IGNORED

iron maintenance

Note: This thread is 4326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by mpeck24

Im not hating on iron covers, but do you hit irons or your driver more often?  so youre taking your driver cover off maybe 15 times a round? how many times will you take off your iron covers? and for me, i plan on keeping my clubs for 5+ years, so im not worried about resale on a $400 set of irons.

It takes me 3 seconds to take off the cover, and 3 seconds to replace it. When I play with other people, when they grab en iron out of their bag, I can remove my iron in the same time.

Go ahead and ruin your irons, I didn't pay for them. Now my irons that I paid $1300 for, so there is a reason I care about them. End of story.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

This topic returns every 18 months. Best advice I heard came from a former college golfer. He put covers on his irons and a cover on his bag before the clubs were trucked or flown to a tournament site. At the site, he removed the covers for the entire stay. After the tournament, he gave his irons an extra-good cleaning, and then put the covers back on for the trip home.

He avoided using the covers during play - especially during humid weather - because he feared trapping moisture on the heads and creating rust.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

This topic returns every 18 months. Best advice I heard came from a former college golfer. He put covers on his irons and a cover on his bag before the clubs were trucked or flown to a tournament site. At the site, he removed the covers for the entire stay. After the tournament, he gave his irons an extra-good cleaning, and then put the covers back on for the trip home.

He avoided using the covers during play - especially during humid weather - because he feared trapping moisture on the heads and creating rust.

hmmm, interesting.

Personally I use headcovers when I travel (baggage handlers don't really care what's in your luggage, so I protect the clubs as best I can).  As for cleaning, I'll take 2 mins to scrub them in a bucket of warm water every couple of rounds or so.

But why so much drama about whether or not to use headcovers, or to clean clubs?  If you want to use them, use them.  If you don't, then don't. I don't see how what anyone else does to their clubs affects me in any way... unless I'm playing them for money and it's something against the rules of the game.  If you want clean clubs, then clean them!  If you don't care, then don't care!

The whole issue seems to be me not wanting iron covers, and i think the guy who suggested them felt he got disrespected by me by saying i didnt see the point.  Ive played my clubs 4 rounds, and washed twice. more than good enough for me.

Originally Posted by tefunk

Personally I use headcovers when I travel (baggage handlers don't really care what's in your luggage, so I protect the clubs as best I can).  As for cleaning, I'll take 2 mins to scrub them in a bucket of warm water every couple of rounds or so.

But why so much drama about whether or not to use headcovers, or to clean clubs?  If you want to use them, use them.  If you don't, then don't. I don't see how what anyone else does to their clubs affects me in any way... unless I'm playing them for money and it's something against the rules of the game.  If you want clean clubs, then clean them!  If you don't care, then don't care!

The point I was personally making is that irons wiped down with a damp towel after each shot don't need to be washed in hot soapy water after ever round. If someone looks forward to that, then good for them, but I prefer to spend my time golfing rather than washing my golf equipment.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well Shawn, if you were just trying to make a friendly point from your perspective, then what was with the "LOL", and "driving cross country on a dirt bike", and "clubs made of waterford crystal" comments all about.  Sounds a lot like drama to me...

I guess I'd just expect a forum leader to be able to add something a little more constructive to the forum.

Well Shawn, if you were just trying to make a friendly point from your perspective, then what was with the "LOL", and "driving cross country on a dirt bike", and "clubs made of waterford crystal" comments all about.  Sounds a lot like drama to me...

I guess I'd just expect a forum leader to be able to add something a little more constructive to the forum.

golf clap. Well said. Looks like he won't be getting any reputation votes from us!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Pretend not to care enough to spell a 4 letter name properly is you must, but I thought the dude posting the link was actually joking. The mostly likely contribution from a "forum leader" is to call someone on bullshit.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have a wet towel with me on the course.  I wipe em down after a shot...that's all.

Once a year they get new grips.  Ocassionaly I use a brush while I'm playing to clean the grooves on my wedges, but usually the moist towel is enough.

When I get home I slather them in wd40.....just kidding.  See above.  I have a few chatter marks after a couple of years, but that's ok with me.  I don't play standard lie and length so most likely not selling on ebay or buying there in the future.  If I was I would still just do as above, honestly it's all most pro caddies do as well.

I use a towel and brush on course as well as covers ALL of the time.  take the cover off, hit the shot, towel and brush, and cover goes back on.....I've only ever gotten crap for it one time until the guy saw what clubs I play (Miura baby blades)......then he said if he had my gear he would think about using them too.  the set of blades I had before these didnt have covers and got a ton of nicks from the topline of the club going back into the bag hitting the sole of another club in the bag......they looked a beaten after a year and a half, and I'm not doing that to the Miuras

Driver: Adams 9064ld 6.5* w/ Oban Devotion 7 .... 281 cpm at 44"
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge xcg 4 3 wood w/ rapport blue velvet shaft

hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics cg4 17* 2 hybrid
Irons: Miura series 1957 "baby blades" w/ KBS tour shafts
Wedges: Miura: 52* wedge, 56* K grind, 59* Y grind
Putter: taylormade white smoke 35"

I've never used soap on the heads, just a quick brush with a stiff nylon brush in a pan of water and wipe with a towel and the dirt is gone.  The only time I use dish soap is with a brush on the grips about every 20 rounds.

Note: This thread is 4326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!