IGNORED

Mike Weir- will he ever make it back?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I asked this question myself not long ago because it always puzzles me how athletes can fall off the map like this. I checked his stats for a few tournaments and saw that he was averaging like 240 off the tee and hitting 35% of fairways. Throw in 40% GIR and I couldn't believe this guy was a major championship winner. Tough to watch.

Shows you how fickle golf can be...Weir always had a better short game than long, but in 2003, when he won the Masters, his long game numbers were more respectable: DRIVING DISTANCE 289.2 68th DRIVING ACCURACY PERCENTAGE 63.37% 134th GREENS IN REGULATION PERCENTAGE 65.85% 85th Tiger hasn't looked much like a former major winner lately either. Tough to be competitive when you are spraying off the tee 30 yards shorter. Like Tiger, Weir has had some injuries and isn't getting any younger. I like Tiger's chances of winning going forward better than Weir's.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Shows you how fickle golf can be...Weir always had a better short game than long, but in 2003, when he won the Masters, his long game numbers were more respectable:

DRIVING DISTANCE 289.2 68th

DRIVING ACCURACY PERCENTAGE 63.37% 134th

GREENS IN REGULATION PERCENTAGE 65.85% 85th

Tiger hasn't looked much like a former major winner lately either. Tough to be competitive when you are spraying off the tee 30 yards shorter. Like Tiger, Weir has had some injuries and isn't getting any younger. I like Tiger's chances of winning going forward better than Weir's.

I agree, because one guy is Tiger and the other guy isn't :-) If Mike Weir ever wins a PGA Tour event again, I'll be shocked. If Tiger doesn't grab one at some point, I'll be equally shocked.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shows you how fickle golf can be...Weir always had a better short game than long, but in 2003, when he won the Masters, his long game numbers were more respectable:

DRIVING DISTANCE 289.2 68th

DRIVING ACCURACY PERCENTAGE 63.37% 134th

GREENS IN REGULATION PERCENTAGE 65.85% 85th

Tiger hasn't looked much like a former major winner lately either. Tough to be competitive when you are spraying off the tee 30 yards shorter. Like Tiger, Weir has had some injuries and isn't getting any younger. I like Tiger's chances of winning going forward better than Weir's.

You're dead on, it's fickle as hell! There's no doubt injuries have been nagging Weir.. think he had something going on with his elbow for the last few years and he's clearly not competing at the level he was before. Kind of sad sometimes but like you said earlier, it takes a couple good finishes to get you back on the saddle!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Weir will take an indefinite leave of absence from the tour. It looks like his career is coming to a close. [Quote]Mike Weir is taking an "indefinite leave of absence" from competition. The 2003 Masters champion, an Ontario, Canada native, tweeted this Friday afternoon, ahead of next week’s RBC Canadian Open[/Quote] [Quote]I have decided to take some time off from golf competition for personal reasons. Thanks to my fans for their support. pic.twitter.com/hsfB6EXqNa — Weirsy (@MikeWeir) July 17, 2015[/Quote]

Riley

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!