IGNORED

Brand New Garmin Approach S3 Watch

Note: This thread is 4453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/03/garmin-approach-s3-golf-watch/

I think it looks fantastic, and now it has layups and distance to doglegs!

Looks like I know what I'm requesting for my birthday. I'm really looking forward to reviews from some of you early adopters.

My Bag

RAZR Fit Tour Authentic 10.5 R Flex

RBZ 3-Wood 15.5 R Flex

Diablo Edge R Flex Graphite 3H, 4H, 5H, 9-PW, AW, SW, LW

White Ice Sabertooth 2 33" 

Rough price seems to be ~$350 for you guys in the US. That normally translates directly for us in the UK (for some reason we ignore the exchange rate and just use the same figure on most products) so for me it's a very expensive toy.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

:-O wow that's an expensive watch! Ok well I'd still love to have too bad I'll never be able to buy a watch like that. Especially when I already use a gps app on my phone

This watch looks great - it is expensive though - the thing is I know that other companies are going to come out with a bunch of these watches over the next year probably.  So if I am patient better versions will probably be on the way.  For example, I've read reviews that say the battery life on this is only enough to get through one round of 18 holes - so battery life may be an issue.  I know I waited on buying a gps device when they were the rage and instead got golfshot for my smartphone which i love and was way cheaper.

Driver: '09 Burner
3Wood: Burner
Hybrids: 3 hybrid and Austads Pickle 26 degree
Irons: Rac os2 PW-4
Wedges: Vokey 48, 52 and 56 degreePutter: RossaBag: Sasquatch TourPushcart: 2.0Ball: Prov1 GPS: freecaddie software running on cellphone

Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest. After doing a little more interest, I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/MOTOACTV-Fitness-Tracker-Music-Player/dp/B005Q3144W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Got it for $180 and got a free watch strap to boot.

With a firmware upgrade, it can do everything the Garmin can and more. In fact, with the free firmware upgrade, they're somehow selling it as a more expensive version of the same watch: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-89573N-MOTOACTV-Golf-Edition/dp/B007KTQU5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1334274753&sr;=1-1

I've called and written to Motorola several times and was reassured that the only difference between the golf edition and the regular editions (besides storage space) was the free software update.

I've used it on the course twice now and it blows my Golfshot/iPhone combo out of the water in terms of convenience (no more phone in my pocket feeling). The yardages were very accurate, and once I figured out how to use shot tracking, I was able to get very detailed information on the Motorola website including shot distance and what club I used. Snapshot is below, and yes, I know I spray all over the course as I am a +100 player. The map can be zoomed in a lot closer as it is based on Google Maps and I can actually remember how each of my shots played. As of now, it doesn't average out club distances but I guess I could do that with Excel given a little more data.

I am very happy with my purchase and just wanted to send along my impressions in case any one was on the fence.

1.tiff .

My Bag

RBZ 3-Wood 15.5 R Flex

I received the Garmin S1 approach golf watch as a favor for a playing in a charity outing last summer. Highly recommend...provides distance to front / middle / back of green. Battery life is good....on  a full charge (without using the shot tracker feature) I'm able to squeeze in 36 holes of coverage. I don't play golf with a watch on, but keeping S1 latched to my bag or in the cart is very convenient.

The new version (S3?) looks like they've added features for lay-up distances, etc. Curious to see how the early reviews come in on the new model.....

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

This watch looks great - it is expensive though - the thing is I know that other companies are going to come out with a bunch of these watches over the next year probably.  So if I am patient better versions will probably be on the way.  For example, I've read reviews that say the battery life on this is only enough to get through one round of 18 holes - so battery life may be an issue.  I know I waited on buying a gps device when they were the rage and instead got golfshot for my smartphone which i love and was way cheaper.

