IGNORED

Swing Thoughts and Interruptions

Note: This thread is 4646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by scv76

Spoken like a true instructor

On our range, an area is marked off for instructors giving lessons...never a problem

Oh don't give me that. Geez. For all we know the area is understood to be for instructors. He's earning his paycheck, the other guy just "likes" the spot, and as an instructor, you need more room so "in the middle of the tee line" is generally NOT a good place to go. Leads to getting whacked on the head by someone making a backswing.

We've never had a problem at our range either. We have a separate tee at the other end of the range for lessons and we'll go there if it's crowded. Other times we'll take the end spot - because it's the least intrusive what with cameras and training aids and someone standing there facing you observing your swing. People will often come in waves, and an empty range can fill up quickly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're a better man than me. I am a very calm person but some people really need to be put in their place. Next time I would just take up as much space as humanly possible and take it from their. It probably wouldn't end pretty.

Originally Posted by iacas

The simple truth is I think it's quite likely he has more of a claim to that spot than you do, even if he simply likes doing his lessons there. I still think you're over-reacting. :-)

I thought that I was just updating, not overreacting.  This is NOT a busy place.  Other these two I haven't seen another lesson given morning, afternoon, or evening and the pro doesn't use cameras or training aids.  He's strictly a voice, and sometimes a loud one.  This isn't a club range where teaching goes on all of the time.  This is a range with ONE TREE on the property, about 40 hitting spots and nothing but sunshine and 100 degree plus weather (today Houston was 109 and 80% humidity).  It gets a little more crowded at night but when I go out in the morning I may see three other golfers arrive before I leave 2+ hours after I get there.  I said my piece to the pro without raising my voice while at the ball bin, chose to move, and had the best range session I've had in a 10 days or so.  All in all it was a great day.  I hope that I hit 'em as well on Tuesday as I did yesterday.  They just weren't worth getting upset about.

NuclearMike, can I ask what this spot means to you? As in, why do you go early just to get it?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

NuclearMike, can I ask what this spot means to you? As in, why do you go early just to get it?

Why does it matter? If the area isn't demarcated for instruction only he should be able to hit there. Or the instructor could ask him POLITELY to move.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Why does it matter? If the area isn't demarcated for instruction only he should be able to hit there. Or the instructor could ask him POLITELY to move.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a claim to the spot, in fact I'm not saying anything at all. Just asking a question. I've never heard of someone getting to a driving range before it opened simply to get a certain spot, so I was curious.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo ,

NuclearMike, can I ask what this spot means to you? As in, why do you go early just to get

I get there first thing since I'm never sure when the owner is going to open- sometimes 8, sometimes 8:30, so I usually get there around 8:15. I always have a lot to do when I'm not working so making the range the first stop of the day, when it's only in the mid-90s, is just how I prefer to start my day. I like the spot because of its position on the far right side. If it's available it will still be my first choice, where I can park my car under the only tree and usually hit in peace. I'm just getting back in he game so I try to work on something specific each time out and seem to concentrate better when I'm out there by myself, but I'm getting more comfortable with my swing now, so I'm OK to hit from anywhere and near (almost) anyone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm not saying he doesn't have a claim to the spot, in fact I'm not saying anything at all. Just asking a question. I've never heard of someone getting to a driving range before it opened simply to get a certain spot, so I was curious.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Thanks for the OCD diagnosis, Dr. Sean :-).  It's more like I work about 60 hours a week and have a disabled wife so during my little time off I have to budget my time.  Getting to the range is a priority but I don't want to be out in the sun on afternoons like we've been having here (109 yesterday and 107 today and the usual Houston humidity) so getting there early means that I can hit when it's still in the 90s and get on with my day.  There's always a lot for me to do to take care of my family on my days off.  I coordinate doctor and healthcare visits, do the grocery and other shopping, do the laundry, give my wife her breathing treatments, etc.  If I had more time I'd be more flexible in my visits to the range.

Originally Posted by NuclearMike

Thanks for the OCD diagnosis, Dr. Sean :-).  It's more like I work about 60 hours a week and have a disabled wife so during my little time off I have to budget my time.  Getting to the range is a priority but I don't want to be out in the sun on afternoons like we've been having here (109 yesterday and 107 today and the usual Houston humidity) so getting there early means that I can hit when it's still in the 90s and get on with my day.  There's always a lot for me to do to take care of my family on my days off.  I coordinate doctor and healthcare visits, do the grocery and other shopping, do the laundry, give my wife her breathing treatments, etc.  If I had more time I'd be more flexible in my visits to the range.

The early range sessions seem both logical and reasonable, which brings us to your "preference" for that one spot at the very end range . . .

That's all it is, a preference.  I started this thread because I wanted to get people's impressions as to whether I was out of line for expecting to be able to work in peace.  Since that first post I've chosen other range spots for a different perspective more than half of the time.  Tomorrow I'll be out there again, at or before they open, and I'll pick the spot with the best grass to hit from. My preferred spot is in the only area that gets any shade at all (but not in the morning), so good places to hit from can be few and far between at this range, especially since we're under watering restrictions.

