IGNORED

Callaway Razr X or Ping G15 or Mizuno JPX 800 ?

Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I play golf 5-6 times a year. Best score 84, worst, you don’t want to know. I usually play around 100, but not a 100 with 9 bogeys and 9 double bogeys. More a 100 with birdies, pars, and… triple bogeys. Main problem: consistency.  Will hit one drive super straight, 280yards; Next one will be deep in the woods.  Will hit a perfect 8 iron shot, super high, about 150 yds, with nice backspin; Next hit will be in the water. I love some of my shots that looks like the ones on TV, and hate so much the other ones (this is also a reflection of my relation with golf: love and hate!)

I now have old Fairway irons (4-PW, missing no. 9 !) (you probably don’t even know this brand!), a new Adams hybrid 3 with stiff shaft (love it!) and a Taylormade Burner 09 driver with stiff shaft (I don’t like it, shaft is too long).

Regular good hits: Driver: 275-80 yds.  Hybrid 3:  220-30 yds   5 iron : 175-80yds  8 iron: 150yds  PW: 125yds

So here is finally my question:  I want to get a decent iron set, what would you suggest: Ping G15, Callaway Razr X or  Mizuno JPX 800?  I will go with steel shaft.

Im 5’9’’, 170 lbs.

Thanks very much for your advices and feedbacks.

Matchupo

...Not the G15! After trying these 3, I at least rapidly eliminated the G15. I really liked the JPX 800 and the Razr X. Now I dont know which one to choose! I think I prefered the JPX 800. If anyone has positive or negative feedback about these two iron sets please let me know!

I went for my first fitting today and purchased a new set of Mizuno JPX 800s! I really liked the way they looked and felt.  I use to play with Ping G10s and find the look and feel of the JPX 800s to be much better.

I tried quite a few clubs and actually had it narrowed down to the JPX 800s and Razr X's.  In the end I was getting a better results with the JPX 800s and liked the way they looked and felt a little better.  I don't think you could really go wrong with either though! I will be getting my set in a little over a week so I will let you know more after I get to play with them if you are still deciding!

Originally Posted by Matchupo

Hi,

I play golf 5-6 times a year. Best score 84, worst, you don’t want to know. ...  Main problem: consistency. ...   Will hit a perfect 8 iron shot, super high, about 150 yds, with nice backspin; Next hit will be in the water. ...

It's going to be hard to fit you to irons if your swing is so inconsistent. Best you could a this stage is get a static fitting - make sure shafts are not too long or short, that you have proper lie angle (you don't always catch toe or heel when you swing), proper shaft flex and grip thickness.

If you play six times a year, consistency won't be coming anytime soon.

I got fitted for a set of Razr X - got the ball up with a nice, effortless swing; but have kept my older irons so far. (I'm taking lessons to improve consistency, will wait until later to decide on irons). JPX tested out well. For either one, make sure you get the right shaft (looks like Stiff of some sort).

If Pings were still in play, I would suggest you try the G20 rather than G15.

Are you taking any lessons, or planning on playing more often in future?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked up a set of the JPX800s about a month back and love them.  I got a set with the Nippon 950 shafts which are pretty lightweight.  I am coming from a mixed set of TM TP MC/MB because I needed more forgiveness.  While I do miss the feeling of a forged iron, I dont miss only getting that feeling on 1 out of 10 shots.  If you mishit the 800s, there is not much of a penalty distance wise.  These irons launch high and go pretty far even though the lofts are pretty jacked up (44 PW).  I tried out the RazrX irons but they just felt too heavy for me.  I prefer a lighter clubhead and a lighter overall weight.  The weight of the Razr's just threw me off balance too much on the backswing.  I also tried the G15s.  I really wanted to like them but the huge sole just put me off.  Because of the way they looked, I couldnt put a confident swing on with them.

Overall, I am very happy with the 800s.  Good balance, nice feel, and the head definitely doesnt look like an SGI iron.  The topline is on the thicker side but I think it just looks big to me because I am comparing them with my old irons.  I like what they did with the sole grind as well.  It has a larger sole to help get the ball in the air but it really looks a lot thinner than it really is due to the different grind that they use.

