IGNORED

Backyard putting green...

SuaSponteMn
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was actually looking at this also. I have a long summer off work ahead of me, so this would be a great project. I've planned how I want to do it, problem is, its damn near impossible to find a decent reel mower, ANYWHERE, to keep it in tip top shape after its constructed. im looking at building something at least 80x80, and turning our 6 acres into a par 3 hole, maybe 4 if its long enough.

And the fiance is all for it, so that helps the situation. As some tree's, landscaping, and a putting green will bring up our property value quite a bit.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 2 years later...

Guys,

what would be the most striking argument to convince my significant other that we really, really need a 200 sq ft putting in green in a sunny premium part of the garden and not right behind the house in the shades?

Please help...

PS: I could hit balls from 25 yards did not make it through - same as "I could add a sand trap"

the more practice you get the least money you waste playing a bad game

My clubs-

Driver- Cleveland XL270 

3 wood- Cleveland XL270 HL 3 wood

hybrid and irons-Cleveland Mashie 3 hybrid 

Adams a4r 4 hybrid-gw

wedges- a4r pw, gw, snakeyes 

Callaway x-series jaws 56 Degree, 60 Degree

putter- Oddessey metal-x 

You could skip the putting green altogether and just work on a variety of putting drills inside your house. There are three major advantages I see in doing this as opposed to installing a putting green in your backyard.

1. It would effectively keep the peace between you and your significant other.

2. Using a variety of drills inside your own home will most likely improve your game more than spending random free time in your backyard on a putting green.

3. Not sure how much money it would cost you to install a decent putting green, but you could save the money it would have cost you and invest it into your golf game in other areas...eg. playing more rounds, buying new clubs and having them custom fit to your swing, or even

attending a golf school.

Just my two cents though, however I feel that there are others out there that will agree with my perspective on this.

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

I somewhat agree, however there is no learning curve like actually playing the game. Doing drills will only take you so far. Working in reality though on an actual green will benefit above all other options. This is the same concept as when someone is thinking they're doing good at the range. The course is a whole different ball game. In my opinion, putting on carpet in your house will never equal an actual green. Chipping is an exception though that can be done anywhere, in any grass. Set another ball down and focus on landing your ball on/near the second ball for distance control.

I agree that drills can only take you so far Spyder, however installing a putting green in your backyard is essentially the same thing is spending and hour or so after work at the driving range every day and never playing...in fact, in my opinion it may be worse as he would surely eventually know that green like the back of his hand...in which case it would be of no real use to his actual game. He could save that money, work on a variety of drills, and use the money he is saving to play more rounds....which is obviously better than doing drills or practicing on a repetitive green that he would grow completely accustomed to...which, in the end would be a colossal waste of money.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I somewhat agree, however there is no learning curve like actually playing the game. Doing drills will only take you so far. Working in reality though on an actual green will benefit above all other options. This is the same concept as when someone is thinking they're doing good at the range. The course is a whole different ball game. In my opinion, putting on carpet in your house will never equal an actual green. Chipping is an exception though that can be done anywhere, in any grass. Set another ball down and focus on landing your ball on/near the second ball for distance control.

The War Sticks:

Well it's all in how you look at it. He can constantly change the contour, put in multiple holes and have virtually millions of break combinations depending on the ball's lie. You would be able to get it a little dry or keep it a little wet for fast/slower green speed, etc. It's basically up to your own discretion and what you feel is actually worth it at the end of the day. I would personally love a putting green because I would be chipping at it and playing with the "constants" (wetting it, drying it, multiple holes, etc.) and putting on it daily. Sure you would eventually be mastering your own little green, but you will also definitely come across similar lies, breaks, speeds, distances etc. which would equal experience, not waste. A waste would be putting on artificial turf or carpet because you're not going to get a remotely "real" putt off of it. Putting on a green is putting on a green though and will most definitely help your game in the end.

I often hit the putting/chipping green for only 5-10 mins before I play just to see a comparison of how their actual greens will play. Assuming they're watered equally, or after it rains and mother nature takes over, you'll have an idea of what you're going to see on the course.

I can't say I disagree with that train of thought, however to do all the things mentioned above it would be very high maintenance imho...and if there is one thing that my wife has taught me it's that high maintenance = a lot of unnecessary money spent....lol.

I'm just a huge believer in training and drilling the mechanics of the golf swing into your body and mind so I, personally, do not see the need nor understand the desire to install a putting green in my backyard...but I'll definitely head over to someone's house that has one installed....lol

I suppose though, if he absolutely MUST have a green in his backyard he could kill his lawn in crop circle fashion...and just so happen to grow a finely manicured lawn back in it's place....BAM...no since in not having at least ONE hole out there on that miraculously resurrected lawn that is now meticulously maintained...it would be like a gift from the stars....

The War Sticks:

Haha. Like I said, we're both on the same page and I agree with you as well. It's just whatever is worth it to that person - and like you, my "other half" would never allow it!

