IGNORED

Played Pebble Beach Links and Spanish Bay on Labor Day Weekend

Yukari
Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played from the tips (blue tees for both).  Shot 84 at Pebble Beach (Sunday) with 2 birdies: 5th hole (par 3) and the historic 17th hole (par 3), where Tom Watson chipped in to edge the mighty Nicklaus.  And shot 86 at Spanish Bay (Monday).  They just aerated Spyglass, so we chose Spanish Bay instead.

I liked the layout of Spanish Bay better.  Pebble Beach was a 5-1/2 hours round, which as I understand is the norm.  It was much better at Spanish Bay: 4-1/2 hours.  The view of the ocean was great at Pebble Beach, but personally, I don't think it is really worth $495.  It's one of those courses you play may be once in your life to check it off your bucket list, but I wouldn't pay the full price to play another round.  There are much better courses for a lot less.

At least I got one of the bucket list checked off.  Now I need to check the Old Course at St. Andrews off my bucket list....

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on your rounds on the Peninsula. However, I don't know if there are a lot of courses that are "much better" but that's a judgement call. Yeah, it's slow to play there and that's why I'd like to play in the first group of the day. There are so many world class holes (6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17, 18 and more). Plus you can't discount the setting. I've been to the course but have not have the budget to play. Of course no course is truly worth $495.00.

a buddy of mine just played St Andrews a couple weeks ago, he said it is not that great, boarder line ugly, conditions are good but nothing you to talk about it...

what he did say is the history of the place is overwelming. the fact that you are walking the same holes that have been played for hundreds of years, the home golf and all stuff makes it so special that everything else is irelevent. it is a must play for every golfer and a manatory part of all golf bucket lists...at least in his opinion.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The Old Course isn't much to look at?  I guess it is one of those places that you want to play once but not necessarily more than once.

I guess it looks much better on TV like Pebble Beach.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

The Old Course isn't much to look at?  I guess it is one of those places that you want to play once but not necessarily more than once.

I guess it looks much better on TV like Pebble Beach.

More likely it's a place you need to play many times to understand how to play the course properly. If you are used to hilly scenic courses I doubt St. Andrews will appeal but if you like strategic courses perfectly laid out over the existing land, it will be heaven.

Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!