IGNORED

Best Single Tip for New Golfer at Age 22

KiawahConnor
Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bilinguru

LOL @ this post.  I agree the discussion went off on a tangent, but it's funny you told the OP he wasn't good enough to worry about distance control or carry a full set of clubs.  He said he shoots 90.

I'm not saying that he might only be comfortable with 4 clubs - it was an oversight, I didn't see he was a 90 shooter.  If he's shooting 90, chances are his problems are strategic - short-siding himself, etc.  Here is a tip that helped me a lot:

When hitting an approach shot, your target should not be the flag.  If the flag is on the right, aim half way between the flag and the left side of the green (assuming there is no bog hazard on the left).  If you hit the shot how you intend it, you'll have a 15-20 footer for birdie.  If you push it a little, you'll be closer to the flag, if you pull it, chances are you'll have a chip with a lot of green to work with.  The worst thing you can do is take dead aim, push it into a short side bunker and now you're probably blasting out and having a 15-20 footer for par.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Best tip I ever received was go to college and get my degree.  I was a decent golfer in High School - but didn't really take it up as a full time sport until I was 13/14.  By the time I was 17 (graduating HS)... I didn't have nearly enough competitive rounds posted where I performed at a rate where I would gain interest from D1 schools.  So I focused on my education... Fast forward to today - some 16+yrs later and I have a solid job that helps pay for my golfing habit.

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

P.S. BugDude, every golfer is a feel golfer. I'm not getting into it here, but if you think I'm a "technical" instructor only then you don't know the first thing about how I teach.

This might be my biggest tip.  Starting out new, you'll get lessons, read books, watch youtube videos, browse instruction stuff here, and there will be a million mechanical things (including grip, setup, pre-swing stuff, and actual mechanics of the swing) to "fix" as you progress.  But never forget golf is a game of feel.  Like any sport, to play it well, you can't be trying to create positions with your body as you go, so actually on the course, it's a game of feel.

Don't forget that as you're learning that when you try new things, I think the most important thing is to really try to get a good sense of what your body feels like when you make a good swing.  And I don't mean, it felt good cause I hit a good shot.  Sense what your hands and wrists feel like, what your shoulders feel like, what your core and hips feel like, what it feels like to coil and then unleash the coil, what if feels like to stay on plane, and what if feels like to get the club face square at impact.

That and swing smooth.  You can swing with an athletic and powerful move, but if you snap or rush or tense up or try to muscle it, you'll not only be much much less consistent, you'll also hit the ball shorter.

• Upvote 2

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, don't be a robot!...be athletic.  A lot of what you read and watch on youtube will tell you that you need to be in certain positions etc..  But everyone's body is different and some people can't get to those exact positions....flexibility, body size, or maybe an injury suffered can prevent certain motions. So listen to what mdl had to say and and feel they way you body wants to move.  And REMEMBER how the good swings feel...FORGET the bad swings.  Just because the ball went straight doesn't mean it was a good swing...you will feel it when you accomplish this.  And STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH!  That is the only way your body will move how it is supposed to. Good luck!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

I'm not saying that he might only be comfortable with 4 clubs - it was an oversight, I didn't see he was a 90 shooter.  If he's shooting 90, chances are his problems are strategic - short-siding himself, etc.  Here is a tip that helped me a lot:

When hitting an approach shot, your target should not be the flag.  If the flag is on the right, aim half way between the flag and the left side of the green (assuming there is no bog hazard on the left).  If you hit the shot how you intend it, you'll have a 15-20 footer for birdie.  If you push it a little, you'll be closer to the flag, if you pull it, chances are you'll have a chip with a lot of green to work with.  The worst thing you can do is take dead aim, push it into a short side bunker and now you're probably blasting out and having a 15-20 footer for par.

I appreciate all the arguments and discussions. Im not looking for a "magical" tip to "transform" my game immediately, I was just trying to hear some tips matbe somebody's great grandfather or club pro told them in passing or something. It got kinda intense. Sorry I haven't replied to many posts, I have been busy with my classes and work. thanks again though.

I didnt mean to quote your comment. i meant to quote the guy who said i didnt need to worry about distance control, which doesnt make sense. I hit good shots, with consistent distances with each club, but I 3 putt.

Originally Posted by uttexas

You've found thesandtrap which is the best source of information regarding the golf swing. My best tip would be to now read the instruction articles by mvmac, iacas, and others.

Do this. I've never had a lesson (that did any good) and have improved my swing by leaps and bounds with the tips these guys give. Read all the tips in the Swing Thoughts sub-forum and you'll be off to a good start.

Best advice I have...get a lesson and do it early. That way you can learn good habits instead of engraining bad ones. I know your young and they seem expensive. But if you think about it, they usually cost about the same as 3 rounds of golf. Add to that the fact that range balls are usually included and I think it's the best deal in golf. Or you could do like me and try to buy all the best equipment for a couple years before you realize that lesson are the way to go haha.

Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!