IGNORED

Ball Snob

Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've decided this season that I don't want to be a ball snob any longer and have been playing some cheaper balls. I used to play the Titleist ProV1x and the Taylormade Black. I love those balls but I don't like hunting for a family heirloom when I hit one astray. I have noticed that the ball makes a big difference on driving distance for me.

What are recommendations for a economy all around ball that doesn't cost a lot?

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I'm sure there are several, but I'll only name the one's I've tried for myself:

Titliest NXT/NXT Tour (nicknamed the ProV1 Lite)
Bridgestone E 5 and E 6 (the E 5 has more spin than the E 6)
Nike Ignite

All around the $25/dz. range

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I starting playing the Titleist MX Distance (about $25cdn) last year. It's a 2-piece ball and very affordable. I found an overall good feel in the short game shots and a nice pop off the driver for a 2-piece ball so I've stuck with it. Another option would be the Titleist Dt Solo (about $30cdn) of course, also 2-piece. As clubchucker mentioned I've also heard and seen a lot of good things from the Nike Ignite (about $25cdn) and of course the NXT is also a good choice as a middle range (about $40cdn). Hope that helps a little.

"It took me seventeen years to get 3,000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course" ~Hank Aaron, 1971

Robert's Golf Bag:
Taylormade R7 425 w/ S Flex Aldila NV65
Launcher Steel 3W & 5W S Flex Halo 3i S Flex TA2 Irons 4-PW 588 56* , 60* X2 PutterBall: HP Distance MX

I'd go with the Titleist NXT/Tour or the Callaway HX Hot. Both are very good balls and are around $25/doz.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You'll probably think I'm crazy but try the Top Flite D2 "Feel" ball. Long off the tee, putts great and spins quite well. It also has a fairly soft feel, as it's name implies. No longer a "Top Rock" or "Rock Flite".

The best part -- they are about $15/15 pack. Yup, a buck a ball. It appears that the ball designers at Callaway have had some real influence on the Top Flite line.

I've been playing these balls this year and I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Nike power distance I like or the Titleist DT solo....both inexpensive
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I will try the Top Flite "rock" D2 Feel. I found a couple and didn't mind them surprisingly.

How do the Titeleist DT Solo compare with the NXT/NXT Tour and what is the difference between the NXT and NXT Tour?

In My Bag:
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

I play Maxfli Noodles and Callaway Big Berthas.
They're cheap and they work for me.

I'm not good enough to get anything outta Pro V1's or Vx's
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

I've decided this season that I don't want to be a ball snob any longer and have been playing some cheaper balls. I used to play the Titleist ProV1x and the Taylormade Black. I love those balls but I don't like hunting for a family heirloom when I hit one astray. I have noticed that the ball makes a big difference on driving distance for me.

Titleist NXT Tour. It doesn't feel as soft as the Pro V1, but has just as much distance, as well as decent spin around the green. Basically, it's the poor man's Pro V1.

(Or you could just hit the ball straight. )
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I have always liked Maxfli balls and I usually play the A3 Solid which are almost a buck a ball... I pay about $18 for a dozen... I find these to be a very good "value" ball... Good distance and decent feel for what you pay. They are pretty durable too...

I just bought a dozen of the new Maxfli Fire to give them a try, they are a little more $25/dozen (I am talking CDN prices)... They were on the hot list this year so I am hoping they will perform fairly well...

Anyway, I am heading out soon so I will be playing the Fire for the first time today..

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Good call on hitting the ball straight. My never ending quest for the perfect swing keeps me in rebuild mode too often. In these times it's nice to forget about the ball. I hit an old dirty rig of a range ball as a provisional this weekend and just rocked it with my driver. The thing went 280 yards when a new ball would have gone 30 yards more. I realized then that I needed some decent backup balls when the swing isn't firing on all cylinders.

In My Bag:

haha yeah I hear you on that one man, I used to be a ball snob... I loved the ProV1X but I just graduated from school and am now broke. I just got a decent job working at a a local country club where they use NxtTour balls on their range, lets just say I'm not paying for balls for a long time

they feel great, not as soft as the prov1 obviously but not to bad at all

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!