IGNORED

My Swing (Onoku)

Onoku
Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 11 years (but I haven't played much in the last 5)

My current handicap index or average score is: Haven't played a round in long enough to tell you

My typical ball flight is: pushed right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I'm trying to fix my whole swing from the ground up and I'm sure that there are loads of things wrong with it right now. The biggest thing I am noticing at the moment though is that for some reason, the club is turning over in my hands and I can't figure out why.

Videos:

Look at your lead hand at the setup and then when you show your grip. Hard to see but looks like you start with back of hand facing up and end with it facing target. Please try a video that shows the club head through the entire swing.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Onoku

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 11 years (but I haven't played much in the last 5)

My current handicap index or average score is: Haven't played a round in long enough to tell you

My typical ball flight is: pushed right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I'm trying to fix my whole swing from the ground up and I'm sure that there are loads of things wrong with it right now. The biggest thing I am noticing at the moment though is that for some reason, the club is turning over in my hands and I can't figure out why.

Videos:

What I see is you trying to scoop the ball up into the air with your right hand, totally dominant, and your left hand, which doesn't look to be gripped right from the outset, having no real part to play.

The handle lays in the life line of your left hand instead of being, correctly, placed under the heel pad. This weakens the grip in that hand to the point of being virtually redundant.

Originally Posted by burner

What I see is you trying to scoop the ball up into the air with your right hand, totally dominant, and your left hand, which doesn't look to be gripped right from the outset, having no real part to play.

The handle lays in the life line of your left hand instead of being, correctly, placed under the heel pad. This weakens the grip in that hand to the point of being virtually redundant.

Thanks burner. I just found out what you meant about the life line. After watching a bunch of videos from "The Golf Fix", I see that my grip was all kinds of wrong. Hopefully I can fix it and get some kind of consistency.

Hey man like the swing. I'm no expert, but one thing I noticed was your feet position at address. I used to have them facing straight at the ball like you do and now have them facing about 30 degrees out. It really helps give your hips more ability to rotate. Hope this helps!

Don't know anything about this guy on youtube, but he seems address what I'm talking about:

Thanks burner. I just found out what you meant about the life line. After watching a bunch of videos from "The Golf Fix", I see that my grip was all kinds of wrong. Hopefully I can fix it and get some kind of consistency.

Glad if it helps and, curiously enough, I played today with a guy with exactly the same problem.

He was playing his first round with a brand new set of clubs - swapped his Callaways for Yonex and was playing them in, so to speak. Well he got frustrated to the point of asking me if it was him or the new clubs.

It was him, on several counts, but the grip was the most obvious thing for him to relate to; sadly he didn't and continued to play shite.

Nice new clubs though.

By the way; your new grip will feel awful for a while but please persevere with it because there is not much wrong otherwise.

Originally Posted by meta87

Hey man like the swing. I'm no expert, but one thing I noticed was your feet position at address. I used to have them facing straight at the ball like you do and now have them facing about 30 degrees out. It really helps give your hips more ability to rotate. Hope this helps!

Don't know anything about this guy on youtube, but he seems address what I'm talking about:

And that guy gets paid for that! Pure nonsense.

Originally Posted by burner

And that guy gets paid for that! Pure nonsense.

Too be honest I didnt watch the whole video so you may be right. I was just trying to find a video talking about flaring your feet at address. Are you saying that flaring your feet is pure nonsense?

This is a pic I found on another thread posted by mvmac:

Nothing wrong with flaring the feet a little ; it helps pivot motion both ways. Like all else though it can be overdone.

The nonsense is all that prattle about creating torque by restricting hip turn and adding shoulder turn to create a spring like effect.

You will not get a decent shoulder turn without the assistance of hip turn but, again, things can be overdone so a little circumspection is advisable. Just do what feels comfortable for you and your build/body shape and don't force it.

The back swing is purely a positioning move and nothing to do with cranking up torque, etc.

Nothing gets stretched to the point of having elastic properties that miraculously spring into action once you release the torque .

Initiating the down swing requires separate and independent actions to any violent uncoiling or releasing of torque.

I went to the range today with the new grip and it felt good. I was hitting my irons straight and solid for the most part, but I am still having my club turn in my hands.

Here you go mate, I found this which might help.

The really good stuff (its just about all really good) is at approx' 2.30 mins and 4.10.

Please completely disregard the total nonsense about gripping it lightly that the guy concludes with. You should grip it tightly enough so that someone gripping the head and trying to pull the club out of your hands cannot do so.

Note: This thread is 4214 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!