IGNORED

Who's your favorite golf course architect?

Note: This thread is 4249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ross is at the top of the list.

I would also like to throw in Dick Wilson and Joe Lee. So many courses, so little time.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by golfcourseasart

Thank goodness for a kindred spirit at long last. Fazio gets so much flak from the architecture 'purists' that I was beginning to wonder if I was his only fan. I think the knock on him is that he's okay at making land look good but not so good with strategy. Have never played his courses, so I can't give a definitive answer to that but I've read his book Golf Course Designs and saw very little that I didn't like. You played Pelican Hill yet?

I haven't played Pelican Hill yet.  It's funny because I live in Newport Beach - and can be at Pelican Hill in less than 10 minutes.  But find it difficult to justify dropping $280 for a round out there as I've been trying to play on a semi-frugal budget since I play so much.  I frequent Oak Creek in Irvine - and enjoy it.  Fazio worked some magic there given the lack of land he was given to work with - and pulled off putting together a course which makes every hole feel like it's own private preserve.

I've also played The Glen Club which is exceptional in terms of being manicured and maintained.

Mahogany Run in St. Thomas is a short course - but some memorable holes on the ocean.

Raptor at Grayhawk in Scottsdale was also enjoyable and challenging... Again a very well manicured and maintained facility.

I guess my point in answering this thread is that out of the recognizable designers... I'd say the courses that I've played of his were enjoyable and I felt they were fair with out being excessively challenging or stupid layouts unplayable by the normal weekend golfer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!