IGNORED

Reputation (Skins) and iPad

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I'm fairly certain that's a known bug.

Update: Yeah, it is. Apparently it's not going to be fixed because the mobile version of the site they're working on uses a different layout and JavaScript library, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've noticed this bug too.  And a few others when using an iPad.   The biggest bug is that I still cannot see embedded videos on my iPad.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I've noticed this bug too.  And a few others when using an iPad.   The biggest bug is that I still cannot see embedded videos on my iPad.

Yup. :(

The mobile version of the site is a few months away, I believe. We've seen "sneak peek #2" I believe.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Firefox now has flash support. Idk what it has for apple but check it out.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by iacas

Yup. :(

The mobile version of the site is a few months away, I believe. We've seen "sneak peek #2" I believe.

Yeah if they get the videos rocking on here - I'll no longer need a notebook! :D

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Yeah if they get the videos rocking on here - I'll no longer need a notebook! :D

Frankly, it's frickin' stupid that they don't work right now. They've even been so dumb as to tell me "they work!" when I know for a fact they don't, DESPITE the fact that it would be relatively easy to MAKE THEM WORK. But they use the older method to embed the video in the threads and it doesn't work with the iPads or anything which won't show Flash (most everything).

I doubt they even work with the Chrome browser you can download for iPad, but it might be worth a shot. Chrome for awhile on the desktop was bundling in a version of Flash, IIRC.

And Huddler people, if you're reading this, I'm sorry but you know I'm right about this stuff, and I've pointed this YouTube issue out (as have others) for almost as long as this site's been on Huddler.

Frankly, it's frickin' stupid that they don't work right now. They've even been so dumb as to tell me "they work!" when I know for a fact they don't, [b] DESPITE the fact that it would be relatively easy to MAKE THEM WORK. [/b]But they use the older method to embed the video in the threads and it doesn't work with the iPads or anything which won't show Flash (most everything). I doubt they even work with the Chrome browser you can download for iPad, but it might be worth a shot. Chrome for awhile on the desktop was bundling in a version of Flash, IIRC. And Huddler people, if you're reading this, I'm sorry but you know I'm right about this stuff, and I've pointed this YouTube issue out (as have others) for almost as long as this site's been on Huddler.

Not even 'relatively'...it's a very easy bit of coding for any programmer Huddler would hire. Makes me think their development staff is pretty thin. Again, I hope MS's new tablet is solid so that I can ditch my iPad. Even though fewer sites seem to be using Flash, I HATE that a company takes it upon themselves to decide to eliminate support for something that's still pervasive.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Not even 'relatively'...it's a very easy bit of coding for any programmer Huddler would hire. Makes me think their development staff is pretty thin. Again, I hope MS's new tablet is solid so that I can ditch my iPad. Even though fewer sites seem to be using Flash, I HATE that a company takes it upon themselves to decide to eliminate support for something that's still pervasive.

Oh please. Flash sucks. It didn't go over well on ANY mobile device.

^^^

If I could give you a skin, I would. :)

Effectively killing mobile flash is one of Apple's greatest contributions to the sum of human happiness.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

My comments, to wit:

...had nothing to do with my opinion of Flash as a technology. Since you jumped off-topic with this, though:

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh please. Flash sucks. It didn't go over well on ANY mobile device.

I'll expand on my thoughts:

My opinion has nothing to do with the functionality of Flash on mobile devices, but everything to do with Apple deciding for its users what content/technology to which their users should be exposed. Flash isn't the only thing Apple has restricted in their closed 'eco-system'. I'm not here to do battle with Apple fanboys - buy whatever you think is best for you. I own an iPad because it's currently the best tablet on the market. I don't own an iPhone because it's not the best phone on the market (IMO).

My phone has no problem playing Flash videos. The 'It didn't go over well on ANY mobile device' statement isn't true. Even my older Android-based phone (circa 2007) played Flash videos without a hitch.

Whether you and I like it or not, Flash still has almost a 25% market share of all video presented on the web. 6 of the top 10 websites in the world still use Flash (Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Baidu, Amazon, QQ). Meanwhile, users that access your site on the most popular tablet (50%+ market share) and one of the most popular MM phones sold (40%+ market share) are S.O.L. when it comes to viewing Flash videos on TheSandTrap.com. That's a result of the software you've chosen to use to power your site, and my original comments were directed at Huddler, not you or the viability of Flash as a technology.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

My opinion has nothing to do with the functionality of Flash on mobile devices, but everything to do with Apple deciding for its users what content/technology to which their users should be exposed. Flash isn't the only thing Apple has restricted in their closed 'eco-system'. I'm not here to do battle with Apple fanboys - buy whatever you think is best for you. I own an iPad because it's currently the best tablet on the market. I don't own an iPhone because it's not the best phone on the market (IMO).

Well, that's the thing: you have it precisely backwards. Apple sells a device, and the customers decide what content/technology they want to expose themselves to when they buy it or don't buy it. Everyone knew the iPhone didn't support Flash. People bought it anyway, and in fact, some bought it because of that reason.

Apple's systems aren't really any more closed than others, and their "closed" system has some pretty nice advantages, too. But hey, you said a few key buzzwords and got a "fanboy" reference in, so it's all good.

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

My phone has no problem playing Flash videos. The 'It didn't go over well on ANY mobile device' statement isn't true. Even my older Android-based phone (circa 2007) played Flash videos without a hitch.

Sure it did. Flash was killed for a lot of reasons, but it could be summarized as "it didn't go over well on any mobile device."

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Whether you and I like it or not, Flash still has almost a 25% market share of all video presented on the web. 6 of the top 10 websites in the world still use Flash (Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Baidu, Amazon, QQ). Meanwhile, users that access your site on the most popular tablet (50%+ market share) and one of the most popular MM phones sold (40%+ market share) are S.O.L. when it comes to viewing Flash videos on TheSandTrap.com. That's a result of the software you've chosen to use to power your site, and my original comments were directed at Huddler, not you or the viability of Flash as a technology.

25% and dropping. Awhile ago it might have been 10 out of 10 (and YouTube uses it but has 100% fallback for non-Flash users, as does Google, Yahoo, etc.).

I'm well aware of the fact that Huddler sucks in this regard. I've told them several times. This site doesn't use much Flash, though - they could make the YouTube videos show up by using the standard embeds, which allow YouTube to substitute in MP4 (etc.) files when played. This works and is very easy to do, yet Huddler has not done this. I'm not happy about it, and I've told them. Not much more I can do. :)

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!