IGNORED

Repair or Replace?

Note: This thread is 4260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I was at the range yesterday the clubhead of my Biggest Big Bertha broke off the shaft right above the clubhead (went about 100 yards!). From my understanding this club was made about 15 years old (my dad bought it for me used about 3-4 years ago).

I called Callaway, and they want $70+ shipping to have it reshafted!

They also said I could "trade it in" for a new driver at cost. A Razr Black would be $125 and a Razr Fit would be $210.

Called a local golf shop, their in house shaft would be about $50, installed. They can also get other shafts & have more in stock too.

They also suggested used clubs or some model year clubs that are marked down to about $200.

I have never been measured for clubs, not sure what my swing speed is. I am able to hit this driver 275 yards on a very good day, average about 225-250 when I hit it right. I have been battling a slice for years and was actually working on some adjustments to my swing when I broke it. I had gotten the ball to straighten out a bit.

What should I do? Is it worth fixing a 15 year old club? Or is technology much more advanced now that I should upgrade to one of Callaway's newer drivers?

The shop would measure my swing speed before installing a new shaft to make sure I am playing the right shaft, I could also get a full club fitting for $25 and then make the best decision on what new club to get...so many options! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Personally, I would go to the local shop and hit a few new drivers and get your swing speed measured and fitted for the right shaft.  I had clubs that were 16 years old and I finally upgraded and it made a lot of difference for me.  I went from an old Cobra .350 to a new Cobra S3 and I hit the ball probably 40-50 yards further than my old club.

Wow! A Biggest Big Burtha. You have no idea what a big deal that club was in its day. But alas, today is not that day. Mine broke like yours when it was new and they replaced it free. I was glad it went forward and didn't kill anyone on the range. I played that club for years. But not 15 years.

You will be shocked at how much better drivers today.

I say hold on to your GBB as a collectors' item. I had the Great and the Greatest and I wish I still had them. Your Greatest is kind of like have a second generation Mac from 1985. It is not the first groundbreaking model but it is the second.

Do you need a new driver? Do you use your 15 year old computer? It still does what they said it would do 15 years ago but come on.

Go have a ball at Golfsmith. Get a free fitting. Check out their used clubs and last year's models -- they are all a lot newer than what you have been playing and you can save a lot of money by not getting the latest and hottest. I predict you'll love whatever you end up buying.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Sell it on eBay and buy a different one in the same place.  OR learn to install a new shaft yourself. It is very easy. I buy shafts in clubs, remove and reinstall in new head  all in about 20 minutes. It is not hard.

Unless that old broken shafted POS was used to win a major championship of belonged to a family member who has passed away, it is not a collectors item. Sorry, but the OP might be better served to simply throw it in the garbage and buy something used < 5 years old and move on.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Unless that old broken shafted POS was used to win a major championship of belonged to a family member who has passed away, it is not a collectors item. Sorry, but the OP might be better served to simply throw it in the garbage and buy something used < 5 years old and move on.

Sean,

Have you no sense of history or romance? I'm not saying it is valuable. That club is a classic. Don't you wish you still had your first bike?

But by no means should anyone ride that first bike 15 years later or play with that driver.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Quote:

Sean,

Have you no sense of history or romance? I'm not saying it is valuable. That club is a classic. Don't you wish you still had your first bike?

But by no means should anyone ride that first bike 15 years later or play with that driver.

Not sure I'm seeing the connection - a club his dad got from a used bin a couple years ago has little sentimental compared to something from his childhood. BTW, my first bike was a used POS my dad purchased at an estate sale. I was pretty happy to move on to a good bike which I purchased from Sears with my own money.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by durbancic

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Immediately dispose of that out of date dinosaur.  I suggest you buy modern technology.

my 2 cents..

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Not sure I'm seeing the connection - a club his dad got from a used bin a couple years ago has little sentimental compared to something from his childhood. BTW, my first bike was a used POS my dad purchased at an estate sale. I was pretty happy to move on to a good bike which I purchased from Sears with my own money.

So the answer is "no." You have no sense of history or romance? Perhaps that first bike left a scar. The connection I was trying to make is that many of first bikes would be nostalgic classics now. Like the Greatest Big Bertha.

I think we can all agree that the OP should not fix his GBB. Classic or not, its time to be in someone's bag is long past.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Quote:

So the answer is "no." You have no sense of history or romance? Perhaps that first bike left a scar. The connection I was trying to make is that many of first bikes would be nostalgic classics now. Like the Greatest Big Bertha.

I think we can all agree that the OP should not fix his GBB. Classic or not, its time to be in someone's bag is long past.

Not trying to offend anyone, but are you trolling me? If it's not playable it's garbage. I've had the same forged blades since 1992 even though they're a notch or two below modern technology. Same wedges since '94 even though the grooves have seen better days. I still occasionally use persimmon even though the results aren't as consistent as modern technolog. The Great Big Bertha is a quasi classic much like the mint condition (i.e. not broken) BB Warbird I gave away last summer.  It was playable and was not garbage.

Note: This thread is 4260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!