IGNORED

Score = 95 - 2 x GIRs

tdinneen
Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

it's more of a barometer to measure your improvement. If you don't care about analysing your score and stats, then it doesn't matter. For those that do want to improve, it's a good analysis tool.

Thanks for the reply. But, I don't understand what your point is.

I keep track of my score and I analyze my scores for "raw" numbers, averages and trends. But, I have no idea in the world how "Score = 95 - 2 x GIRs'' is supposed to help me. At the end of a round, I know where I "threw" away strokes and where I "saved" strokes. I know if I hit balls OB, if I hit a couple of iron shots fat, if I (unconsciously) tried to kill a couple of drives and ended up hitting pull hooks into the rough, if I got a sand-save or two, whatever -- it's not rocket science. Then I sit down & do the computations of 95-2*GIR and I'm still scratching my head saying, "So, what?"

"you hit four greens but average 83--you probably have an extraordinary short game. You need to focus on hitting more greens."

Thats me right there, i cannot hit greens at all. I gotta work on it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I agree.

It is almost impossible to 5 putt. You would have to get a muscle spasm or be putting on giant greens.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Last week I hit 13 of 18 greens. Yeah, it was an exceptional ball striking day. I would say I hit on average 9-10 GIR. I shot a 75 that day. According to the formula, I should have shot 69. There were a couple of shots I left out there, but i think my best could have been 71. I 3 putted one time an got up and down about 65%.

I think this formula is way off, only because I have hit 5 GIR before and shot 76. I dont think it factors in a person's short game ability at all.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

It is almost impossible to 5 putt. You would have to get a muscle spasm or be putting on giant greens.

Oh, believe me, it's possible. I just go back and forth across the hole from three feet. I pull or push the putt, miss, it goes three feet past. Repeat again and again.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

30 putts isn't awesome putting. Let's get back on topic now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/stats.htm Phil is leading with 1.725 putts/hole = 31.05 putts per round, one full stroke worse than you. To find the guy averaging one stroke worse than that, you have to go down to #46, Bob Heintz. Which means, when it comes to putting, you're making Phil Mickelson look like Bob Heintz. Are you sure that's now good putting??!!?!?

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• Administrator

You're looking at the wrong stats:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/119.html The leader is currently 27.69 putts per round. Phil hits a lot more greens than I do, and thus, makes more two-putt pars. Or two-putt birdies on par fives.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're looking at the wrong stats:

Oh, my bad, that's only for PPGIR. Still, 30 PPR is tour quality.

• Administrator
Oh, my bad, that's only for PPGIR. Still, 30 PPR is tour quality.

But it's not when you only hit 7.2 greens in regulation. That's what I've said a few times now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But it's not when you only hit 7.2 greens in regulation. That's what I've said a few times now.

I got ya' know, basically the interplay between how long your first putt generally is. When you hit a GIR, you tend to have a longer putt on average, than the person who misses the green and is then chipping/pitching on.

Yeah, I shoulda gotten that long ago....

Today, 30.0 putts per round on the PGA Tour would put one in 170th place in the category 2007 PGA TOUR Putts Per Round.

Yes, and we all know that the 170th guy on the Tour is generally about 30x better than the average golfer

" . . . greens in regulation (GIRs) are much more important. So important, you almost don't need to look at anything else to predict your score. The most useful score-analysis tool I've developed, called "Riccio's Rule" and first published in Golf Digest in 1987, predicts score based on GIRs: Score = 95 – 2 x GIRs."

Let's see now. If I hit zero greens-in-regulation, I should shoot 95 (95 - [2 x 0] = 95) -- I guess old what's his face is saying nobody should ever shoot higher than 95?

They do. I'm trying to collect enough 18 hole rounds to put it on the computer. I have tons and tons of 9 holers, but few if any 18 holers. I would just combine 9 holers to make enough 18's and then toss it onto a calculator on the internet. Until I get enough rounds, of course. (It's free IIRC).

What kind of club would allow you to play in a club championship without an official handicap?

• Thumbs Up 1

What kind of club would allow you to play in a club championship without an official handicap?

I've never played in a handicap championship... Every one I've ever been in, everyone played at scratch. Whats the point of being the "over 15 handicap club champion"? If you didnt beat everyone else in the tournament, then you didnt win... unless I'm missing something....
  • Upvote 1

Whats the point of being the "over 15 handicap club champion"? If you didnt beat everyone else in the tournament, then you didnt win... unless I'm missing something....

Actually, you are...the point being competition for different levels of ability.

Clubs usually have several different "flights" for their club championship, with each flight based on a handicap range or qualifying scores. Flights are then labeled Championship Flight, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc., Senior, and so forth. Way to go lamebums , you've really got this thread off track!!!

Ok, well, back on topic, then, since I started something and everyone else carried it away.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I won my club chmpionship 2 years ago and all skill levels are on the same playing ground. We have a qualifying round, which seeds you from 2-32. Last year's champion gets the #1 seed. From there on out, we play match play.

I cant see anybody sitting in the men's grill bragging about "Yea, I'm the 15 handicap and higher club champion"

Also, if you won the 2nd flight, you are not the club champion. Only people in the Championship flight can claim that.
  • Upvote 1
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!