IGNORED

Back pain?

DublinMeUp
Note: This thread is 4467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by DublinMeUp

Looks like i need to head to a doctor.

This is the best way to handle your issues.  See a Sports Orthopedics doctor if you can.  They can easily diagnose your issues and more than likely send you to PT.  The PT people will be able to isolate the muscles in question and give you the PROPER exercises to stretch and strengthen your affected area.   After a few PT sessions you will have the hang of the exercises and will be able to continue them at home.  Remember, once the pain subsides, stay the course and keep up with the exercises as back issues will return if ignored.

• 2 weeks later...

Back pain is a recurrent problem among golf players. Majority of the players suffer from regular back aches which develop while playing. Most often the ache can develop if players do not exercise regularly or condition their bodies according to the needs of the game. Back aches can also occur if the game is played for too long a duration or during some specific golf swings. Researchers have found that golfers experience aches when the club hits the ball and during the follow-through of the swing. The tilting of the player's body to one side during this swing action also contributes to the back ache.

Orthopedics usually asks golfers to make the swing upright rather than sideways to avoid this mishap. There are various ways to cure the back ache: massage, acupuncture, physical therapies, chiropractic, muscle relaxants and pain killers. It is best to take the opinion of a doctor before opting for any of these. For extreme pain one can take an anti-inflammatory medicine but it is better to opt for rest for a few days. A few exercises and ice packs can also help to lessen the pain. Since inflammation softens the tissue, any extra bending or twisting can further damage it.

Some easy exercises have helped golfers to carry on with playing without experiencing the lower back ache. These exercises also help the muscles to be strong and endure wear and tear. Chiropractic adjustments help to lessen acute low back ache. However, this treatment is short-lived. If the muscle spasm is not reduced and the motion restored, bouts of back ache would continue to recur. A therapeutic exercise goes a long way in helping the muscle to work.

Whenever a low back pain occurs, a golfer should first consult a doctor to check out if any other reason is there behind the pain. This should be followed by making oneself comfortable. With the hips and knees bent to 90 degrees, one can lie on one's back near a sofa. Resting the calves on the sofa will help to remove the pressure from the area. As the lower back eases out, an ice pack can be placed underneath. The ice would reduce and break the inflammation.

• 2 months later...

Why did this post come to the top of my subscriptions list when it hasn't been updated since November?  I claim shenanigans, starting with the assertion that Egypt44 isn't an actual person.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Out of the people i know who play, i have one of the longest turns and hardest swings. I put alot of torque in my body, i never once had issue with back pain due to golf. I had some back issues with my weight, when you are 70-100 lbs over weight from your optimal weight, its an issue. Actually golf helped stretch out my back more than not. So i have no clue were this guy gets that majority of golfers have back problems. I would more say that people who are overweight or obese have back problems, which in the USA is majority of people.

The best way to help your back, core workouts. Do not do static stretching that should only be done after working out. As for yoga, you need to find a good instructor, its not very well regulated, and you can find people who do half ass jobs. But, i would start with the following exercises,

Planks & Side Planks

Lunges (split leg squats)

what also helps is getting a foam roller, and you can roll out on it and work kinks out of the muscles, its like a personal massage. That or lay on a tennis ball, but that is very intense, so be careful with how much weight you put on it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!