IGNORED

Should the captains 'Fix' a Tiger v Rory singles?!

malincanada
Note: This thread is 4245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand what people are saying about each captain wanting to make sure they get a point from their best player, but I think it's more complicated than that.

A lot will depend upon the scores going into the singles of course, but let's assume that, like most of the recent contests, Europe are a couple of points ahead - 9 - 7.

Now to regain the cup, the US would need 7.5 out of the 12 points available. A tough task.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually TRY and fit Woods into whatever slot you think Rory will be put in?

It's a gamble for sure, but the point is that Tiger winning 7&6 against, say, Kaymer still only scores you one point against a player that you would expect most of your team to beat.

Tiger beating Rory 1up, however, also gets you that same one point AND you still have someone else out there earning another point against Kaymer.

P.S. Not wanting to be too mean about Kaymer. He may well come good, but at the moment he is probably Europe's weakest player.

Originally Posted by malincanada

I understand what people are saying about each captain wanting to make sure they get a point from their best player, but I think it's more complicated than that.

A lot will depend upon the scores going into the singles of course, but let's assume that, like most of the recent contests, Europe are a couple of points ahead - 9 - 7.

Now to regain the cup, the US would need 7.5 out of the 12 points available. A tough task.

Wouldn't it make sense to actually TRY and fit Woods into whatever slot you think Rory will be put in?

It's a gamble for sure, but the point is that Tiger winning 7&6 against, say, Kaymer still only scores you one point against a player that you would expect most of your team to beat.

Tiger beating Rory 1up, however, also gets you that same one point AND you still have someone else out there earning another point against Kaymer.

P.S. Not wanting to be too mean about Kaymer. He may well come good, but at the moment he is probably Europe's weakest player.

This is the type of thinking that will go on, throw in lots of second guessing though. I would imagine that McDowell or Poulter will be last out for Europe.

Kaymer showed some better form last week, but still is the weakest link.

Originally Posted by malincanada

What's the process in the President's Cup? I've had a hunt around on the intertubes and can't find anything about it.

I assume it's different than just each captain giving in his list of 12 names in order?

One captain picks and discloses the player for match 1.  Then the other captain picks a player for mach 1 and a player for match 2.  Then the first captain picks his player for match 2 and a player for match 3.  And so on, leapfrogging so in half the matches each captain gets to pick the guy he wants to have face the guy the other captain chose.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

One captain picks and discloses the player for match 1.  Then the other captain picks a player for mach 1 and a player for match 2.  Then the first captain picks his player for match 2 and a player for match 3.  And so on, leapfrogging so in half the matches each captain gets to pick the guy he wants to have face the guy the other captain chose.

I see. Very interesting. Must certainly make them think on their feet a lot more.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

If they do get paired together, I'm sure most people would react like this. I know I probably would.

Touch wood the US TV coverage wouldn't be so obsessed with it that we spend 10 minutes watching them chat on a tee instead of watching the other 11 games!!

The odds of it happening are slim.. According to the blind matching.. HOWEVER, since the Ryder Cup is mostly about TV ratings and drama, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Rory and Tiger get matched mysteriously.. I remember awhile back when David Duval called the Ryder Cup an exhibition match, I think I concur with that.. It's most like some form of ALL-Star TV show, then it is about golfing and winning..

Originally Posted by ThominOH

The odds of it happening are slim.. According to the blind matching.. HOWEVER, since the Ryder Cup is mostly about TV ratings and drama, I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Rory and Tiger get matched mysteriously.. I remember awhile back when David Duval called the Ryder Cup an exhibition match, I think I concur with that.. It's most like some form of ALL-Star TV show, then it is about golfing and winning..

And this is the attitude that has led to the recent European success.

Ollie and his team will be taking it very very seriously.

The chances of Rory and Tiger playing are reasonable if standard team selection is followed - ie best players first, hide the weaker players in the middle and finish off with a couple of players who can handle the pressure when it gets tough - McDowell & Poulter for the Europeans. Not Hunter for the US.

I suspect Ollie will have no part in fixing the order, he learnt from Seve so will do the opposite of what everyone else wants!

Note: This thread is 4245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!