Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cape cod beachfront golfer

Golfer's Elbow.... help?

4 posts in this topic

I finished last season (Dec) with a serious case of golfer's elbow... right arm. After 4 months off I felt I would start the season fresh. BUT after just 2 rounds I can already begin to fell the tightness returning. This year I plan on using an "aircast" strap. Last year's neoprene strap helped but didn't prevent the tightness returning by round's end.

I need some suggestions & advice....

First, Why after 20 years of golf am I suddenly suffering from this....

I did change a few grips (went firmer) but find it hard to believe that is the cause?

What should I look for in my swing that might suggest what I am doing wrong ????

Am I somehow twisting my right arm incorrectly?  Bad grip???  Old age, I'm 62...

Second, because this is so early in my golf season (Upstate NY)  I am very concerned if I do not attack it aggressively I could end up losing a major part of my season...

What are my options ?   What has worked for others???

Thanks.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by cape cod beachfront golfer

I finished last season (Dec) with a serious case of golfer's elbow... right arm. After 4 months off I felt I would start the season fresh. BUT after just 2 rounds I can already begin to fell the tightness returning. This year I plan on using an "aircast" strap. Last year's neoprene strap helped but didn't prevent the tightness returning by round's end.

I need some suggestions & advice....

I did change a few grips (went firmer) but find it hard to believe that is the cause?

What should I look for in my swing that might suggest what I am doing wrong ????

Am I somehow twisting my right arm incorrectly?  Bad grip???  Old age, I'm 62...

Second, because this is so early in my golf season (Upstate NY)  I am very concerned if I do not attack it aggressively I could end up losing a major part of my season...

What are my options ?   What has worked for others???

Thanks.

It's normally a tight grip at impact, through the hitting area that causes this, on a scale from one to ten, try to get your grip down to 0.5. Many golfers have a soft grip at address but don't realise that they tighten considerably at impact.

Originally Posted by cape cod beachfront golfer

After 4 months off I felt I would start the season fresh. BUT after just 2 rounds I can already begin to feel the tightness returning...

Bad grip???  Old age, I'm 62...

What are my options ?

OK maybe its the mat mixed with a tight grip. I agree that hard mats cause problems but usually more to the joints: wrists, shoulders and elbows. I always place my ball on a rubber tee popping out about 1/4" above the mat, this allows me to hit the mat lighter. The mat is like a hard pan lie and the tee is like the soft grass above the harder ground.

I can get golfer's elbow when I stretch too much with my electric hedge clippers and I'm not hitting anything. The injury comes from a tight grip and outstretched arm.

If you want to continue practising and playing - which you seem to enjoy - I suggest you try both of these remedies above. The curative exercises are good but they don't get rid of your problem.

Try this...

It is important that at first you ignore shot results with this drill. On the range take a few swings without the ball and before swinging, on a scale from 1 to 5 rate your grip firmness. Does it remain constant throughout the swing or is it tightening anywhere. When is it tightening? Can you get to a stage where you can carry out a practice swing without tightening throughout the movement. Attempt to achieve the softest grip you can without losing control - I rate mine at 0.5 on this scale, in other words much lighter than you could probably imagine.

Now do the same awareness exercise hitting balls.

Best of luck!