That being said, since you are going to be investing a good amount of money in your next set, try and get out to a store where you can try out all of the different ones.  You may find out that you play best with an iron set that you never initially considered.  This is the perfect time to invest $100 or so to get fitted as well.  That way you know that it is your swing that is causing errant shots and not your ill fitted equipment.

Currently in the Grom: Driver: Ping G15 13.5;  Woods: Adams XTD 5W 18.5, TM R11 7w 22; Hybrids: Cleveland Mashie M4 and M5; Irons: Mizuno JPX800 w/Nippon NSPro950 S;  Wedges: CG16 48* CG15 52* CG15DSG 56*;  Putter: Rife 2bar hybrid mallet Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome

Great purchase.  You won't regret it.  I bought my JPX800s about 9 months ago and they have helped my game enormously.  Very forgiving and they feel great.  I was struggling to break 90 last season but this year my average score is 85 and I just shot an 80 on Sunday.  GIRs are up 10 percent as well.  I doubt I'll ever play anything other than Mizuno irons.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

...or Titleist AP1 ?

Thanks for your great feedbacks regarding the JPX 800.

They lead the race right now, after having compared them to the Razr X and the G15.  I will go back friday to compare JPX800 again to the Razr X, and to the AP1.

I currently have Ping G5 irons and really like them, I would suggest going to the golf store and hitting all of them and choose what's right for you.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

...just eliminated the Razr X. Now its between the AP1 and the JPX. Why in my life I always prefer the most expensive things??? I predict a victory of the JPX.

don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I play 712 AP1's and they are excellent. Mizuno is obviously best known for their excellent irons - great clubs. I also tried the G15's and they were not in the race long - too chunky. Good luck - 2 great clubs to choose from.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I went for my first fitting today and purchased a new set of Mizuno JPX 800s! I really liked the way they looked and felt.  I use to play with Ping G10s and find the look and feel of the JPX 800s to be much better.

I tried quite a few clubs and actually had it narrowed down to the JPX 800s and Razr X's.  In the end I was getting a better results with the JPX 800s and liked the way they looked and felt a little better.  I don't think you could really go wrong with either though! I will be getting my set in a little over a week so I will let you know more after I get to play with them if you are still deciding!

Did you have the chance to try your JPX 800s?

Did you consider the JPX800HD's?

Reason I ask is I have averaged 91 per round over the past 2 years.  82 being my best score, a few 80's mixed in and 2 rounds in the 100's.  So low 90's is pretty much my score depending on how I putt.

Anyway, I began playing the JPX800 HD's last month.  Very nice looking club, and not as chunky as most SGI clubs.  Also the Fli-Hi 4 and 5 direct iron replacement is a pretty cool idea.  Basically a smaller-ish hybrid head similar in shape to the Ping G15 hybrid, and the length is the same as a normal 4 and 5i and not overly long like most hybrids.

At your current score level I'd consider them over the regular 800's.  I think of the 800HD's as more of a 15+ capper club, the regular 800's a 10-15 capper club and under a 10 cap the JPX800 Pro's.

Not that you couldn't lesson up and swing improve into the normal 800's but if you don't have the time and money for lessons like me the 800HD's were a nice addition to my bag.

By the way, the other clubs in my search were the Ping G15's, Adams Redline, Adam A12OS and the 800HD's won out.

My previous irons were Burner Plus and Wilson Di11's.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Got a chance to take the JPX 800s to the driving range today.  I like them even better than when I was hitting them on the launch monitor! I was getting better ball flight and was able to get it up into the air much better than I was able to with my Ping G10s (I think the stiff shafts were the reason I couldn't get them up as well or maybe it was the lie I dont really know). They feel and sound awesome when you hit a good shot and the golf pride grips they come with are great. They look a lot less clunky than the G10s as well which is cool.

After one trip to the driving range I think I made a good choice! I can't wait to play a few rounds with these clubs.  Ill post more thoughts about them when I have had a chance to bring them on the course.

• 2 weeks later...
JPX 825?? This is exactly what i was wondering this week, if Mizuno would launch a new line soon. So either I would prefer the new model, or if not I would save 200$ on the JPX 800...

Note: This thread is 4048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!