IGNORED

Kapanda's golfing disasters

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

he means if you cant keep up with the pace of play then pick up your ball. Im sure you have read some of the posts on here about hating slow play. If youre in a group and and you stop seeing the group ahead of you then there is a problem and start picking the ball up and being considerate of others. But i say as long as when you pull up to the next tee if its even a question that you might hit them then you're doing alright. and the first round is always really tough but so is the 2nd and 3rd and 4th and even your 100th will probably be just as frustrating. Even when you get better you have higher standards for yourself and it will be displeasing. Id say hold on to that scorecard for one day when your bummed you hit your 3rd bogie in a row. :) and there is no better advice then clean contact is where its at. A nicely swung club at a decent speed will do the trick. Just play with some old guys and watch them destroy you with 150 yard drives or a 5 iron for 100 yards and so on.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

This really gives me confidence to get out there. I haven't played my first round yet, just been focusing on making good contact with the clubs and balls. I also like to observe people hitting.

So hopefully I can get out there soon.

Nike SQ Machspeed STR8 FIT Driver

Nike Ignite irons 3H-PW

Nike OZ Putter

I just played my first round yesterday as well, and we should pair up cause I hit a 128 on a par 72.  Haha.

It was brutal noodles, but I definitely had a good time.  I'd say 50% of my shots are shanks (45 degrees off straight), 30% are alright, and 20% pretty good.  I parred (spell check) a par 4 and pulled in a couple bogeys.

What really killed me was the +5s and +6s that would occur.  I'd shank a drive into the lake, re-tee and hit mediocre, mess up with my 3 iron, short my sand wedge, and so on.

Like you fellows preach, it's about having fun and getting better, so my plan is to get back to the driving range to try and gather a little more consistency in my swing.  I can't wait to get back out there.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I like how everyone is getting confidence out of this thread.

"I'll probably suck, but I can't suck THIS bad!!"

Glad to be of service!

I cannot lie; I was certainly happy to read this thread after the stank I left on the golf course yesterday.

Kapanada... go pick up Extraordinary Golf.  It is a quick read book and it will prepare you to enjoy the course and to "get out of your own head."  Golf is hard, and you are out in the sunshine walking around on (hopefully) a beautiful area of grass and trees.  Enjoy it, the scores will come later.

I think it's more that you're helping with the nerves for other players like myself.

I'm not gaining confidence because you did bad, but because you had the strength to go out and do bad and tell us about it.

• Upvote 1

Nike SQ Machspeed STR8 FIT Driver

Nike Ignite irons 3H-PW

Nike OZ Putter

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

Kapanada... go pick up Extraordinary Golf.  It is a quick read book and it will prepare you to enjoy the course and to "get out of your own head."  Golf is hard, and you are out in the sunshine walking around on (hopefully) a beautiful area of grass and trees.  Enjoy it, the scores will come later.

Adding that to my wish list. First picking up Ben Hogan's book though. Everyone here seems to rave about it.

Thanks!

I did enjoy it though! It's a curiously frustrating yet addictive game.

Originally Posted by pculotta4

"The answer is in the dirt." - Hogan

Only golf quote I know, and I abuse it.

Hitting balls without a purpose is called exercise -- not practice.

The answer may well lie in a lesson and video of your swing so that you know what to do in the dirt.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Hitting balls without a purpose is called exercise -- not practice.

The answer may well lie in a lesson and video of your swing so that you know what to do in the dirt.

Agree with this.  I've been playing and practicing tons over the course of the past 3 years.  Only about 8 weeks ago did I start showing actual, steady, and consistent improvement.  It's because after a couple lessons 8 months ago, I understood a LITTLE better what I was supposed to do.  But it took me weeks and weeks of practice about 3 months ago to actually start doing those things properly WHILE PRACTICING.

I was practicing the wrong way for months before-hand.  It was quite frustrating, but if I would have posted more videos or something I wouldn't have had to figure all of those things out on my own based entirely on feel and the way the ball left the club face.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 3 weeks later...

So, had my second outing last Sunday, this time I played a full round.

Here's the score

Sun 10 Jun 2012 rtd.jpg

Yep, it's another ugly one.

