IGNORED

low-spin (straight) balls counter productive for SnT pattern??

Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, first off, I'll admit to being a little guilty of trying to "buy a swing" on occasion. I'm a bit of a sucker for technology!

Exhibit A: I was all fired up to buy some e-6 or DT Solo low spin balls in the hopes that it would eliminate or minimize my occasional slices BUT... I'm trying to develope an SnT patterned swing which should optimally be a push draw. When I do the proper* moves I usually hit a PUSH and, when I'm lucky, a Push-draw.

So, if I understand correctly, that means that on the majority of my swings I am leaving the face open to the target (the push) and swinging in-to-out - path and face are squared (hence lack of draw) - right?

When I successfully get the draw part to happen it is because I've managed to get my face a little more closed in relation to the path creating the differential and thereby curving the ball back towards the target.

So, my question is...drumroll...would a straight (low-spin) ball make the drawing part more difficult to achieve? IE: would I need to have even more differential between the path and the face to get the right to left movement I'm trying to accomplish?

*obviously not entirely proper or I would be hitting push-draw exclusively but you catch my drift...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Ok, first off, I'll admit to being a little guilty of trying to "buy a swing" on occasion. I'm a bit of a sucker for technology!

Exhibit A: I was all fired up to buy some e-6 or DT Solo low spin balls in the hopes that it would eliminate or minimize my occasional slices BUT... I'm trying to develope an SnT patterned swing which should optimally be a push draw. When I do the proper* moves I usually hit a PUSH and, when I'm lucky, a Push-draw.

So, if I understand correctly, that means that on the majority of my swings I am leaving the face open to the target (the push) and swinging in-to-out - path and face are squared (hence lack of draw) - right?

Yes a straight push means the face and path are matching up.  Can see this a lot with players that get underplane(clubhead too far inside the hands on the downswing) and/or tip the head back on the downswing.  Haven't seen your swing so not sure.  Some players try to swing out to the right, not what we want to do, if the weight is forward, hands forward, hips forward(right foot banking) the path will be far enough to the right.  I would check a few things in this order

- Make sure the face isn't too open at address

- raise the handle into the followthrough (like I'm doing in the practice swing below)

- left shoulder doesn't raise too fast on the downswing

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

So, my question is...drumroll...would a straight (low-spin) ball make the drawing part more difficult to achieve? IE: would I need to have even more differential between the path and the face to get the right to left movement I'm trying to accomplish?

Not sure, I don't think it would have a huge effect.  Erik probably knows

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks for the info. I do have a myswing thread but its not really great video and I've made some changes (thank god) since then.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ok saw that you just updated your swing thread.  Looking at the swing from Nov, I'd just say to keep working on the right foot action to keep the hips going forward on the downswing and to have the handle more forward at set-up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awesome thanks. I'll post some more video when I get a chance. Seriously considering evolvr but need a better camera and I'm hoping to set up a home hitting area to work on my swing as the range is not always practical (father of a 3yr old and a 5yr old!)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by mvmac

I guess that means that a low-spin ball wouldn't have a huge affect on slice either! Good to know.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

The simple answer is, no, a low spin ball will not be a cause for your push and lack of draw spin. I use a rock and I fight an over-draw.

Constantine

Quote:

I guess that means that a low-spin ball wouldn't have a huge affect on slice either! Good to know.

Oh, do you mean an over-fade?!?!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Just looked at your swing on your thread. I'm posting this here since this isn't really a swing tip because the tip I'm giving probably won't help without a bunch of other tips first but I noticed this. Also, think about getting a camera that can film in more FPS. It's tough to see some things in your swing clips.

I think this is a cause for your push -- not THE cause, but a cause. The camera is too low to the ground so that may be affecting what I see, but the face looks wide open to me here. I highlighted what I thought looked like an open club face relative to the arc, but again, this was difficult to see clearly due to some things like FPS and camera angle. I can't really see P6 since the camera isn't picking it up. There are other things wrong too of course, but the face does look open here relative to the arc. Maybe try taking the club back more shut on the backswing and checking to see if it's still more shut when you get to P6 during slow motion swings.
There's other stuff going on so this tip is likely moot, which is why I'm posting it here and not your swing thread, but yea, it's definitely not because of the ball you are using.

Constantine

I'm not using a low-spin ball, but was considering it. Now I'm just gonna stick to what's on sale!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

No actually, it's a POWERfade!!! LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

Quote:

Is this supposed to be some joke on my use of the term "over-draw?"

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Just looked at your swing on your thread. I'm posting this here since this isn't really a swing tip because the tip I'm giving probably won't help without a bunch of other tips first but I noticed this. Also, think about getting a camera that can film in more FPS. It's tough to see some things in your swing clips.

I think this is a cause for your push -- not THE cause, but a cause. The camera is too low to the ground so that may be affecting what I see, but the face looks wide open to me here. I highlighted what I thought looked like an open club face relative to the arc, but again, this was difficult to see clearly due to some things like FPS and camera angle. I can't really see P6 since the camera isn't picking it up. There are other things wrong too of course, but the face does look open here relative to the arc. Maybe try taking the club back more shut on the backswing and checking to see if it's still more shut when you get to P6 during slow motion swings.

There's other stuff going on so this tip is likely moot, which is why I'm posting it here and not your swing thread, but yea, it's definitely not because of the ball you are using.

Yeah the camera sucks and the images are way too dark to see some things. I agree about the face and am working on trying to keep it from rotating open so much, leftovers from all the hackers who told me TOE UP! TOE UP! I think I've come some way since this vdo but haven't had an opportunity to catch anything on film.

Still lots of pushes but no more  push-POWER-fades!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

On another note, this site is awesome. Thinking on becoming a supporter just to give back. I've learned more on this forum than every book, video and hacker tip I've ever encountered.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is this supposed to be some joke on my use of the term "over-draw?"

Of course it is. Very common to overcook a draw when consciously swinging in-to-out. First comes fighint the "over-draws" (rhymes with "books") then comes the _____s (rhymes with "thanks"). Been there. Done that.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

An over-draw is a more specific way to describe a decent shot that draws past the target and lands on the left side of the green or there abouts. A hook can be too vague of a term. And there are too many vague terms in golf.

And yes I do hook it as well, but not nearly as much as I over-draw it.

Constantine

An over-draw is a more specific way to describe a decent shot that draws past the target and lands on the left side of the green or there abouts. A hook can be too vague of a term. And there are too many vague terms in golf.

That sounds like an old school "pull draw". If I didn't see the swing - just the ball flight - that's what I'd guess anyway.

Quote:

That sounds like an old school "pull draw". If I didn't see the swing - just the ball flight - that's what I'd guess anyway.

That too yes. But I also have a push-draw that draws too much. The pull-draw does describe part of my shot pattern though, no question. Its playable though.

Constantine

Note: This thread is 4565 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!