IGNORED

Winter courses open in North NJ or N/E PA ??

inthehole
Note: This thread is 4664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've done some research & there's a few courses open year round (weather permitting) in Reading, PA area, but can't find any info on any in northern PA / NJ ... can anybody steer me in the right direction ?

Thx !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm interested in this as well...only course i could find that was open really was The Club at Morgan Hill in Easton, PA...otherwise it looks like a southern trip is in order in march...(already have that planned!) if you're interested ITH, let me know in a PM, i'm trying to get some guys to head down with!

-PG

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Not sure how far your looking to travel, but I live in the Philly area and there are a number of courses near me open year round (weather permitting of course). I'm not too sure about in Jersey. I know my usual course I play in NJ is closed as of Thanksgiving each year. As for north of here? I'm not sure. Don't travel up that way for golf much.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

names? descriptions? opinions on the courses?...comon man it's like teasin practically

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Allentown Municipal has rates through Feb 28th so I assume they will be open - http://www.allentowngolf.org/content/view/14/39/ . Run of the mill muni course. Not worth going out of your way for in season play but maybe not bad for a winter round. I would think there would be a few courses in Scranton area open year round but it might take a phone call as the type of courses that stay open year round seem to under utilize technology (websites).

I'm not sure I can stomach playing in colder temps than we are experiencing now. I played yesterday in 48 degrees, minimal wind and cloudy conditions but it was not a great experience. I'm considering drawing the line at 55'ish degrees (or head to the range instead of playing). I really want to continue to play but the conditions are just not enjoyable.

I hit an 8 iron that landed on the green and bounced 20 feet in the air. Thankfully the ball had enough spin to stop after the first bounce. When I went to fix the divot the tool actually bounced off the earth under the divot as it was nearly frozen. The fairways were soft due to the recent rains but the greens were hard.

You'd probably have more trouble finding ones that aren't open but I can't really give you many options I never played much in the Reading area. Ravens Claw in Pottstown is pretty nice if you want to drive down there but that's about all I know.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Thanks guys - it's nice to know there's at least someplace open in mid winter if we do happen to get a warm spell.     FYI - Flying Hills in Reading is open all year.

John

Originally Posted by clubchamp

You'd probably have more trouble finding ones that aren't open but I can't really give you many options I never played much in the Reading area. Ravens Claw in Pottstown is pretty nice if you want to drive down there but that's about all I know.

Turtle Creek is right down the street from Ravens Claw and is a much more enjoyable course IMO.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Thanks guys - it's nice to know there's at least someplace open in mid winter if we do happen to get a warm spell.     FYI - Flying Hills in Reading is open all year.

Isn't that the course with the telephone pole or power line pole in the middle of one of the fairways?

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Turtle Creek is right down the street from Ravens Claw and is a much more enjoyable course IMO.

Isn't that the course with the telephone pole or power line pole in the middle of one of the fairways?

Yep - I think the power pole is on the dogleg hole #5 ... totally surrounded by condo's & extremely tight.   Always nervous playing in such close proximity to condo's - have to club down to avoid shanking one off somebodys front porch !

John

Quote:

Yep - I think the power pole is on the dogleg hole #5 ... totally surrounded by condo's & extremely tight.   Always nervous playing in such close proximity to condo's - have to club down to avoid shanking one off somebodys front porch !

I only played there once... don't remember much about it other than that pole, condo's everywhere and the hot dogs seemed above par.

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

I'm interested in this as well...only course i could find that was open really was The Club at Morgan Hill in Easton, PA...otherwise it looks like a southern trip is in order in march...(already have that planned!) if you're interested ITH, let me know in a PM, i'm trying to get some guys to head down with!

-PG

Thx man, but I have a Vegas trip scheduled to get in some winter golf - that'll tap me out.

John

Note: This thread is 4664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!