IGNORED

Best wedges for hitting out of fairway and rough?

Note: This thread is 4413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I kicking around the idea of replacing my wedges and I was wondering which are better (or easier I guess) for hitting out of the fairway/rough any input would be helpful thanks.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, some custom guys will make a sharp knife-like edge on the hosel to help cut through grass - that helps in the rough. Also, a smaller head may be more playable in deep rough but you may make poor contact because in deep rough, you are essentially chopping at the ball to get it out - not the most precise way to hit a ball when the grass wants to move your clubhead around.

In deep green side rough, I've found it is best to "chop" at the ball with a steep swing on your wedge and just hit down semi-viciously with the only follow through being your momentum when you are confronted with a ball in deep, greenside rough.

As to the fairway - I don't like wide soles on a wedge.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:
Well, some custom guys will make a sharp knife-like edge on the hosel to help cut through grass

That would be crazy, i could imagine just reaching for a club and cutting myself :/

Personally i like how Cleveland Wedges set up, though Titleist probably has the best comibination of sole grinds and loft variations.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I just picked up two Cleveland 588 wedge's: a 54 and a 58. I love them. They are great off the fairway and the zip grooves and laser milling help prevent flyers out of the rough. You should give them a look. Definitely recommend!

In my  Recoil bag:

Nike SQ Machspeed Black STR8-FIT Driver 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Wood 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Hybrid

Cobra Baffler Rail 4 Hybrid

Nike SQ Machspeed Irons 5-AW

Cleveland 588 - 54 Degree

Cleveland 588 - 58 Degree

TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider Putter

NXT Tour

This may sound dumb but whats the difference in bounce in a wedge i looked up the cleveland 588's and they give you 3 bounce options 8/12/14 what option is best for me?

It confused the hell out of me too at first, but this chart does a pretty good job of explaining it. My 588s both have 12 degrees of bounce, so they are playable in both firm and soft conditions. I would recommend 12 degrees of bounce just because of the versatility, but it really depends on the conditions on which you play and your type of swing (shallow or steep.) Good luck!

In my  Recoil bag:

Nike SQ Machspeed Black STR8-FIT Driver 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Wood 

Cobra Baffler Rail 3 Hybrid

Cobra Baffler Rail 4 Hybrid

Nike SQ Machspeed Irons 5-AW

Cleveland 588 - 54 Degree

Cleveland 588 - 58 Degree

TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spider Putter

NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 4413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!