IGNORED

Quick help from magazine article

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 6167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you ever read an article and taken it right to the course for a quick fix? Saturday I read Butch Harmon's tip from Golf Digest about finishing tall on the follow through. I was playing on Sunday and hit a fat shot when I thought about it. I made a conscious effort to do it and it really helped. I picked up 20 yards on my driver and they were straight with a very slight fade.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• Administrator
Have you ever read an article and taken it right to the course for a quick fix? Saturday I read Butch Harmon's tip from Golf Digest about finishing tall on the follow through. I was playing on Sunday and hit a fat shot when I thought about it. I made a conscious effort to do it and it really helped. I picked up 20 yards on my driver and they were straight with a very slight fade.

Yes, but probably not in the past decade.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last month's Golf Magazine had ten fixes to save strokes from your game. Since at some point I suffer from most of those disaster shots, yeah, I read it and took it seriously.

Here's the list: Popped up my tee shot - Not often anymore, but sometimes when I tee it too high, I get one of these. Pulled my drive - About one out of 20 drives is a mad pull, usually into trees. Hit a wicked slice/hook - I have a natural, long draw - my miss is most commonly a massive hook. Hit that long iron super thin - Occasionally, but my problem is hitting it off the toe. Hit a short iron short and right - Yep, that happens, although usually because I underclub. Topped a fairway wood - Used to happen every time I pulled them out. Now I get them in the air, but 70 yards off line to the right. Hit that bunker shot fat - Used to do this a lot - although not enough swing is more accurate. Flubbed that flop shot - I don't flub a flop shot. I skull it, and it goes 50 yards off the other end of the green. Bladed that chip shot - What round is a round without blading a few chip shots? It's why I always putt from the fringe, and when there's less than five feet of rough between me and the green. Shanked that chip - Only had this on the range. Shanked a few flop shots, clubface open -> hosel in play. http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...620527,00.html
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

The funny thing is that it was nothing I didn't already know. It just happened to pop into my head at the right time and worked for me. Granted, I'm playing again tonight and it may not help at all.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have that magazine and I was just reading through it again last night. I plan to try that tip tomorrow and hope to hit some better iron shots...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Whenever I get one of these great swing thoughts it works well for a while and then stops working even going the other way. For instance I started the day slicing every tee shot so I started concentrating on releasing the club. That lasted (nice long draws) for about 4 holes when the hook set in. It took me almost a month to get back from that little adjustment. What a game this is.

A few months back, just before starting taking lessons, I was slicing all my shots something awful. Then I came across an article in Golf Magazine which related the common cure of holding a glove or towel under one's left armpit and swinging so the object doesn't drop. Voila! With my first swing that way, the ball went arrow straight. I still do that on the range to reinforce the swing path that forces.

I also incorporate a swing tip I got in, of all places, the Edwin Watts cataloge recently. In one of the little "Tips From Our Pro" boxes, it was recommended that placing standing on a hilly lie with the ball below your feet will force you to stay bent over through the entire swing if you want to make contact. Since I am guilty of standing up on my downswing and topping the ball often, I've started taking that advice. It's actually helping quite a bit, from what I can tell, even though I only started doing that a week or so ago.

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

A few months back, just before starting taking lessons, I was slicing all my shots something awful. Then I came across an article in Golf Magazine which related the common cure of holding a glove or towel under one's left armpit and swinging so the object doesn't drop. Voila! With my first swing that way, the ball went arrow straight. I still do that on the range to reinforce the swing path that forces.

For the first tip, does that include on the follow through? I have tried this and it feels ok, but I usually drop the glove on the follow through, is that wrong?

And for the second tip that one is in this months Golf Digest too...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

For the first tip, does that include on the follow through? I have tried this and it feels ok, but I usually drop the glove on the follow through, is that wrong?

Hi Elivate, good seeing you again.

Well, if your shots are going straight then that is the ultimate test. I have to admit, when I read that tip they never said whether or not the glove should drop *after* contact with the ball. But I always folded my left elbow a bit on my follow through to make sure it stayed there. I notice that when I don't use the glove now, I have built up enough muscle memory that I strike the ball on the same path as WITH the glove there, but I also extend my arms farther on the follow through, which helps gain some distance. So yeah, if the ball isn't slicing but you drop the glove on the follow through I guess you're doing it right. I haven't seen the latest Golf Digest. Thanks for that! Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Note: This thread is 6167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!