IGNORED

Callaway X18 vs. X20 vs. X20 Tours

Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe a stretch - has anyone demo'd/played these irons comparatively? I hit the X18s and demo'd the other two today, or the 6 iron anyway. I liked the tours - any comments on the differences, if any? I understand that no offset on the tours will be less forgiving, but they sure seemed hot off the club.

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

Maybe a stretch - has anyone demo'd/played these irons comparatively? I hit the X18s and demo'd the other two today, or the 6 iron anyway. I liked the tours - any comments on the differences, if any? I understand that no offset on the tours will be less forgiving, but they sure seemed hot off the club.

I play the callaway x20 tour and these are by FAR the best irons I've ever owned! The feel is amazing for not being a forged club...

I shot an 83 at my home course after only playing with these clubs one other time. The course and slope at my course are 72.9 & 139 slope...

What were you hitting before? I'm just a little worried about not having the offset - when I demo'd the six iron - it felt great. I'm hitting the X18s now. BTW - When I walked in my office this morning - my TM superquad came in - I'll be hitting it this afternoon!

In the Bag -

425 Stiff
Rapture 3W
Rescue 16 D X18 Irons 50 & 56 Putter ProV1

What were you hitting before? I'm just a little worried about not having the offset - when I demo'd the six iron - it felt great. I'm hitting the X18s now. BTW - When I walked in my office this morning - my TM superquad came in - I'll be hitting it this afternoon!

It depends if you're looking for more workability or forgiveness?

I was playing the X-18, but I couldn't play a fade to save my life because of the off-set in the x-18's. If you're a 7, I'm sure you won't notice a big difference in the forgiveness... Being a lefty and ex-hockey player, I've always had a strong grip and never had a problem leaving my ball out to the left, but I hate the right side... Like Trevino said, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen..."

When I was seeking the perfect irons, I tried the x-18, the x-20 and the x20 tours. I picked the xtours, which are no longer made. The x-18 and the x-20 had too much offset, and the bottom was like a shovel. It just didn't feel right. The x-20 tour was better, because of the limited offset, but it was still like way expensive (at the time). The xtours which where being discontinued where on sale for $499. I went with the xtours.

You can buy one iron of each club, then tape the crap out of it to see how you hit it in real life. But the really big tip is to get fitted. Lie angle,swing speed.. Very important. I would venture capital to say that an ill fitted standard top end "forgiving iron" will not be as good as the same club, or *any* club properly fitted. If WALMART fitted it's "walmart clubs" you would post lower scores than any non fitted high end club, in my opinion.

Yeah, a lot of pressure. Rise above it. Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness energy, block bad.
Feel the flow, Happy. It's circular. It's Like a carousel. You get on the horse. It goes up, down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music,the flow. All good things.I...

I've hit just abouty everything; Ping I5, S58's, Cally X-forged, X-tour, R7tp's, Adams Idea Pros, Titleist 775's, 755's, CG4's, etc etc.

I ended up with the R7TP's for about 2-months until I hit my low 5-capper buddies X-20 Tours and fell in love with them. I still have the T/M R7TP's, but I had to buy the X-20 Tours. They're that nice. Now the only problem is figuring out which ones to stick with and which ones to back up the others. Hot off the face, soft as forged irons, forgiving, very workable and 1/2 as clunky as the X-18's and X-20's. What more do we look for?
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

I play the callaway x20 tour and these are by FAR the best irons I've ever owned! The feel is amazing for not being a forged club...

What's your handicap, if you don't mind me asking?

In The Bag

Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

Nevermind... I'm a dufus. I didn't read your profile before.

In The Bag

When I was seeking the perfect irons, I tried the x-18, the x-20 and the x20 tours. I picked the xtours, which are no longer made.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the X-20 Tour irons can still be ordered via the Callaway Golf website at http://shop.callawaygolf.com/Product.aspx?cid=46&CS;_ProductID=irons-x-20-tour&iW;=0&s;_kwcid=callaway%20x%2020%20tour|875052032 .

I just ordered my 1 degree up tours this past sunday.

Pretty much everybody told me "no offset = less forgiving."

But being an engineer, I need specifics, and need to quantify just what this "less forgiving" means. The X-20 Tours are designed to be just as "forgiving" as the the regular X-20's. However, though the ball feels just as soft, the tours are a lot different. I can actually control how much fade or draw with the tours, but with the normal X-20 it just feels like...well, it just feels like I hit the ball. With the tours, I can tell from the feel through the clubhead just how much draw or fade I got, or exactly where I hit the ball. The offset realy only means that you had better have that clubhead face square when you strike the ball.

