IGNORED

My Swing (domc36)

domc36
Note: This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im about a 20ish handicap. I have the typical high capper slice. I experience misshits, super chunky, scald, duff etc. I shoot mid 40's though 9. Broke 30 once this summer. I've been playing since about last June. So a little over a year. So tell me what you guys think. And obviously, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Hi domc36,

I am by no means a pro, but from what I can tell you do come over the top. I recently fixed my over the top swing by keeping my right elbow "tucked" close to my body. Not a forced thing, just keep it close and have your elbow pointing at your right hip. Once there, you can drop your arms to start the downswing and get the lower body involved.

It also doesn't appear that you move your hips laterally at all in the downswing. I am not sure if this is gospel or not, but I was always told to move your hips forward as you swing down.

at 0:07 of the face-on video, at and just after impact, you can see that you are pulling up and in with a straightening left knee and hips nearly square at impact.

This is a result of you OTT move and the up is your way of creating room for that OTT move.

I'm not the guy to ask about fixes because I setup differently. Still, it seems like you need to give yourself room by maybe clearing your hips or standing a bit farther from the ball or something. Then work on that first move of the downswing being more under than out. Think LPGA.

I know that I am getting closer when at impact I am driving into a flexed lead knee instead of a straightening lead knee.

Great swing for such a new player. And breaking 30 is a real feat.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

at 0:07 of the face-on video, at and just after impact, you can see that you are pulling up and in with a straightening left knee and hips nearly square at impact.

This is a result of you OTT move and the up is your way of creating room for that OTT move.

I'm not the guy to ask about fixes because I setup differently. Still, it seems like you need to give yourself room by maybe clearing your hips or standing a bit farther from the ball or something. Then work on that first move of the downswing being more under than out. Think LPGA.

I know that I am getting closer when at impact I am driving into a flexed lead knee instead of a straightening lead knee.

Great swing for such a new player. And breaking 30 is a real feat.

WOW. I meant 40...My bad.

I really appreciate your input however, not 100 percent sure what some of the terms you mentioned mean. ott? And standing further from the ball would benefit me? And clearing my hips?

OTT = Over The Top: From a Down The Line view (DTL) if you draw a line from the ball up the shaft at impact. That is your plane line. An over the top swing has the shaft over that line on your downswing. That results is a clubhead swing path that is outside to inside the target line as it approaches and passes the ball. That creates a pull and/or a slice.

Space -- in order to get to the proper impact position of a straight lead arm that is in line with the shaft, you need space to create space for the arms to swing. Note that your arms are not straight up the shaft at address because you have a conventional setup. You can create that space by standing up and raising your shoulders, by spinning your hips toward the target (clearing your hips) and/or by started the whole process a bit farther from the ball.

NOTE: I am NOT a teaching pro. There are some on this site. If you wanted to learn to swing like Moe Norman, I could help you. A conventional swing like you are doing, I am out of my comfort zone. That said, OTT is OTT in your swing and in mine. :)

And breaking 40 is not so bad either.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Hi Domc36,

I agree with both Rustyredcab & Haddockd that you have an OTT swing.

Please carefully read this article written by Mike Pedersen as it will shed some light on what an OTT swing is, what are some of the causes, and remedies.

But basically, your back swing is the first fault. Once you get to the top of the backswing, you also make the mistake of moving down with your upper body.

It's important for you to understand that both your takeaway and backswing are under plane. In image #1 , your club head is too low and should be positioned where I placed a green circle. You want to take the club back in between the two white lines. You're also rolling your arms too much. I drew a yellow line on the face of your club, which is very open here. When you get the club to the position behind your hands (green circle) your club face should be parallel with your spine. I also noticed that your right leg is fully extended. Look at i mage #2 of Goerge Howel III. Here, his club is in a better takeaway position, and its face is close to parallel with his spine. Also not how he keeps his right knee flexed.

Please review the 1st video below. Mark Crossfield will explain how it's best to

swing within the plane lines. Then, look at the 2nd video where Shawn Clement will help you with a better approach to your takeaway and backswing.

Rustyredcab mentioned that you pull up in your downswing. Image #3 shows this. You'll want to start the downswing with your lower body, all while (from the B ehind T he L ine perspective - BTL) maintaining your spine tilt or posture. See videos 3 & 4. By keeping your BTL posture, you'll give yourself space in the impact area for which your hands can swing through.  Though you lost some of the your original spine tilt from the BTL perspective, you gained some back in image #4 .

domc36.png

1st video below

2nd video below

3rd video

4th video

Originally Posted by domc36

Im about a 20ish handicap. I have the typical high capper slice. I experience misshits, super chunky, scald, duff etc. I shoot mid 40's though 9. Broke 30 once this summer. I've been playing since about last June. So a little over a year. So tell me what you guys think. And obviously, any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Pardon?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

MPS67 , Thanks so much. Had a short range session early and really tried to implement some of the new techniques. Ill have a video up shortly.

Sean Miller, Already addressed that. It was a mere typo. Meant to say 40.

Didn't see that post actually - that one guy's Moe Norman avatar is mesmerizing and I skipped over that post of yours - my bad.

Originally Posted by domc36

MPS67, Thanks so much. Had a short range session early and really tried to implement some of the new techniques. Ill have a video up shortly.

Sean Miller, Already addressed that. It was a mere typo. Meant to say 40.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!