IGNORED

My Swing (Meesh)

Meesh
Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks for the advice guys, ill work on those setup adjustments. I have newer video of me swinging the driver and it looks quite a bit different then my iron swing. I extend way to early and my left shoulder tends to go up quick in the ds. Ill post it later tonight

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys I need some serious help with my driver swing I'm hitting a lot of high cuts and I'm getting really steep even popping up the ball at times. I know I turn to much on the backswing and I need more extension and left tilt but I'm afraid if I do that I would just get even steeper. I also know that I need to straighten the right leg more. I also extend really early in the down swing but wouldn't that shallow out the path and push it out to the right more?? I used to hit draws all the time with my driver but lately it's been high weak cuts.

I agree, it looks like you need to focus on that right leg straightening on backswing... To help turn your hips - as I see very limited hip turn in your current swing.  A good model for you would be Oosthuizen.  I see a lot of similar things in your swing (right foot) and extension as his.  You have a solid swing bud.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree its something I need to work on, but I used to hit my driver ok before without straitening my right leg. I started hitting my driver bad when I tried to go back into flexion on the downswing, which is something I need to work on but I must be doing it the wrong way.  My right leg stays pretty flexed in my iron swing also.

You've got a really nice swing, much better than mine, and at a 4 HC obviously you play significantly better than me, so take my view for what it's worth.

I agree with Beachcomber.  Your hip turn on the back swing looks a little like a kind of weird bow legged squat with minimal turn, which seems not optimal.

The other thing that I notice is that your shoulder plane at A4 is very flat.  You do have limited hip turn going back but you look nice coming down, firing the hips forward and getting the right shoulder low towards impact and everything, so it's obviously not leading to hacker wrap swing slices or pulled super snap hooks or anything.  But it looks to me like if anything your down swing is a tiny bit too flat, not too steep, and a tiny bit wrapping around from the outside.  If you (and others here with a better eye than me) agree that's true, maybe the flat shoulder plane at the top is a possible cause?  If others don't think this is true I'm definitely interested in why.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by mdl

You've got a really nice swing, much better than mine, and at a 4 HC obviously you play significantly better than me, so take my view for what it's worth.

I agree with Beachcomber.  Your hip turn on the back swing looks a little like a kind of weird bow legged squat with minimal turn, which seems not optimal.

The other thing that I notice is that your shoulder plane at A4 is very flat.  You do have limited hip turn going back but you look nice coming down, firing the hips forward and getting the right shoulder low towards impact and everything, so it's obviously not leading to hacker wrap swing slices or pulled super snap hooks or anything.  But it looks to me like if anything your down swing is a tiny bit too flat, not too steep, and a tiny bit wrapping around from the outside.  If you (and others here with a better eye than me) agree that's true, maybe the flat shoulder plane at the top is a possible cause?  If others don't think this is true I'm definitely interested in why.

He needs to load on the left leg better (straighten the right) and that will help steepen the shoulder turn.  All of this will help fire the right side through the ball - which looks like you're not giving yourself much of a 'power slot' to right that right forearm through.  Thus your waist/lower abdomin area kind of gets in the way and forces your path further right.  Which leads you to stand - extend in order to hit the ball which reverses the path inside.  Your club after impact comes far inside and across your body... Again leading to the cut shot.

Here is a photo sequence I did of Tiger... He has the best 'power slot' I've seen.  Focus on posture and pivot and you will give yourself plenty of room to fire into the ball.

Taken from the 'right leg straight' thread... Here are a few instructional photos that may help explain how straightening the right leg - helps the shoulder turn (courtesy of MVMAC)

Here is another one...

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Taken from the 'right leg straight' thread... Here are a few instructional photos that may help explain how straightening the right leg - helps the shoulder turn (courtesy of MVMAC)

Here is another one...

Thank you!

I played a quick 9 holes tonight working on straightening my right leg. I hit a lot of snap hooks and pull draws. I'm still really steep tho, I popped a bunch of drives up. I put a few sky marks on my driver .

Originally Posted by Meesh

Thank you!

I played a quick 9 holes tonight working on straightening my right leg. I hit a lot of snap hooks and pull draws. I'm still really steep tho, I popped a bunch of drives up. I put a few sky marks on my driver.

I'm working on the same exact thing - and those are my misses.  Focus on the pivot and timing of the sequence.  When I focus on my timing - or tempo - I seem to hit it better.  When I try to get fast or quick - is when I hit the dreaded pull or hook.  The thing with modifying the right leg is that it is going to alter your low point... So you have to slide the hips in order to maintain consistency.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm working on the same exact thing - and those are my misses.  Focus on the pivot and timing of the sequence.  When I focus on my timing - or tempo - I seem to hit it better.  When I try to get fast or quick - is when I hit the dreaded pull or hook.  The thing with modifying the right leg is that it is going to alter your low point... So you have to slide the hips in order to maintain consistency.

Also, check your ball position.  With the driver if you are skying it - you may have the ball too far back and not enough forward - and need to move it forward in your stance.  Check out Grant's ball position in this sequence with the driver...

You can clearly see how much his right leg straightens - and hips slide toward the target - in order to make clean contact.  The ball is far forward.

my ball position looks ok. I'm going to try to set up with my hips more forward. Its just so frustrating that I was hitting the ball pretty good a few weeks ago then I started skying the ball

Originally Posted by Meesh

my ball position looks ok. I'm going to try to set up with my hips more forward. Its just so frustrating that I was hitting the ball pretty good a few weeks ago then I started skying the ball

With my driver - I preset my hips (left) and have success.  It is a subtle move that has worked for me.  Helps me find my low point more consistently.

Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!