Two things...

1) I sometimes use headphones and my MP3 player to block out distractions and 'get in the grooove'.

2) If I'm not listening to music, I use the 'distractions' around me as learning tools, figure it will help me in real rounds out on the golf course.  Learn to block it out and eventually you don't notice much of anything.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

I would have honestly asked the instructor to either move, or start talking loudly to myself in all honesty. I would look absolutely crazy doing so, but I'm sure I would be asked by them to either quiet down or they would move. If they asked me to quiet down, I would say "Oh I'm sorry, it was getting hard to hear myself with you being so damn loud". I don't care if the guy is making his "paycheck" or not. We all have jobs that we need to do, but we shouldn't think that because we're working that we have more of a "claim" than a customer. In the real world, the opposite applies. Plus if the instructor is leaving a bad taste in people's mouths, he's probably not going to be getting business from golfers nearby if they're annoyed by his presence and etiquette. If an appliance delivery truck is blocking your driveway and you need to get out, should you need to drive through your grass simply because they're doing their jobs and have more of a claim to the street than you do because you're simply making a beer run?

This type of stuff at the end of the day boils down to common courtesy and common sense. Unfortunately, they are two things that cannot be taught or bought. Nuclear you did the right thing by moving and you know at the end of the day that it was tasteless on their behalf - not yours. Good for you!

EDIT: I also am never really distracted or annoyed. I just find a lack of common sense, etiquette and courtesy to be pretty annoying. I combat it when it is present in the hopes of teaching it on to those who "don't have it". As stated though, it is a losing battle that I'm willing to take on.

I've had an instructor move ME because we were being a little distracting to others. This guy had 3 guys ask for his card as we were walking towards a different end of the range. I doubt the guy in Nuclear's post has that happen often.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Spyder

We all have jobs that we need to do, but we shouldn't think that because we're working that we have more of a "claim" than a customer. In the real world, the opposite applies.

Though that's not true at all, even if we pretend it is, the person getting a lesson is a customer too, and likely a higher valued customer since they're paying more than a few bucks.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Though that's not true at all, even if we pretend it is, the person getting a lesson is a customer too, and likely a higher valued customer since they're paying more than a few bucks.

That depends on the way that the particular business is ran. In my business, the customer is always valued and is always right - hands down period. Aside from what I do, I know at my local range that the range is nice enough to let the instructor give lessons to his customers on their property. They do not care if you're getting lessons or hitting a bucket solo. They're getting their $10 for the large bucket period. The instructor is profiting when he comes to our range and the range does not profit from his lessons by taking a cut/%.

In this case, at the range I go to, my theory applies. At that point, it would be that person trying to convince me that they are more valuable because they're paying more. That's about the time I would congratulate them for paying more and keep on hitting where I am standing.

If you are buying a $40,000 car and the guy next to you is looking at an $80,000 vehicle.. he'll probably get more attention, or at least get 5 salesmen before you get 1. If it was my dealership, would he? Absolutely not. Success comes in equality of customers and satisfaction at the lowest level of business. I'd be bankrupt if I worked this way and wouldn't sleep at night. Paying more by no means should make you a priority. These are the types of businesses that begged for a bail out - solid proof that this way of thinking doesn't work for very long and establishes no memorable customer relationships.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Spyder

That depends on the way that the particular business is ran. In my business, the customer is always valued and is always right - hands down period.

Thing is, that's not even close to true. It sounds nice, but it's not even close to accurate.

Customer: "Give me all of that stuff, free."

The customer isn't always right.

Most ranges don't "let" pros teach there. Pros pay money - either a monthly fee, a percentage, a combination, etc. - to teach there. You may practice at one that "lets" pros teach there but it's far from common. Odds are that's the kind of place we're talking about.

And to be clear, if we're tight on space and I need an end space (rather than taking up two spaces in the middle) and there's NOWHERE else to give the lesson (i.e. the other end of the range), lessons get priority at my range. I'm nice, and I'll ask people to move (it's only happened, oh, twice in several years now?). I've just been playing devil's advocate a bit in this thread, partly because I don't really worry about things like this and I'm not sure why the OP did either. Just roll with things... makes life easier and more fun. :-)

I'm not arguing with you about the way you practice your profession though and yes, the way I run my business is not often found these days. Of course you did take it to the extreme with the example of the customer demanding free stuff. The old days were when the economy was booming and jobs were abundant. I was taught that practice of customer appreciation through my upbringing and was always more "common sense" and street smart over book smart.

What you said is perfectly fine in regard to how you're working your lessons in. At the local range here though, where the pros do not pay for "office space" on the range and profit 100% of lesson-income - do not ask me to move. For all I care they can have their customer tee off of the hood of their BMW lol.

EDIT: Most of the pros here though have heads way too large to keep it within 1 stall though. Their egos are bigger than their backswing.

Note: This thread is 4646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!