IGNORED

My Swing (Sandy Trap)

Sandy Trap
Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: This is my first year.

My current handicap index or average score is: Not sure, I am brand new.

My typical ball flight is: For my driver I typically have a nice draw.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: "Topping" the ball, or as I like to call them: "Grounders".  I also have a tendency to "hook" my Irons to the left.

The below video and still shots are my current (5/12/2012) driver swing.  In this clip I am using a "baseball" grip.  The club used is a TaylorMade Burner 2.0 with a Stiff shaft and a 10.5* face.  My swing speed in this video is probably around 110 (educated guess from the PGA instructor who was filming), but I have since toned it down a little bit and am probably closer to 105.  On this day my good drives were typically landing between 240-250 yards (the tree line in the video marks 250 and some balls did make it into the woods).

Note:  Several years ago I broke my lower right leg.  I currently still have a plate and ten screws in that back leg.  My point is that my back foot points outward more than normal at all times, and is not something that I can change without being very uncomfortable.

Thank you for taking the time to watch and I appreciate all input.

Videos:

driver-swing-5-12-12.png

Couple of good videos for you to check out.  Hands are too far apart on the grip causing some issues on the backswing.  With the motion of the swing I'd like to see the left shoulder work down longer.  The shoulders are turning too shallow, meaning on an angle that is close to parallel to the ground.  Turning the shoulders in a manner like the video below, keeps the head steady, which makes it easier to strike the ball consistently solid.

This grip video has some technical jargon.  Don't worry about that, just watch how he puts his hands on the club.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you have a face on view of your swing? The reason that you are hitting hooks is because all of your weight is shifting backwards on your downswing and thus causing your hands and arms to flip through impact which turns the clubface shut. If you are topping and missing the ball, it is because of being off balance, and in your case its because you are tilting so much backwards, as I said before. To fix that, feel as though you are hitting balls while sitting in a chair. It will get you out of that "humping" the ball effect. Look at frames 5 and 6 to see that.  But i would love to see a face on angle.

Just a note about my grip:  I know how to properly grip the club.  The video was taken during a lesson (the only lesson I have ever had).  The instructor made me use a baseball grip with my hands an inch apart.  This is so that I could feel a distinct difference between my left and right hands.  It helped my shot tremendously.  I have since kept the baseball grip but I moved my hands together.  Baby steps.

I will watch the second video today when I have a little more time.  Thanks!

Originally Posted by ProtoSports

Do you have a face on view of your swing? The reason that you are hitting hooks is because all of your weight is shifting backwards on your downswing and thus causing your hands and arms to flip through impact which turns the clubface shut. If you are topping and missing the ball, it is because of being off balance, and in your case its because you are tilting so much backwards, as I said before. To fix that, feel as though you are hitting balls while sitting in a chair. It will get you out of that "humping" the ball effect. Look at frames 5 and 6 to see that.  But i would love to see a face on angle.

I don't hit hooks with my driver.  I sometimes hook with my irons and hybrids.  My natural ball flight is a draw, so this can turn into a hook if I'm not careful and using a hybrid that is closed already.

The troubling part about getting advice is that everyone says something different.  I have my weight back because I am staying behind the ball.  My swing isn't as extreme for other clubs.  I "whip" the club much more with my driver to get the "whoosh" sound and keep my shoulders square to the ball on impact.

When I top balls it's from hitting off the floor.  I don't top them when hitting off the tee.

When I take a divot it's behind the ball, which I know is not correct.  I can't seem to take a divot in front of the ball even when I try to.

Staying behind the ball is much different than getting underneath the ball and hanging back. Every tour player stays behind the ball at impact but they still stay on top of the golf ball at impact. You want to keep your head behind the ball but you cannot get underneath it. Underneath is why you can't hit the ball off the ground. Yes everyone has there own opinion on what makes the swing work. I am a playing professional on the mini tours, so I have a good understanding of what does and doesn't work, as well as the many different opinions associated with swing mechanics.

Check out Rory in this video. You will see the difference...  He stays behind the ball but doesn't get underneath.

P.S. you need some better angles on your video, trust me, video is worthless unless it is set up properly. Angles alone make your swing look different every time.

ProtoSports:  You are very right, and thank you.  I worked a little bit with my instructor tonight and we talked about this.  I worked on basically not keeping all my weight on my back foot during impact and being a little more forward.  When I am topping the ball it's when I stay back like that.

I don't have any more angles right now.  When I get some more I will update.

If the head stays centered, then the head stays behind the ball.  No need to move it further back.  You're hitting it fat because the weight is too far back.  Feel like you're squashing a bug underneath your left foot on the downswing.  This will get the lower center. the hips/knees, further forward.  The low point of the swing has to be in front of the ball.  This link will help with the visual

http://thesandtrap.com/t/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!