IGNORED

titleist AP1 irons?

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

That's correct. However, if the clubs are ordered from Tileist as an incomplete set then every club will have a serial number,

Sets that have the serial number on the 6 iron only are off the shelf, std/std sets.  If the set has the serial number on all of the irons, then it was a custom order, not necessarily an incomplete set.  My irons were ordered with custom shafts, so each hosel has the same serial number.  It's a 3-PW set, so it is far from incomplete.

My set has the serial on the 6 iron from what I've read this is correct...well i bloody hope so

I had a set of the 710's that were standard, off the shelf set and they had the serial number on the 6 iron. I got fitted for the 712's, so a special order and each club is stamped with the serial number. Sounds perfectly fine.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 10 months later...

Titleist has successfully provided striking forgiveness and shot shaping. That is hard to come across these days.  I have the Burner 2.0 and IMHO they are nice playable clubs, however, it is hard to shape a shot. Titlest AP1 at least support a mid-handicapper and may be even more useful in a lower handicapper hands. So, an excellent transition iron IMHO. Why do I suggest the Titleist irons.. Read on if you care.

A bit more history.. The Burner 2.0's replaced my '1985' Wilson FG-17 blades - I purchased them used 1988.. A great set of irons, I played college golf with them and had fair success on entry level tours until the desire to eat regularly took over. In the coming years I used the heck out those irons so much so, I had them refinished twice.  My son who recently took over the business became tired of seeing them and decided that the wear on the sweet spot coupled with a most sincere suggestion from GolfSmith -  replaced the set.

No I am not cheap, I just liked my irons..well, I guess I am cheap and I did like my irons. After some getting used to the Burner 2.0's I found they were a nice set with ample feedback, average distance, high launch and very difficult to shape a shot.

Before the new irons my HCP was a bonified USGA 3, post the burners and with 131 rounds later my HCP is 11.  What I could do with blades was not possible with the Burners.  Enter Titlelist AP1.  I tried every iron out there or at least know to GolfSmith. The Titlest for me provided adequate shot shape and average feedback upon strikes. I have played 48 rounds with the Titleist and done quite a bit of comparative research with other golfers - young and old. Both mid and low HCP who have an opinion and the freedom to play whatever iron they prefer felt the Burners were a very nice club, but the Titleist were much better. My HCP in the 48 rounds is 6 and I believe at this point I will regain my former level.

I still maintain a rather high swing speed however, I opted for NS 950 GH R-Flex shafts to emulate the ball flight I wanted.  My 4 & PW irons are stiff shafts. For me it offers a good transition to my three wood and the ability to spin with my PW. I tried this setup with the burners with Ok results as well to be fair.  The balance of both irons is actually quite good, the feedback from the Titleist is a bit muted but acceptable.

Note: This thread is 4067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!