IGNORED

Birmingham, AL Courses

Note: This thread is 6289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I travel to Birmingham at least 2-3 times a year to play golf. I have friends in TN and we usually meet halfway to hang out and play golf for a couple of days. I'm going again in about a month or so and I'm looking for course recommendations and even more importantly want to know if there are any courses we should purposely avoid. In the past I have played:

Highland Park
Eagle Point
Ballantrae
Oxmoor Valley - Short and Valley Course

We have played Highland Park more than once as we enjoyed it, but the last few times we played the greens were in pretty bad shape. Eagle Point was expensive, jam-packed, and we were involved in two seperate altercations so we won't likely be back. Ballantrae and Oxmoor Valley were pretty nice, but just looking to try something new.

We like to keep it under the $70 mark. Any input from area golfers is greatly appreciated.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

You might try Oak Mountain State Park Golf Course. Its a decent course, the maintenance is actually really good, and the course plays well. I have never been dissapointed playing there to be honest, and its not expensive. 28 bucks for 18 with a cart I think on weekends. Trust me, its worth running through imo.

--Josh

agree that highland park has gone downhill quickly in the past 2 years. If you are going to Oxmoor, I would recommend the Ridge course over the other two. (though i think the oxmoor valley short course is one of the best par-3 courses in america).

Also if you are an RTJ trail member, you can play ross bridge for around $80. Great valley for a course that could hold a PGA tour event any day of the week.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

agree that highland park has gone downhill quickly in the past 2 years. If you are going to Oxmoor, I would recommend the Ridge course over the other two. (though i think the oxmoor valley short course is one of the best par-3 courses in america).

Which course do you think could host a PGA event? Oxmoor or Ross Bridge? and if Oxmoor which one?

What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Ross Bridge. With its length and condition of the course, it could be a tough test (8200 yards) for PGA pros. The only adjustment they would need to make it let the rough grow for a bit and tuck the pins in the corners.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Wahoo,

Birmingham has some really good tracks in the price range you had mentioned (+/- $70). Bent Brook is a 27 hole facility on the W side of town. Always in good shape & has hosted a number of Dixie Section USGA events in the past. Great bentgrass greens. The RTJ courses are very good but expensive & crowded (especially on the weekend!). Oxmoor is in your price range but Ross Bridge is not ($125+ for out of state). Oak Mt State Park is a great old style layout and very affordable ($25 after noon) just S of town on I-65. Bermuda greens but rather lenghty from the back tees and quite a work out if you're walking in the summer. Tannehill National is about 30min S of town, another quality 27 hole facility and moderatly priced. A relatively new facility in Oneonta called Limestone Springs was in Golf Digest Top 50 public, but is about $90 during the week, about 45 min N of B'ham. Several very nice private clubs (if you have a reference from your club pro): Pine Tree, Heatherwood, Greystone, Alta Deana, Greyson Valley, Old Overton, Birmingham CC, even Shoal Creek if you've got some pull.

Good luck in Birmingham, I'm sure you'll find somewhere to play!

Note: This thread is 6289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!