We get that you are a Mickelson fan, but Titleist had no problem letting Mickelson out his deal, only 5 months after he won his first major. They could have kept him under contract for another year, but they had no problem with him bolting when he did.

Same thing with Els.

There was nothing to stop Titleist from keeping Mickelson and Els on staff for one more year, nothing at all. Both players signed these things called "contracts." They were bound to Titleist, and only Titleist's allowance to break the contract, which Mickelson paid a small penalty for, but not Els, allowed them to ink with Callaway.

If they wanted to keep both of them around, they could have. They merely chose not to pay what Callaway would, and I don't blame them.

Now, obviously, you are severely biased, "Philfest," shocking I know, but Mizuno's most popular irons are still the MPs, today's 37 which is basically the old 33 or 17.

And, as for Titleist irons, those who purchase the bulk of them are not buying those perimeter-weighted, oversize, monstrosities that Callaway sells by the truckload, such as Titleist's 775 and 775 irons, but Titleist's 695 line.

Take off the Lefty blinders, Spicoli.

Note: This thread is 6256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!