IGNORED

Reshafting a driver.

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got fitted for a TM Burner with Reg shaft 2 months ago, my swing speed was around 95-100 and I hit it well.

Fast forward to now, I have improved my swing to achieve greater speed ~105 MPH. My problem now is that I constantly have the clubface closed at impact pulling the ball left or creating a draw. The culpret seems to be too much flex. Now I have a decision, should I try to sell this one and purchase a stiff shaft, or get it reshafted with a nice shaft? I figure the loss of cash will end up at around 70-80 bucks lost in resell value. Is it cost effective to reshaft?

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Id go with reshafting it. Just because you have all the options in the world open to you then. I personally am in the same boat as you. I have a TM Burner stiff and am getting it reshaftd to an x stiff.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

Get it reshafted! If you trade in you existing driver, you will not get near the value you think you should. Also, you can upgrade to a much better shaft for $60-$80 including labor.

Personally, I think you should have been sold a stiff shaft to begin with.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

I'm in a similar bag with my F/Speed driver. I used to swing at around 90-95 mph, but I'm in the process of getting in shape and improving flexibility, so I think it's around 105 now (I am about 25 yards longer than two months ago). Usually I can bomb it straight (slight draw - it's natural with all my clubs), but other times I dead pull my drive, or duck-hook it. I might give the F/speed to my father, and get an X-speed, instead, since his driver, a 10 year old Taylormade Ti Bubble 2, looks like it's about ready to die.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Maybe I am missing something here but how does having too much flex make the ball go left? Face angle controls lateral ball movement, shaft flex control horizontal ball flight.

Best thing to do is go to a TM club fitter. They have all the driver heads with quick change shafts, you can try pretty much every shaft and your head combo under the sun and I am willing to bet the shaft isn't what is causing your ball to go left.

If you are coming from the inside on your swing then you might look at drivers that have less of a closed face angle or weakening your grip slightly which will make your club face a bit more open at impact. In TMs case you would have to go with the TPs which have a more neutral face angle.

Who told you its the shaft that is causing you to go left, I was in the same boat as you. I had a R7 425 and I was drawing too much. So I went and got a R7 425 TP after going to the TM club fitter, that straighted me right out. I can hit it pretty much in any direction insead of fighting too much draw. I went from being as much as 4 deg closed with the non-TP head to never being more then 2deg closed with the TP head.

I agree with Digger..options are endless if you reshaft. Plus, you're already going to be in the hole a little bit, so you may as well get exactly what you want!

Good luck,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

For a new driver like that i would absolutely re-shaft it.
www.golfsmith.com has a lot of good shafts to choose from.
but i'd get fitted at a local golf shop before you buy one and to make sure it fits on the head

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Maybe I am missing something here but how does having too much flex make the ball go left? Face angle controls lateral ball movement, shaft flex control horizontal ball flight.

Added flex makes the club snap closed, which helps square up the club, when it is too whippy the club will whip shut pulling the drives.

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

Added flex makes the club snap closed, which helps square up the club, when it is too whippy the club will whip shut pulling the drives.

That is what happened to me earlier this week. I dead pulled most of my drives, and my buddy, who had never seen me use my driver before, asked if I'd fitted a garden hose on there. (That's how much the shaft bent in my swing.)

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

from talking to TM reps here it seems if you have the non-tp burner they dont reccomend re-shafting with anything other then the fuji 50gm shaft so if i was you id see if there was anyway you could get that shaft in a xstiff.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

from talking to TM reps here it seems if you have the non-tp burner they dont reccomend re-shafting with anything other then the fuji 50gm shaft so if i was you id see if there was anyway you could get that shaft in a xstiff.

Any reason why that is?

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

Any reason why that is?

That driver head was built specifically for that shaft and lighter than normal shaft weight, so unless you were going to reshaft using another shaft around 50ish grams im not sure i would. but thats all theoretical anyways so if you find a shaft that works then i dont see a problem, its just that's what i was told...

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

That driver head was built specifically for that shaft and lighter than normal shaft weight, so unless you were going to reshaft using another shaft around 50ish grams im not sure i would. but thats all theoretical anyways so if you find a shaft that works then i dont see a problem, its just that's what i was told...

Alot of the guys on golfwrx have theirs reshafted, so mabe it wont be an issue?

MX500 9.5* S
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*

I somewhat agree with this post....but

At 100mph you are in the wrong shaft. The torque is most likely to high. This is what causes the lateral ball movement. Most of the time a weak shaft will not flex back in time and cause a push. If you adjust for this and close up the face with your timing, it will hook. Get fitted by a knowledgable person and my guess would be to switch the shaft. The pro will be able to tell you what the issue is with the spin and the launch angle. Good luck.... P.S. ask about the UST V2 shafts
In the bag.....
Burner Superfast
G10 3wd UST V2
hybrid
MP-32 CG10/11 52*,56*,58*,60* wedges Squareback Pro V1Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker T.E. laser range finderBushnell Neo GPS

Last year I had something similar happen to me. I had the Titleist 983K and liked everything about it, but I really wanted the Aldila NV shaft. I had hit drivers with it and loved it. I went to Golfsmith and looked into reshafting. It was going to be about $125 for the shaft, new grip and labor. Not to mention the 5 days they would need to keep it to get it done. I left there and went to 2nd Swing to look at hybrids and while I was hitting one I noticed the exact same club I was using with the stiff NV shaft in it just sitting against the wall in one of the hitting bays. It was the same loft and had the stock Titleist cord grip. It was $99. They gave me $60 for the trade in on my driver and I walked out of there with a "reshafted" driver. The only problem with that is 2nd swing is gone.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Has anyone reshafted their Burner TP on here? I just purchased a Burner TP 9.5 degree Stiff Flex and it seems to much whip for me, I swing about 110 MPH. My previous driver, an R7 had the same problem and I had it reshafted with a YS6 X flex and it was too stiff. So Im thinking about getting a different Stiff Shaft but tip it stiff. Has anyone reshafted their TP and what shafts did you use?

Has anyone reshafted their Burner TP on here? I just purchased a Burner TP 9.5 degree Stiff Flex and it seems to much whip for me, I swing about 110 MPH. My previous driver, an R7 had the same problem and I had it reshafted with a YS6 X flex and it was too stiff. So Im thinking about getting a different Stiff Shaft but tip it stiff. Has anyone reshafted their TP and what shafts did you use?

I reshafted my Burner TP with a ProForce V2 stiff shaft and it is great. I had the same shaft in my previous driver. I have a swing speed of 106, so I think that shaft would be good for you.. I know at my local Edwin Watts they had the Taylor Made Fit System which will allow you to interchange different shafts with the TP head.

In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

beung is correct. It is not the shaft that is causing the pull or hook. If you are swinging the club correctly and not (maybe subconsciously) compensating for the flex in the shaft,, then you should be producing a push fade. Since the flex is too low for your swing speed, I do agree to get the stiff shaft. However, in the case of the club face, with a normal swingspeed of 105 or so the lag of the regular flex would keep the face from catching up at impact and it would be open causing a push fade. This is unless you are compensating for it with your hands and timing and that might cause a hook.

Not sure where most of you got the idea that a shaft that was too "whippy" would produce a hook.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver:
3 Wood:
Hybrid:
3-PW: Wedges: Putter: Ball:

Note: This thread is 6153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!