IGNORED

IZZO Swami 1500

Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always had a problem with getting the correct yardage to the pin and had been looking at purchasing some sort of GPS or Laser Rangefinder. I really did not want to drop $200-400 on an expensive unit, and you have to have a steady hand with the range finders. So I did some research and found that the IZZO Swami 1500 had exactly what I wanted, which is yardage to pin. IMO, I didn't need to know the yardage to the greenside bunker, hazard or anything else. So I picked one up at Dick's Sporting Goods for $69. I was weary about if it really worked, but went ahead with the purchase.

After registering the unit (it's $9.99 to register) and downloading my local courses, I went out and played 9 holes yesterday to try it out. I played with another guy who had a more expensive GPS as well and we were comparing yardages just to see how accurate mine was. It was dead on the numbers as his. I also found the yardage markers in the fairways, one was marked at 223 yds and it was dead on with that marker, and I found another that was 95 yds, and again it was right on the numbers! I was impressed that this inexpensive unit was as good as it says. Like I said if you only want yardage to pin, then this is a great product!

Phillip

I've been using the Swami 1500 unit for over a year now and love it.  Yardage is always accurate with course markings and other more expensive GPS and rangefinders that my buddy's game.   I even got mine wet the past couple of rounds as it rained pretty good.  No issues there (disclaimer...I am not claiming this unit is waterproof), just saying mine got a little wet with no ill effects.

Battery life is great too.  They claim it lasts 3 rounds.  I have played 3 rounds before without charging and the battery indicator never dropped a bar.  I still however give it a charge after 2 or 3 rounds typically just to be safe.

All I wanted with my unit was yardage (to front, center and back) and that is what I got.

Every course I ever needed is in their database as well.  Even so really rural po-dunk courses.

I just wished they came out with their new Swami 3000 unit a year earlier.  The new unit does not require a subscription fee, displays the course name on the screen and is preloaded with 19,000+ maps.  I am putting off renewing my subscription and might just pick up the 3000 for next season.     I can't update my unit at work and sometimes we leave straight from there to play a new course that is not loaded in my 1500 unit. I have become so reliant on the gps that golfing without it makes me 2nd guess every club selection.

2 thumbs up for Izzo and their GPS units !!

Glad you are liking yours.

The only negative experience I had with the unit, was I played a round and turned the unit on and we had to wait like 20 minutes before we tee'd off.  The unit locked up and would not turn off, or reset it itself.  I tried every button combo and nothing helped.

I had to take it home after the round and hook it up to the computer which corrected it.  So now I make sure I do not turn the unit on until right before I hit my tee shot or as I ride down the first fairway.  No issues since.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

From my understanding the only difference is that the 3000 shows the course name at bottom of screen, and no subscription fees. The course name is no big deal to me. For $69 its really hard to beat. I played again on Monday, and again the yardages were right on.

I believe if the unit freezes all you  have to do is hold the up/down arrows and the FCB at the same time, and it will reset.

Phillip

Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!