IGNORED

Unapologetic Forager

Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, that's right, I'm as cheap as they come.

Is it an overcast Tuesday with no one playing within four holes of me? Time to search the forest for strays!

I honestly find this to be one of my favorite things to do on the golf course... after all, most of my shots don't bring me much joy. But you're always a winner when you brave the thorns, branches, mud, and poison ivy just for a chance at picking up a few crappy golf balls!

Indeed, earlier this week I found two prime spots to hunt for the ghosts of terrible shots past. The 5th fairway of the "White Course," a fairway that curves gently to the right, and is lined by trees on the left. Needless to say, all those beautifully straight drives get punished on this hole...

And then there's the 7th hole of the "Blue Course." A 295 yard par 4, but a 90-degree dog leg left. Suspecting that there'd be no shortage of muscle men trying to drive the green over the trees [and failing most of the time], I braved said trees.

Between the two expeditions, I came out with sixty golf balls, 15-20 of which were usable ProV1s and ProV1xs.

And as for the dozens of balls that stink... I call that a free range bucket if you ask me!

Anyone else take part in this pastime for cheapskates?

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Nope. I spend my time on the course golfing. That's where my enjoyment comes from. As long as you're not slowing anyone else up on the course though, if you'd rather look for balls than concentrate on your game, that's fine by me.....whatever flips your switch! I will add that a golfball so disloyal as to have hidden from it's original owner is suspect. I'm not sure that I'd entrust it to do any better on my behalf....you just can't trust that kind of character deficiency! :-D
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WTC    Nice of you to share your HOT SPOTS. I prefer to discourage scroungers by putting up signs "Bewere of Copperhead snakes"

David   You are correct a wayward ball is indeed of questionable character. However they make wonderful presents, and can always be sold on flebay. Which ball do you prefer.........I have all brands??      Reasonable prices!!!

I don't start looking until I start playing bad......somewere around the 4th or 5th hole!!!

When playing some of the nice country clubs here I enjoy missing fairways every once and awhile.  We always joke around that when you miss one you are just looking to load the bag up with pro-v's.  On a wayward drive last week I found 7 pro-v's that were all 1 hit wonders.  It was like Christmas.

Rock on. I try to avoid the trees if I can, but if I find myself in the trees I will pick up all I find while I am looking for my own. Usually on the days I am finding myself in the brush I end up coming home with more then I loose... unfortunately on the $10 a round tract I have only found 1 pro v... but I did it right and played it for 27 holes before I left it for someone else. On the other hand this week in Hilton head I found 3 proV1x's and 2 proV1's in 4 min of searching for my GamerV2... didn't find the Gamer but I think it was a fair trade...

If I may say David in FL...

Not to brag... [ok, to brag], but I just broke 90 last week in my third season of golf using a bag of cheap Taylor/Adams clubs and a ProV1x that I sure as hell didn't pay for. I may dive into the woods now and then, but I sure as heck don't leave my concentration there...

I really do enjoy golf, but I need to do it for cheap, because we can't all afford a dozen new ProV1s and a bag full of Vokeys. This strategy saves me money, adds a fun element, and allows me to enjoy premium golf balls. Nice stories Andrew Gibson... interesting how the profile of the lost golf balls change as you go to different courses :).

That said, living in CT does give you access to ProV1s pretty much wherever you go. Even at the cheapo courses, LOL.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Congratulations on breaking 90. That's a major milestone!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

I am a dedicated forager. The time to go is when it's raining and there is no one else out  Last week I found 520 balls on the front nine and fired a 47 both of which were by far my best outing in my 5 months of playing golf. The less money I spend on balls, the more I can spend on practicing and playing.

Incidentally, My previous high was 310 balls and 57 on the same front nine. There are about 300 left out there.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Originally Posted by madolive3

I am a dedicated forager. The time to go is when it's raining and there is no one else out  Last week I found 520 balls on the front nine and fired a 47 both of which were by far my best outing in my 5 months of playing golf. The less money I spend on balls, the more I can spend on practicing and playing.

Incidentally, My previous high was 310 balls and 57 on the same front nine. There are about 300 left out there.

520 Balls!!!

I haven't bought a golf ball in 20 years. I'm not particular about the brand I hit, and I seem to come up with both good and bad. The bad balls go into the First Tee donation box. Walking helps, since the cart riders usually miss the balls on the opposite side of the cart path. And always walk the edge of the ponds with your trusty retriever!

Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!