IGNORED

Putting Woes

Note: This thread is 6160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I think I finally hit rock-bottom today for putting.

I shot 44 for 9 holes with - get this - FIVE 3-putts, and 7 GIRs. (And zero one putts just to be clear here).

I feel like I am not particularly confident standing over putts, but especially on long putts it really just feels like guesswork to me. I am liable to roll the ball 15 feet over the green or leave it 10 feet short.... on a 20 footer.

If any of you have had similar problems in the past or think you can give me some advice about not only drills to help me feel the correct distance but also a better mindset for standing over tricky longer putts I would be MUCH obliged!

Just to add a little more information, the course I usually play has fairly quick greens and I have been using a Ping B60 Putter, although I have considered shelling out for something slightly heavier such as a Newport.

I really appreciate your help in this matter,

Michael.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

yeah, i can't putt either. sorry, i've got no advice. my goal is to completely remove 3 putts from my game. on long putts, i line it up and try to get it within 3 feet. but i fail at that too. so, pretty much i have no help for you.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

Wow. I feel your pain. I would be pissed if I managed to hit 7 GIR's and shoot a 44. I shoot 44's, 45's, 47's, etc all the time, but I also rarely (scratch that - never) have 7 of 9 greens in regulation. This is stolen and much repeated advice, but try to focus only on speed. Speed is where it's at. Don't worry about a foot or two left or right, just try not to roll 12 feet past.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

My advice is that you get a putter you can really feel the ball coming off the face on fast greens and make sure you use your bigger muscles and not chicken wing-it. Having a fairly heavy putter (like a Cammy Newport) helps on shorter putts since you don't have to take it back as much and still get a pure roll. I cannot feel putts for speed with mallets.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

The biggest problem most people have with putting is they will take the putter head back absurdly far considering how far they are from the hole. Remember to maintain accuracy and consistency take it a little way back but always make sure to follow through, don't stop after you hit the ball. This will cause the ball to come off the face at different speeds, and sometimes throw it to the right or left. Practice 3 footers taking the club back about 2 inches or so.

ok, so my putting woes are well documented on this forum, but there are a couple of tips that I have read that should help.

1) Stand taller on longer putts
Standing taller frees everything up. It allows your arms and shoulders to make a nice, flowing motion. Tall posture on really long putts also encourages you to move your knees and hips slightly to assist in making the stroke.

2) Accelerate the putter through the ball (especially on short putts)

On putts no longer than 4 - 8 feet make a short backstroke and then accelerate through the ball... Acceleration will help keep the putterhead and ball on the line you choose.

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Hey guys, thanks for the tips I'll give them a try when I play today (hopefully twice).

My main problem is that when putting with the B60 my speed is not terrible when I strike the ball exactly centered in the clubface, but even the slightest mishit and I will be a good 5-6 feet short.

With the 2Ball SRT, I just have no feel on longer putts at all.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

My dad told me once that putting should be called pushing. Granted, I'm not a good, or even decent, putter. But he told me to think of putting as just pushing the ball to the hole. Like powerhitter said, don't rare back and whack the ball (I know that's exagerated). Just concentrate on the follow through and allow the club head to "follow" the ball. Once I started to do this I went from 4 and 5 putting everything to 2 and 3 putts. I still need to work on my aim, but thats another issue.

Another thing that helped me judge my speed/distance was a practice mat i made with some astro turf, my local courses have pretty slow greens with all the humidity.

Good luck,

Flux

PS I know the feeling of being on the green in one off the tee on a par 3 and ending up with a 6....:(
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Note: This thread is 6160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!