First 9 holes I played with friends, drinking beer, having them get on my nerves and all that. I don't like that. I don't ever get to actually concentrate. Last two holes of the back 9 I played with some other dude I befriended at the clubhouse. Not saying that I'm shit because other people make me shit at all, I'm just flat out crappy at golf, but I definitely prefer to play on my own. I appreciate my surroundings more, I feel better, I get to really get into a sort of rythm. I think that when I play with others, I feel a little pressure to hurry up and to impress them. Neither is necessary or healthy, but it's my most rational assessment of myself.

Some highlights though, I made regulation on 14, chipped in for par on 15 (which got my hyped), had a great drive the hole on 16 but just could not chip it onto the green properly, or putt in the slightest. There were a lot of 4 and 5 putts out there. That's just gross!!

By the way, iacas, could you change the name of the thread to "Kapanda's golfing disasters"? I'm probably going to update it regularly (most likely on Fridays), and that name just seems fitting!

Really want to emphasise though, golfing on my own felt soo much better than with my friends. It was the sort of experience you hold onto for quite a while, because it just feels so special!

It's a humbling experience for me in particular, because I never imagined I'd be golfing in DC, even last year. And both golfing and being in DC are just such joyful, exciting experiences to me, that really being able to soak it in felt really.. special, I don't know how else to put it.

My parents, my mom in particular, has sacrificed a lot for me to be here at this point in life. And so did their parents sacrifice a lot for them to be able to give their kids these sorts of experiences. I mean, golf is not the pinnacle of my life, but it's a great portrayal of my family's struggles and upward trajectory.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

So, had my second outing last Sunday, this time I played a full round.

Here's the score

Yep, it's another ugly one.

First 9 holes I played with friends, drinking beer, having them get on my nerves and all that. I don't like that. I don't ever get to actually concentrate. Last two holes of the back 9 I played with some other dude I befriended at the clubhouse. Not saying that I'm shit because other people make me shit at all, I'm just flat out crappy at golf, but I definitely prefer to play on my own. I appreciate my surroundings more, I feel better, I get to really get into a sort of rythm. I think that when I play with others, I feel a little pressure to hurry up and to impress them. Neither is necessary or healthy, but it's my most rational assessment of myself.

Some highlights though, I made regulation on 14, chipped in for par on 15 (which got my hyped), had a great drive the hole on 16 but just could not chip it onto the green properly, or putt in the slightest. There were a lot of 4 and 5 putts out there. That's just gross!!

By the way, iacas, could you change the name of the thread to "Kapanda's golfing disasters"? I'm probably going to update it regularly (most likely on Fridays), and that name just seems fitting!

Id be interested in how many putts it takes you? putting is difficult but simple and may take off alot of strokes real fast if your 4 and 5 putting. Dont try and get the ball in from a far distance. Try and get the ball within a 2 foot range where its an easy tap in.Trying to put the ball straight in the hole may make you over hit the ball. Im also sure you have heard it plenty of times but chipping is huge. count how many strokes it may take you to get from 20 yards out to the green. I always tell my self not to be afraid of really hitting the ball but at the same time make sure you stay down on it because thin shots are deadly. I had scores similar to this for about 6 months till I started practicing chipping and putting about 4 days a week.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by inthehole

simple fact that you're here indicates you're more serious about golf than most ... you will improve - it's a game of repitition.     My advice is simply this - shorten up your backswing (don't take the club way up over your head like the pro's do - keep your hands below your shoulders on the back swing) & take a nice easy controlled swing.   resist the temptation to kill it - solid contact is where it's at.

Took your advice, lost a teeny bit of distance, gained a whole lot in consistency and control!

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Id be interested in how many putts it takes you? putting is difficult but simple and may take off alot of strokes real fast if your 4 and 5 putting. Dont try and get the ball in from a far distance. Try and get the ball within a 2 foot range where its an easy tap in.Trying to put the ball straight in the hole may make you over hit the ball. Im also sure you have heard it plenty of times but chipping is huge. count how many strokes it may take you to get from 20 yards out to the green. I always tell my self not to be afraid of really hitting the ball but at the same time make sure you stay down on it because thin shots are deadly. I had scores similar to this for about 6 months till I started practicing chipping and putting about 4 days a week.

Ooff! Would struggle to practice putting and chipping 4 days a week right now. I only get to golf on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday.

I also will try from now on to get a round of golf in every Sunday, because my stuff off the range mats is not so exceptionally bad, but I thin a lot on the course. It's an easy course, but it seems to me like I'm not well adjusted to the grass on the course much. That says nothing about putting, of course. On that, I will def be practicing every Saturday, range and putting green.

Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!