IGNORED

-1/2" for irons...same for driver, woods and hybrids?

Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought my Ping G15 irons a couple months ago and was fitted for them to be cut -1/2". A buddy of mine who has the same build as I do was fitted for EVERYTHING in his bag and they had him cut his irons down -1/2" and his driver an inch. I know I should be fitted for the driver as well but IN GENERAL since my irons are cut down does that mean my driver should be cut as well? Anyone have any similar experiences with their fitting?

I'm -1/2" on my irons also. Last summer, I got a new 3-Wood and had it set as -1/2" also -- and I hit that one better than the rest of my woods with a full grip (I take an AK grip on my other woods normally). Before too long, I'm going to either cut 1/2" off of my other woods (I bought them all off-the-shelf) or get new ones (also 1/2" under). For the driver in particular, I'm going to go to 44.5" or 45". My swing speed is increasing, and quite frankly, I feel the extra shaft length sacrifices center hit too often.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was fitted for my irons, I also tested some Ping irons and they recommended 1/2" shorter.  I opted for TM irons which are 1/4" longer than Pings and therefore had them shortened 3/4".

I play a Razr Fit driver at 44"

Burner 2.0 7w at 42.75" but thinking of getting it shortened an inch to 41.75" which is more in line with normal 7w length.

Looking hard at the Hireko Power Play Caiman Raw Power 3w which is built specifically to play at a 5w length of 42".

I am currently gaming a Giga Golf 3hybrid (21*) which is 38.5" (this is normally about 2" shorter than most 3 hybrids) and I love it.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

It's a cruel joke. We have to cut off that unneeded length they added because a machine can get added distance with it.

According to Maltby that 1/2" on the irons can be compensated for by adjusting the lie.

Chopping a wood or driver down requires adding weight to the head to get the swing weight back.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Well cutting 1/2 inch half an inch of an iron will cause ain increase in the lie of about 0.75 degrees, so your club will become more upright.

If you just got the lengths checked, i would go and make sure the lie is right as well. Ping's iron fitting chart goes in intervals of 0.75 degrees on there lie changes. So if you had ping black dots, standard, went -0.25 inches, you now made your clubs ping blue dot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Well cutting 1/2 inch half an inch of an iron will cause ain increase in the lie of about 0.75 degrees, so your club will become more upright.

If you just got the lengths checked, i would go and make sure the lie is right as well. Ping's iron fitting chart goes in intervals of 0.75 degrees on there lie changes. So if you had ping black dots, standard, went -0.25 inches, you now made your clubs ping blue dot.

I think you have that backwards. Cutting down the club will make the lie flatter. It's easier to think in terms of lengthening, if you add to the length the toe comes more off the floor.

David

Originally Posted by dmnoland

I think you have that backwards. Cutting down the club will make the lie flatter. It's easier to think in terms of lengthening, if you add to the length the toe comes more off the floor.

I'm confused ... the lie of the club is an angle relationship between the clubhead and the shaft, is it not?  If so, shortening or lengthening the club will not change the lie at all.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmnoland

I'm confused ... the lie of the club is an angle relationship between the clubhead and the shaft, is it not?  If so, shortening or lengthening the club will not change the lie at all.

That's the point I think. The lie angle of the club doesn't change, but you'll be addressing the ball from closer or further away and that changes the lie angle that you need the club to be. My irons seemed too flat until they were lengthened and now they're perfect. My lengthened wedges on the other hand needed to be bent flatter. Or maybe I did that backwards and it's the reason I still don't have a hole in one : (

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That's the point I think. The lie angle of the club doesn't change, but you'll be addressing the ball from closer or further away and that changes the lie angle that you need the club to be. My irons seemed too flat until they were lengthened and now they're perfect. My lengthened wedges on the other hand needed to be bent flatter. Or maybe I did that backwards and it's the reason I still don't have a hole in one : (

Exactly.  OP was fitted for irons to be -1/2".  Hopefully, it was a dynamic fitting (and the fitter just didn't measure his height and hand to ground distance) and he checked lie angle as well.  Therefore his lie angle should be fine.

I don't know the answer to the original question, but I've made the same assumptions for myself.  Got fitted for driver at 1.5* upright, and set my 3 wood and hybrid at same 1.5* to match.

Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!