So I discovered that the tours were not as forgiving in ball fade/draw, but forgiving just the same when it came to distance.

I like the Taylor Made Irons because I could hit close to 200 yds with the 6-Iron, but I didn't have as much control as I did with the callaway x-20 tours. That control is really going to help me drop some important shots here and there.

I hope that helps.

I just ordered my 1 degree up tours this past sunday.

So what you're saying is the X-20 Tours fits YOUR game best.

In The Bag

So what you're saying is the X-20 Tours fits YOUR game best.

Uh, what set of golf clubs is NOT like that? Since when has there been one club(s) that have been perfect for everyone?

Uh, what set of golf clubs is NOT like that? Since when has there been one club(s) that have been perfect for everyone?

Why the sarcasm. I just asked a simple question?

In The Bag

Tried X20 Tour with Project X 6.0 with it... Felt great... Demoed the club to feel the shaft... Great club... Could work the ball and distance was increased from my current iron sets. Strongly recommended.

However, I am looking into MP60 with Project X 6.0 at the golf expo soon... I think that might be sweeter....
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Why the sarcasm. I just asked a simple question?

I interpreted your post as sarcastic. So, disregard my last post.

Yes, they are the club that fit me best. I like the soft feel, the flex of the shaft, the feedback, etc. It's what I was looking for. Some of the other clubs I tried felt like I was hitting rocks, and my right wrist (I'm a leftie) was really fatigued after a while of hitting non-callaway clubs (except the pings). I went to carl's golfland, and they let you take three clubs at a time. I demoed a lot of clubs, and I once I had it narrowed down to the rac, r7, i5, and X-20 Tour. I hit a ton with the R7, and rac...and I almost regret not getting them. They Taylor Made makes some great equipment, even though I disagree with the idea of weights correcting my swing for me. But that's just my opinion and really shouldn't be any concern to you guys. For whatever reason, I didn't have as much control with the TM's. Whether it be my swing, or the clubs, the X20 had much superior feel and control when it came to drawing and fading the ball.

I interpreted your post as sarcastic. So, disregard my last post.

Good for you. Give us an update after a couple of rounds.... Good rounds only!

In The Bag

• 3 weeks later...
I've had the X-20 Tour irons for a couple of months now. Hit them a lot on the range and played a few rounds. They are very nice irons, terrific feel, none of the clunky gadgetry of the game-improvement irons, workable, confidence-inspiring. My only complaint is that, for me, they are about 1/2 a club shorter than my previous Hogan Apex Plus irons. But this doesn't bother me a bit. I hit them so much straighter, and with just as much spin and control, that the (slight) loss of distance is really inconsequential.

I waffled for months between the X-20 Tour and the TM R7 TP, and I just liked the feel and forgiveness of the Callaways better. And this is from someone who has for 20 years REFUSED to buy Callaway irons. I am very happy with these. (By the way, I bought them with the dynamic gold sl S300shafts, not the project x shafts).
STICKS:

TAYLOR MADE R9 (9.5) (Fuji Motore)
EXOTICS XCG (15.0) (Aldila DVS)
TAYLOR MADE Rescue TP (17, 21) (Fuji Reax)MIZUNO MP-62 (5-PW) (Dynamic Gold SL Sensicore)MIZUNO MP-R (52, 56, 60) (Dynamic Gold SL Sensicore)YES! Natalie (Tiger Shark)TAYLOR MADE Black (#68)

I've had the X-20 Tour irons for a couple of months now. Hit them a lot on the range and played a few rounds. They are very nice irons, terrific feel, none of the clunky gadgetry of the game-improvement irons, workable, confidence-inspiring. My only complaint is that, for me, they are about 1/2 a club shorter than my previous Hogan Apex Plus irons. But this doesn't bother me a bit. I hit them so much straighter, and with just as much spin and control, that the (slight) loss of distance is really inconsequential.

I happen to have both sets, the X-20 Tours and the R7TP's. The R7TP's are currently my gamers, but I haven't really had, nor taken the time to get used to the X-20 Tours. I demoed a set a month before trading the X-Forged for them and just haven't taken them out of the box yet. Good to hear they are as awsome as I remember demoing.
In The Bag

Note: This thread is 5206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!