IGNORED

Do you know people that think they drive the ball further than they actually do?

jcard71
Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I first met the guy who has become my best friend and regular golfing buddy, he was telling me how he had just played a round where he was bombing past the other guys. I kinda thought, 'yeah, probably not...' but when we got to the course, he's the real deal. It's nothing for him to hit it 280, will usually rip a 300-yd'er each round. His iron game comes and goes but it's generally good; his greenside game is mediocre, so he plays to around a 12-15.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to comment that a variety of factors are going to affect shots, including where you live.

For example I hit the ball a good 10 yards farther with every club in the bag in Utah (slc) than I do when I play in the Chicago area with my uncle.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

That google earth tip rocks!

My old home course doesnt show up (very rural area) but Metrowest Golf Club here in Orlando does. If I say that according to google earth... I actually hit it longer than the GPS says... will anyone believe me lol

I know the GPS in the carts is wrong on one hole, the first par 5 on the front shows very short yardage and no one knows why.

I just want to comment that a variety of factors are going to affect shots, including where you live.

I have to guess elevation there...

As for what people *think* they hit their drives... the only thing that matters is carry, after that its all gravy. Low average carry on the PGA tour is around 260-265, that is straight from the Trackman rep that does most Tour events. Saying you hit 320 on the internets doesnt mean much, especially when this time of year most courses are dried and baked out which means 50 + yards of run. Here in Orlando, if I get 10 yards of roll im thrilled!

I think we all know/have known someone who always thinks they hit it further then they really do.

My favorite though is the guy who always says that he hits em 270-280 (but always far right, left, next fairway but never straight for example) and thinks he's awesome.

I'd rather be the guy who hits em 230-250 for example but straight down the middle of the fairway.

One of my older cousins has a tendency to think he hits it farther than he actually does. He'll hit a pretty good drive, and then say something like "Yep, that had to be a good 290", and he went on for years thinking he was some hotshot, until one day he played with a person in his group who had the SkyCaddie. He "ripped" a drive, then borrowed the SkyCaddie to see how long it was. He thought it was at least 290 or 300, it turns out it was barley 250.

As stated earlier in this thread, it really does give you respect for the pros who really do hit it 300+.

great post, I believe we have or have had a friend or knew of someone just like this.

It's not how far, but how many.

If I hit it on the screws, I can bump it out there 250 on average, and they're pretty straight. If I try really hard, yeah, I can hit it 300, but God knows where it's going.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I just used Google Earth to measure my drives from yesterdays round, and as I expected, all of my drives were in the 285-320 range.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

My better drives always stick out in my memory and I usually will go home and use google earth to measure them. Usually top out around 290.

I have a friend though who constantly believe he drives the ball 300+ yards but I always out drive him by 10 yards with my 3 wood and i know i don't hit my 3w over 300 yards. ~265 tops.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

Well, I'm surprised, but my longest drive this year to this point is right around 320 yards, using Google Earth as a reference. My typical drive on the same hole is 260-270. Measuring my normal drive length on several holes, it seems to average out to about 265.

My longest drive ever on my home course is 350 yards, but that was several years back, and with a strong Chinook tailwind and dry, late fall fairways to help out.

Google Earth is a neat tool, and a lot of guys are going to be depressed if they use it to find out where they really stand.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Google Earth is a neat tool, and a lot of guys are going to be depressed if they use it to find out where they really stand.

It is a great tool. I use it to measure distances to dog legs and of areas to carry on courses that i play often. It has helped tremendously.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

It is a great tool. I use it to measure distances to dog legs and of areas to carry on courses that i play often. It has helped tremendously.

Agreed! Plus you can always put your buddies down:

"Oh boy I CRUSHED that, that's gotta be 320." "No, I checked how far to that tree on Google Earth last night, it's actually 260."

- Stuart Appleby

People don't understand distance, or they over-estimate, because hitting the long ball is macho golf. A 250 yard drive is actually a real bomb, and you can distinguish it easily from the average joe's drive.

I myself hit the long ball compared to my buddies - I typically bump it out there 250, occasionally one of my buddies will poke one out there that far, but it's maybe once a round. Everyone else hits 180-200. Doesn't matter, though - I usually lose the nassau because of my crappy short game.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

People don't understand distance, or they over-estimate, because hitting the long ball is macho golf. A 250 yard drive is actually a real bomb, and you can distinguish it easily from the average joe's drive.

I agree... whenever most poeple find out that you golf you get asked the question "how far do you drive it?".

So if I tell them them the honest answer of 270-280, then they of course say "man I hit it like 300 every time"... so I usually deflect and tell them my handicap or ask them for their handicap or how far they hit it. Sure we can all swing out of our shoes and hit that high number, but an average is an average... and it includes every hit (tops, shanks, skies, skulls, all included).

How did you guys use it to measure distance???

Sure we can all swing out of our shoes and hit that high number, but an average is an average... and it includes every hit (tops, shanks, skies, skulls, all included).[/QUOTE]

Oh, then my average is more like 112 or 112.5 on my best day.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!