IGNORED

Was a 3 handicap but been away from golf for a couple of years...what to hit???

Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

I was a VERY avid golfer for YEARS but hurt my back about 3 years ago and just couldn't play so I basically lost interest after being away for so long, BUT I want to try to get back.  I was one of those that always had the latest everything...I was down to a 1.2 and as high as a 5 over the past 10 years, but I havent played but once in the past year (at a member guest) and really not much at all over the past 2. I am going with some buddies to play in Vegas before the Superintendents Show a few rounds.  What driver is "hot" right now? I guess I don't want to spend the money for 2012 stuff, but maybe something from 2011 that you can get a good prices.  I have seen a lot of the Taylor Made white drivers...I guess they are the Superfast 2.0s??  Is that one a good one??? What would you suggest for a guy that wants something to get him back in the mood with some great drives?? I know, I know the driver won't do it but it always gets me in the mood when I have a new piece of equipment.  During that time, I got back to my music and that is going great, but there should be room for both...  Thanks a bunch!!!

Curt

The lightweight shafts on drivers can be helpful, up to a certain point. Some OEM reps at a January 2011 golf expo (yes, 12 months ago) were concerned that the superlight shafts might cause control problems for players with higher clubhead speed - the tips are soft due to super-thin shaft walls. Just something to consider.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It sounds like you are pretty good.  I don't think three years off is going to turn you into a 18 handicapper.  I bet you will be able to hit any driver or iron out there.  The rusty part of your game is probably going to be putting, chipping and pitching from 100yds in.

It might be worth having a club fitter look at your mechanics and swing speeds.  They can at least steer you away from the WRONG stuff, and you will still have plenty of options to choose from.  So buy whatever looks good to you.  Style, color, material, whatever.

I think shaft technology is more important than the chunk of metal and rubber at the ends of the club.

Driver: 600t 10.5*
3Wood: TBD
Irons: 1 Iron Golf 3i-PW
Putter: O-Blade
Hobby: I enjoy collecting samples of vintage Ping

Originally Posted by kmgreensman

Hello all,

I was a VERY avid golfer for YEARS but hurt my back about 3 years ago and just couldn't play so I basically lost interest after being away for so long, BUT I want to try to get back.  I was one of those that always had the latest everything...I was down to a 1.2 and as high as a 5 over the past 10 years, but I havent played but once in the past year (at a member guest) and really not much at all over the past 2. I am going with some buddies to play in Vegas before the Superintendents Show a few rounds.  What driver is "hot" right now? I guess I don't want to spend the money for 2012 stuff, but maybe something from 2011 that you can get a good prices.  I have seen a lot of the Taylor Made white drivers...I guess they are the Superfast 2.0s??  Is that one a good one??? What would you suggest for a guy that wants something to get him back in the mood with some great drives?? I know, I know the driver won't do it but it always gets me in the mood when I have a new piece of equipment.  During that time, I got back to my music and that is going great, but there should be room for both...  Thanks a bunch!!!

Curt

Which TaylorMade driver were you gaming 2 years ago?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I came back two years ago from a 10 year layoff. I too needed a new driver. I went with the 910 D3 but sounds like you do not want to pony up the money for that. At the time of making my decision...a close second was the Adams F11. Can be had for cheap now and are a great club.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Thanks guys for your help!  I was hitting a Titleist 907 D1 with the blue Aldila Proto VS stiff Shaft. That was old technology then...so I know it is OLD now.. The reason for the D1 and not the D2 was a friend had one and I hit it pretty good  BUT,  I have been one of those lower handi-caps that like the "game improvement" irons and drivers. I never got into the "player" clubs. I don't know why...Maybe cause I didn't like to work the ball. I would rather hit a straight ball.  I also like to give up a little in playability for forgiveness.  Just never got into the blades etc. Thanks everyone for your help.  My wife will probably kill me when she see's me buying golf stuff and not played in a while. I got into songwriting a little more and that has been my passion. Golf will never be what it once was. I played on the county teams etc. Played everyweekend and maybe one more time during the week.  I WISH I had that hunger back and don't know why I lost it.  I guess you only have time for one passion and songwriting is my passion right now..

Thanks Curt!

Note: This thread is 4463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!