IGNORED

Sand wedge with open holes in face

Note: This thread is 4237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

They're certainly legal... I guess the supposed "advantage" is that these clubs cut through the sand and allow you to make better contact with the ball...

That said, such a design makes me scratch my head, as the classic sand shot theoretically involves NO contact between the club and ball... I've always been told to dig the club in an inch or two behind the ball, and let the sand "blow" the ball out of the trap... A club face with holes in it would theoretically stifle the physics of the sand shot, wouldn't it?

perhaps the point is to hit it like a normal chip shot with no interference from the sand? Just my $0.02.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

They're certainly legal...

They are certainly NOT legal.    From the USGA rules:

4. Clubhead

a. Plain in Shape

The clubhead must be generally plain in shape. All parts must be rigid, structural in nature and functional. The clubhead or its parts must not be designed to resemble any other object. It is not practicable to define plain in shape precisely and comprehensively. However, features that are deemed to be in breach of this requirement and are therefore not permitted include , but are not limited to:

(i) All Clubs

• holes through the face ;
  • holes through the head (some exceptions may be made for putters and cavity back irons);
  • facsimiles of golf balls or actual golf balls incorporated into the head;
  • features that are for the purpose of meeting dimensional specifications;
  • features that extend into or ahead of the face;
  • features that extend significantly above the top line of the head;
  • furrows in or runners on the head that extend into the face (some exceptions may be made for putters); and
  • optical or electronic devices.

Odd: " facsimiles of golf balls or actual golf balls incorporated into the head". Odyssey 2-ball putter? They even call it "2-ball". If those white circles aren't facsimiles of balls, what are they?

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

Odd: "facsimiles of golf balls or actual golf balls incorporated into the head". Odyssey 2-ball putter? They even call it "2-ball". If those white circles aren't facsimiles of balls, what are they?

wow I could be in trouble

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Willie Malay

Odd: "facsimiles of golf balls or actual golf balls incorporated into the head". Odyssey 2-ball putter? They even call it "2-ball". If those white circles aren't facsimiles of balls, what are they?

Balls are 3 dimensional. Circles are 2 dimensional.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Damn, no electronic devices on my putter? That laser was working great for me...

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Note: This thread is 4237 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!