IGNORED

Irons Head Size

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Favorite Iron Size

• Average
    • Slightly Oversize
    • Jumbo Oversize
    • Smaller then average
    • Old school - smaller heads then modern.

It's more than just head size - what about head design?

GI and SGI clubs with cavity back and perimeter weighting tend to have "average" to larger heads.

Smaller to average heads tend to be in the Player's and GI categories. Smaller heads have encounter less turf resistance, and can cut through the rough better. But, it helps to have a better swing for the Player's clubs.

It's a matter of tradeoffs, how good your basic swing is, and how much time you have to work on your game. If you have a decent swing, you can hit a small-headed 6i out of the rough and go for the green. If your swing isn't so good, you may do better to hit a large-headed 8i that will pop you out of the rough, and leave you short with a 30-yard pitch shot into the green.

I made a bold move to X20 Tours last season (GI clubs shafted with benevolent PX 5.0 rifle flighted). On days I'm swinging decently, these clubs are great. On klunky days, I sometimes wish I still had the basic X20s.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

It's more than just head size - what about head design?

GI and SGI clubs with cavity back and perimeter weighting tend to have "average" to larger heads.

Smaller to average heads tend to be in the Player's and GI categories. Smaller heads have encounter less turf resistance, and can cut through the rough better. But, it helps to have a better swing for the Player's clubs.

It's a matter of tradeoffs, how good your basic swing is, and how much time you have to work on your game. If you have a decent swing, you can hit a small-headed 6i out of the rough and go for the green. If your swing isn't so good, you may do better to hit a large-headed 8i that will pop you out of the rough, and leave you short with a 30-yard pitch shot into the green.

I made a bold move to X20 Tours last season (GI clubs shafted with benevolent PX 5.0 rifle flighted). On days I'm swinging decently, these clubs are great. On klunky days, I sometimes wish I still had the basic X20s.

May I ask what the difference between the tour X20's and regular X20s are? as far as weighting and playability and workability ect.  I've never hit either and am looking for a X20 3 iron just not sure if I should get the tours or regulars.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by mosnas

May I ask what the difference between the tour X20's and regular X20s are? as far as weighting and playability and workability ect.  I've never hit either and am looking for a X20 3 iron just not sure if I should get the tours or regulars.

...my old sticks.   The X20 tours have less offset, and a standard hosel as opposed to the bore-through; the combination of those raises the overall center of gravity.  I believe the head size is also a touch smaller and the sole narrower on the Tour.  (also, the Tours had Project X shafts standard).  Net result is less forgiveness and lower launch, but a bit more workability.  However, the Tours in my experience were still quite forgiving--they're nowhere near being a blade, and if you believe in Maltby ratings, they still landed in the SGI category i believe.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Originally Posted by drglew

...my old sticks.   The X20 tours have less offset, and a standard hosel as opposed to the bore-through; the combination of those raises the overall center of gravity.  I believe the head size is also a touch smaller and the sole narrower on the Tour.  (also, the Tours had Project X shafts standard).  Net result is less forgiveness and lower launch, but a bit more workability.  However, the Tours in my experience were still quite forgiving--they're nowhere near being a blade, and if you believe in Maltby ratings, they still landed in the SGI category i believe.

Really the SGI? That seems crazy seeing how the Razr X tours have a much wider soul than even the regular X20's, I'd love to get my hands on a X20 3 iron but apparently they are hard to come buy.

Originally Posted by mosnas

I played the regular X20s in 2009 and 2010, and switched to X20 Tours in 2011. We'll start with drglew's very good analysis, and then I'll add some more info.

Originally Posted by drglew

In comparing the two models, I will use the original Maltby six-category MPF rating system. ( Golf Digest has a simpler variation which uses only three).

Model X20 X20 Tour
Stock shaft Uniflex PX, DG S300
Shaft insert Borethrough Standard hosel
Wedges available P, A, S, L PW only
PW loft 45* 46*
PW offset / bounce 0.200 / 7* 0.075" / 7*
PW length (steel) 35.25" 35.5"
5i loft 27* 27*
5i offset 0.250" / 2* 0.115" / 2.5*
5i length (steel) 37.75" 38"       Super GI
MFP category Ultra GI
MPF Score 1051 716
Vertical Center of Gravity .635 .712

When I got the X20s, I was swapping out of irons I had used for 14 years, and dumping Stiff shafts in favor or Regular. I tried the X20 Tours and really liked them, especially on feel:  I could tell on impact if I had a good, OK or poor shot. But, I didn't want "too much club" in changeover.

The X20 Uniflex shaft is midkick, and low-mid torque. Thus, despite the UGI head design, the short irons didn't hang up in the wind like the Big Berthas and Ping G10s I tried. X20 irons got the ball up decently, but large heads tended to hang up in the rough.

When I stumbled across some X20 Tours shafted in PX 5.0 rifle flighted on Callaway Pre-Owned, I took the gamble. With the flighted shafts, you get a little extra loft boost on the longer irons. I can actually hit the 3i again - normally for tight tee shots - due to the lift boost. Also, the shafts feel livelier than the Uniflex on the X20s. The two shafts are about the same on weight. The heads on the X20 Tours are about 1/4" narrower on the face than the X20s, have a thinner sole, and cut through the rough better. Plus, there's better feel.

I had the X20 Tours measured this spring, and the shafts are about a quarter-inch shorter than they are supposed to be. This may explain why I tend to hit the irons out toward the toe.

On the short irons, I seem to get better distance control with the X20 Tours.

The X20 Tours are quite manageable if you have a little time to work on your game. Lots of sets are available with PX 6.0 shaft versions, but you need pretty good clubhead speed to handle the PX Stiff flex.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I dont even know how stiff a 6.0 shaft is to be honest im pretty new to the whole customization but apparently my new clubs were fitted with 6.0 PX.  Anyways thanks very much for your assistnce after reading your review i think i might look for an x20 tour.

6.0 is betweem stiff and x-extra stiff

5.0  Reg

5.5 Stiff

6.5 Extra Stiff

Hope this helps

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

I'm finding a smaller head easier to hit. What say you?

Agree, 100%. As if my sig didn't imply that... ;-)

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

If you can hit them, small heads are the way to go.  More feel, more control, more workability.  Not to mention they are just prettier clubs.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!