If I can talk a buddy into doing it though, that's his sleepless nights with one eye out the window!

Yeah probably not worth the time, effort, and cost of a small putting green in the yard. Cost alone; excavate outline, fill with sand mix, establish with some sort of irrigation, apply fertilizer, buy walk behind reel mower, mow at least every other day, apply chemicals (herbicide, fungicide, insecticide), winterize if necessary. Somewhere in the middle of that...........find time to actually use the thing Definately not worth it !

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Originally Posted by Pope33

Yeah probably not worth the time, effort, and cost of a small putting green in the yard. Cost alone; excavate outline, fill with sand mix, establish with some sort of irrigation, apply fertilizer, buy walk behind reel mower, mow at least every other day, apply chemicals (herbicide, fungicide, insecticide), winterize if necessary. Somewhere in the middle of that...........find time to actually use the thing Definately not worth it !

This ^^^^^^^

The War Sticks:

I knew a guy that bought some really expensive kentucky blue/bermuda mix that just mowed it down very low and trained it to thrive being short (whereas most grasses would burn). His was in full shade and it worked pretty decent for a putting green. Applied like 2 bags of Scott's a year ($15/ea.) and mowed once a day in the morning (took around 15 minutes). His worked pretty well for it's cause and was very low maintenance.

Depends on your income level though and amount of usage again. Just like people driving expensive Audi A8's or S4's (or insert any high class sports car that is even more expensive, Lambo, Ferrari, etc.) when they can buy a 2012 Mustang Boss and have it Hennessey'd at 900+HP for the same concept and still save around $20,000. It boils down to the person and their preference and everyone is different.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Hollister

what would be the most striking argument to convince my significant other that we really, really need a 200 sq ft putting in green in a sunny premium part of the garden and not right behind the house in the shades?

200 square feet? That's not very big. Assuming a one-foot margin and a 10 x 20 foot rectangle, the longest putt you could make corner to corner would only be 21 feet. If that's as big as you can make it just practice inside and save the cash.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if you're not going the artificial route, here's one mans adventure four months after the initial planting (and just now beginning to be playable).

and then.....

Hey guys, thanks for you opinions! Been pondering the matter for the last weeks, too.

Confession first: I've got the artificial SWG turf rolled up nicely on the backside of my house next to the bags with sand infill. It was a bargain - the equivalent of a indoor quality putting carpet. For the installation I am looking at further 50 bucks for gravel and sand, $20 for a weed blocking fabric, rental for a compactor, $30 for a few cups, a couple of nails, seaming glue/fabric and a few things I might have forgotten. $130 tops, overall $260 when finished. And low maintenance guaranteed - wouldn't dare to go for a natural green.

The size is about 7.5 x 28 feet plus 2 feet fringe at the small ends. That would fit behind the house where grass is reluctant to grow anyways.

My idea was to split the roll into a l-shape - but that would not fit behind the house. Hence the hunt for arguments.

And yes, I asked myself the questions you asked:

- Do I really need a putting green in my backyard? - for that price tag I say YES, PLLLEEEAASE

- Will I outgrow/master that putting green eventually? - couldn't answer that - cup placement would be another topic to cover

- Couldn't I continue chipping on the lawn? - yep, but have balls land on the green would be really nice - I have no chance to practice that on the range

Hmm, under the circumstances listed above:

Would you proceed with a 7.5 x 27 feet patch plus fringe? Should I hunt for more turf - which length for a putt would you consider prudent?

Or should I opt for a l-shape in a sunny spot of the backyard (and hunt for arguments).

I'll be honest...I'm a little flabbergasted at the thought of renting a compactor for $20...I rented an aerator last weekend and it ran me 60$ for four hours....

Originally Posted by Hollister

For the installation I am looking at further 50 bucks for gravel and sand, $20 for a weed blocking fabric, rental for a compactor, $30 for a few cups, a couple of nails, seaming glue/fabric and a few things I might have forgotten. $130 tops, overall $260 when finished. And low maintenance guaranteed - wouldn't dare to go for a natural green.

The War Sticks:

DO IT!  I convinced the wife that we should get rid of the grass in our back yard and just have an artificial (sand filled) putting green several years ago.  It always looks great and requires almost no upkeep.

I use it 4-5 times a week and it has made a HUGE difference in my putting.  Could I have improved my putting even more with the same amount of time at a real putting green at the course?  Absolutely.  The course has more variation in putts, longer putts, and a better roll.  But the closest course to me is a 45 min round trip which means I never go there just to putt.  Having the green in my back yard has been great because it's so convenient. I have a small (4'x5') area of fringe at one end that I use to hit chips as well.  Basically the same length chip over and over but I vary the trajectory, spin, etc and I'm a better chipper than the 2 roughly scratch players I play with all the time.

This is about 700 sq ft:

Backyard_green_1

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

That actually looks quite nice...what was the cost of putting it in, if you don't mind me asking?

The War Sticks:

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!