I agree the S3 is a little pricey. But my issue is I love using Golfshot on my iPhone, but it isn't USGA approved given it is a smartphone. So Golfshot is out for tournament use. In the past I've used a laser range finder but my hands shake. And with me getting ready to play in a few SCGA tournaments this summer. Im interested in getting a GPS watch. The S3 looks nice. But I may go with the Motorola based on positive reviews and the lower price point.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Beachcomber,

I just ran across this review for the MotoACTV:

http://www.hookedongolfblog.com/2012/04/20/review-motoactv-golf-gps-golf-scorekeeper-music-player-fitness-tracker

I definitely agree with some of the issues brought up--I don't completely understand how the score is calculated, installation on my Mac was similarly cryptic, and it is a chore to have to click a button each time you hit to track your shots (rather than every shot AFTER the tee shot). The watch strap doesn't bother me as much as the reviewer, and I do sympathize with the poor syntax/casing of some golf courses (my home course: "_____ GC- GOLO" .... what the heck is GOLO?)

I have full confidence that some of these bugs will be worked out after seeing how active their community is (example: look at their reviews on Amazon.com. They have a member of their staff respond to each and every review whether positive or negative). Hopefully it will be the perfect golf companion with a few software updates.

• Upvote 1

My Bag

RBZ 3-Wood 15.5 R Flex

Hi Sliceshowbob.  Thanks for the response.  It looks like from the reviews of the Motorola product - there are some annoying bugs.   I may wait until some of these are addressed before buying it?  I'm kind of on the fence as I don't know if Motorola will actually address the issues or not?  I've seen them jump into different consumer grade electronics products in the past - and then not really support them with firmware upgrades.

Also, I forgot to ask - how did you get yours for the price you reported (with a strap)?  That seems well below list/MSRP.  Was yours used?  Did you get it off of Ebay or Craigslist or something?

Hi Beachcomber,

I didn't get it used. There was a brief promotion to get a free wrist strap with a brand new 8 GB MotoActv and there was a 1 day price drop to 180. I believe the free strap may still be available as I bought mine well after 3/31.

My Bag

RBZ 3-Wood 15.5 R Flex

It looks great and all, but... I am NOT a watch wearer while playing golf. Never did, and probably never will. It's actually the first thing I take off when I pull into the parking lot. The last thing I need is to be reminded of how slow the course is playing that day! Now, maybe if they developed a clip on for my hat that's kind of like the 'heads up' gunsight on the Apache Helicopter Gunship- then we'll talk.

Too expensive.  In my opinion, a touch screen on a  watch is kind of pointless.  However, Garmin has a great reputation for durability and accuracy.  But again....the watch is too expensive.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I think one of these Garmin watches may be right up my alley.  I cannot get into a comfortable rythym (if you will) playing with a regular gps.  I would not like to attach it to my body anywhere, that would be too cumbersome, and when its attached to my bag or in the golf cart, I sometimes forget to grab it as I'm going to my ball.  I've also almost left it behind a few times by leaving it on a tee box.  I think the same would be true for a laser rangefinder.

I have never worn a watch while golfing (heck I don't wear a watch ever) but I think that it makes a lot of sense.  Once I got used to wearing a watch (and the awesome tan I would get from it) it seems like it would be very practical and fast.

Do the Garmin watches require a monthly plan like the handheld GPS's, or are the courses all just loaded on there?  Based on the comments above, I think I'd be inclined to go for the S1.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Do the Garmin watches require a monthly plan like the handheld GPS's, or are the courses all just loaded on there?  Based on the comments above, I think I'd be inclined to go for the S1.

I have the S1...no monthly plan required - it automatically loads the course when you're on-site. Great device as long as you know what you're buying - simply a screen that gives you distances to the front, middle and back of the green.

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

I was seriously considering getting one of these GPS watches.  But this past weekend, I used the Leupold GX-3 range finder for the first time as a playing partner let me try it out... Wow.  The GX-3 was awesome in its ease of use, compact foot-print and accuracy.

In the past, I was never a fan of a rangefinder because the one I had was from 2003 and wasn't very easy to use.  But the technology has greatly improved since then!  So I'm going with the Leupold rangefinder over the Garmin or Moto GPS watch.

Note: This thread is 4453 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!